• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RMA Returned un-repaired

Associate
OP
HAH! I tipped my PC over today so the card is vertical, and guess what? No noise. Certainly I can confirm that for my 1070 Gigabytes testing is inadequate. The card needs to be horizontal, with the fan pointing down, as we suspected, for the noise to occur.

Same thing here, stopped one fan while under load and the noise stopped, did the same with the other and it also stopped so I'm not sure which it is at this point. Also tilting the card caused the noise to stop, same as it was on the test bench. I'm disappointed that as an RMA centre an issue that seems like its on more than just my card wasn't checked a little more, or that they didn't seem to try to reproduce the issue. Seems as if they whacked it on a test bench and called it a day when it didn't make a noise.

@GIGA-Man Any advice on where to go from here?

Last edited:
Man of Honour
HAH! I tipped my PC over today so the card is vertical, and guess what?

Some fans seem to do this after awhile :( I've got some arctic cooling USB fans that are fine when vertical but if angled horizontally they start ticking after awhile at certain speeds - short of replacing the fans entirely not much can be done :s

bru

bru

Soldato
So a complete failure on their testing department then, glad you have found the cause, just got to get them to test it again.

Associate
OP
So a complete failure on their testing department then, glad you have found the cause, just got to get them to test it again.

It does look that way. I think I'll give OCUk a ring tomorrow and see if they would let me send it in without any postage cost. If overclocker's do agree then I'd also like to see what GIGA-Man's suggestion is from here. I really don't want to pay more money to send it in again, however don't mind waiting a little longer on the TAT since I've upgraded to a 1080 and will most likely keep hold of the 1060/pass it on to a relative.

Edit: The thing that has left me so sour is that in my email correspondence I was told that they couldn't hear the clicking in the original video and that it was normal fan noise, even though I forwarded them the video and they suggested I RMA for the issue. When I asked why I was told to send in the card if there wasn't a problem in the video I sent them, they explained my Consumer right's with the retailer (which I chose not to use, instead opting for the manufacturer's warranty). They didn't actually answer the question directly, instead informing me they rarely deal direct with consumer's and that I did have the option to send it back to OCuk. I'm not sure if they were blaming the fact that it was an oversight because it wasn't from a retailer, or myself for not completely diagnosing the issue before sending the card in.

Last edited:
Associate
Edit: The thing that has left me so sour is that in my email correspondence I was told that they couldn't hear the clicking in the original video and that it was normal fan noise, even though I forwarded them the video and they suggested I RMA for the issue. When I asked why I was told to send in the card if there wasn't a problem in the video I sent them, they explained my Consumer right's with the retailer (which I chose not to use, instead opting for the manufacturer's warranty). They didn't actually answer the question directly, instead informing me they rarely deal direct with consumer's and that I did have the option to send it back to OCuk. I'm not sure if they were blaming the fact that it was an oversight because it wasn't from a retailer, or myself for not completely diagnosing the issue before sending the card in.

What absolute BS. I mean there is absolutely no doubt that the noise is present and it's not normal. And also I am not sure what they are talking about when they say they rarely deal with consumers, I have always directly returned items to Gigabyte themselves. I think perhaps they were just hoping to hand the problem on to OCUK because they are convinced there isn't a problem.

I am following this thread with interest for obvious reasons ~ I have exactly the same problem as you.

Anyway, in addition to sorting out MM, I would appreciate some advice from OCUK or @GIGA-Man as to who I shuld raise an RMA whith to ensure that I don't get messed about like MM has been.

By the way, MM, Gigabyte are usually very good! I guess we all have bad days.

Soldato
Sorry to hear your having a crap experince unfortunately this is similiar to mine my card went back three times before they finally accepted it but I had to send in countless proof.

I won't touch gigabyte gpu again.

Don't let it drop though, keep doing what your doing with the proof.

Go via ocuk this time too let it be there problem to sort postage etc

Associate
OP
Just as an update, collection of the card has been issued! I was advised that in my new video (linked below) the noise could still not be distinguished, even though in all three it's pretty clear. However they did advise that they would swap the card on this occasion which I'm 100% grateful for. That is subject to it being tested in both vertical and horizontal positions. I would have expected the fan to be repaired or replaced to be honest with you, ideally I'd like to keep the same card but as long as the issue is resolved I'm happy.

I'm just surprised that they can't hear the clicking noise to be honest. They did ask that I test the GPU outside of the case, however I really don't feel like dismantling my entire PC since I don't have a spare mobo/PSU/CPU sitting around at the moment. I'd think that it's something that they would be able to check, and it shouldn't be up to me to diagnose what's actually causing the issue.

Edit: Link to video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAS_BO3bosc

Associate
Just as an update, collection of the card has been issued! I was advised that in my new video (linked below) the noise could still not be distinguished, even though in all three it's pretty clear. However they did advise that they would swap the card on this occasion which I'm 100% grateful for. That is subject to it being tested in both vertical and horizontal positions. I would have expected the fan to be repaired or replaced to be honest with you, ideally I'd like to keep the same card but as long as the issue is resolved I'm happy.

I'm just surprised that they can't hear the clicking noise to be honest. They did ask that I test the GPU outside of the case, however I really don't feel like dismantling my entire PC since I don't have a spare mobo/PSU/CPU sitting around at the moment. I'd think that it's something that they would be able to check, and it shouldn't be up to me to diagnose what's actually causing the issue.

They obviously think its something else and not the card. They still don't get that the card must be horizontal and that's why their test didn't show any rattle. This is pretty worrying really.

Caporegime

Are they deaf or what? It's easy to hear it.

Soldato
It's not obvious unless you turn the sound up. As soon as you hear it, it's that chirping/grinding noise that you get from a worn fan bearing. By testing it vertically, it's putting pressure on the worn bearings in another direction, and that's clearing up the source of the noise. Seems silly for Gigabyte to test in on a bed that not in the standard orientation of most cases.

Soldato
The fact that it stops if you touch EITHER fan implies it's a shroud issue, something is rattling or rubbing. Sorry you're having a hard time with it, it's pretty obvious that it's not behaving right.

Associate
OP
The fact that it stops if you touch EITHER fan implies it's a shroud issue, something is rattling or rubbing. Sorry you're having a hard time with it, it's pretty obvious that it's not behaving right.

Thanks for the reply, hopefully it all work's out this time round.

The card is being collected tomorrow. I'll update this thread with a resolution once I receive the card back, hopefully by the end of this week.

Soldato
Just saw this thread but can 100% say this is a fan issue. My 280X (which may have just died on me finally) has had this issue for maybe 2 years (its out of warranty) with the exact same sound. If you change the orientation of the fan (tipping the case) or even stop the fan with your finger and then let it spool back up it will disappear and can disappear for days at a time. Then suddenly it'll come back again. For me even increasing the fan speed to 90% then dropping it back down gets rid of it.

Associate
OP
Just an update for those of you who were curious as to what the resolution would be.

So sent the card on Monday, hadn’t heard anything except an email to state a new RMA number had been issued. I dropped them another email last night and received a reply this morning explaining that the card was on it’s way back and replaced as an exception which they promised, I’m pleased with that. It got delivered today, and I’ll be testing it tomorrow.

They are doubling down and claim the original card still made no noise, even when trying it with a vertical montherboard. Also the cooler wasn’t properly attached on the replacement card and there are scratches to the enclosure. I’m fine with this, I expected the card to be refurbished but a little dissapointed it’s cooler and backplate are in worse condition than the one I sent originally. As long as it work’s and I don’t have to listen to that infernal clicking I’m happy.

I’ll update the thread once more when I’ve ensured the card is functioning normally.

Back
Top Bottom