• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RMA through OcUK

Soldato
Hey everyone

I returned my faulty Gigabyte Radeon 7950 to OcUK almost two weeks ago, and they tested and sent the card on to Gigabyte on the same day (according to the email). I haven't heard anything back from Gigabyte and neither have OcUK (I contacted them for an update the other day). I've seen posts on here about their RMA service taking 3 - 5 days, but I presume that's for RMAs dealt with directly through them? The email from OcUK says it can take anywhere up to 28 days but I was hoping that this was just a general message and not specifically for this RMA. Does anyone have any experience with a Gigabyte RMA that's been done through OcUK? I have another Gigabyte 7950 that I was originally trying to use in CF (it didn't work, presumably due to the issue with my GPU), but it was borrowed from a friend and he wants the GPU back soon. I've been using that with no issues since sending the other GPU off.

The issue is an odd issue that was occurring intermittently. I sent OcUK pictures and a video of the issue. I'm hoping they've sent them through to Gigabyte to help them see the issue.

The video is below:

Thanks all!

Edit: I just wanted to put up here on the first page that the serial number policy issue I experienced during the process of this RMA has been reviewed by Gigabyte and it will now be handled by proof of purchase rather than tracked by serial number. I've had confirmation from Gigabyte regarding this and I said I'd amend my post here to show that. They'll also be posting something up shortly.

Last edited:
I've been looking around and this doesn't seem to be a common issue but it does happen every so often.

Still not heard from OcUK or Gigabyte though :(

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. I contacted OcUK on Thursday, they said they'd contact Gigabyte but I heard nothing back from them. I'll try that other post :)

So Gigabyte have rejected my RMA due to it being out of warranty according to the date of manufacture. I purchased it from OcUK on the 27th March 2013 and it has a 3 year warranty, but according to Gigabyte the serial number of the product puts the manufacturing date as January 2013 so the warranty has now expired. OcUK have kindly offered me a partial refund, but I don't understand how Gigabyte can operate this way when a company as large as OcUK is vouching for it being under warranty based on date of purchase still. Very frustrating.

Edit: I just thought I'd post up that a very helpful chap at Gigabyte is looking into this for me as we speak. Despite my message above, I don't want anyone to think that Gigabyte haven't been helpful in this situation. The person I've been dealing with by email has been very prompt and extremely helpful so that's a big plus :)

Last edited:
I'd find it weird that any company would go by date of manufacture unless you didn't have a proof of purchase. It's conceivable that stock could sit unsold for months or even years, but if you buy brand new from an authorised retailer that shouldn't affect your warranty.

Hopefully it'll all work out once they look into it.

it does suck that, but here the quote from gigabyte:

GIGABYTE determines warranty based on the manufacture date. The manufacture date can be verified by the serial number found on the product. The first four digits after "SN" determine the year and week of manufacturing date.

It's dumb that's it's based on the manafacturing date.

Old post, but this post on their forum

http://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=85.msg7444#msg7444

Seems like for people from the UK/Ireland, they can go on purchase if you have proof.

Really should say though if it's from date on the product description. Not just three year warranty.

Also the info for warranty is not on the UK site for some reason or wasn't last I checked.

I'd find it weird that any company would go by date of manufacture unless you didn't have a proof of purchase. It's conceivable that stock could sit unsold for months or even years, but if you buy brand new from an authorised retailer that shouldn't affect your warranty.

Hopefully it'll all work out once they look into it.

I have a Gigabyte motherboard, and had no idea that it was based off of manafacture date until this thread. Just checked my board now (GA-X99-SLI), which I got early August and manafacturing date puts it in early May, which isn't too bad, but this board is/was in a bundle that seemed pretty popular, for something less popular it could be much worse :(.

Last edited:
Well the most annoying thing from my point of view is that I sent the card off on the 18th February, it was received by OcUK on the 19th and then sent to Gigabyte on the same day. We're now on the 11th March, 22 days after the card was sent off to Gigabyte and I had to chase both OcUK and Gigabyte for updates on the situation. Now if Gigabyte change their stance and accept the RMA, I've likely got another few weeks wait before I get whatever they're going to sort for me. Throughout the process I've emailed OcUK several times for updates and at no point did anyone tell me that it had been rejected. When I got a reply from Gigabyte to say they didn't even have the card yesterday, I then had to phone OcUK to find out what was going on. I was then put on hold for ages and when the chap came back to me I was staggered when he told me that it had been rejected by Gigabyte for that reason.

The partial refund is a nice gesture but it doesn't cover anywhere near the cost of a card of the same range that the 7950 would have come from when I bought it. I'd have to pay a fair difference for a better card based around the price I paid for the 7950. I know you can argue that I've had good use from the card, but on the flip side you can also argue that the card shouldn't have developed a fault and if it hadn't, it'd still be a more than capable card for my PC right now and would do for another year at least.

This is bizarre. You don't even get to see the serial number until you buy the thing. Just searched and others have met with this response before. Even if Gigabyte do eventually give in, surely they are risking their reputation by pulling this on people now and then?

This guarantee from date of manufacture sounds absurd!

So I bought my 8-Pack X99 bundle just before Black Friday 2015, the Gigabyte Gaming 5P motherboard has a 3 year g'tee, except that g'tee period will run out around May 2018 (~2.5 years after my purchase)? OK then...

OP, do you have a digital or hard receipt for your card purchase?

Well the most annoying thing from my point of view is that I sent the card off on the 18th February, it was received by OcUK on the 19th and then sent to Gigabyte on the same day. We're now on the 11th March, 22 days after the card was sent off to Gigabyte and I had to chase both OcUK and Gigabyte for updates on the situation. Now if Gigabyte change their stance and accept the RMA, I've likely got another few weeks wait before I get whatever they're going to sort for me. Throughout the process I've emailed OcUK several times for updates and at no point did anyone tell me that it had been rejected. When I got a reply from Gigabyte to say they didn't even have the card yesterday, I then had to phone OcUK to find out what was going on. I was then put on hold for ages and when the chap came back to me I was staggered when he told me that it had been rejected by Gigabyte for that reason.

The partial refund is a nice gesture but it doesn't cover anywhere near the cost of a card of the same range that the 7950 would have come from when I bought it. I'd have to pay a fair difference for a better card based around the price I paid for the 7950. I know you can argue that I've had good use from the card, but on the flip side you can also argue that the card shouldn't have developed a fault and if it hadn't, it'd still be a more than capable card for my PC right now and would do for another year at least.

As of yesterday we've accepted the RMA for your card through OCUK and we will review the manufacture date policy. I think it's not a big deal, just an oversight.

wowww so are we meant to demand the serial number from shops before buying??
do all gigabyte products now need a "best before" sticky label like in supermarkets???

not cool gigabyte, maybe other companies do this too and i have no idea?? i dont see how a buyer would ever know how long warranty they have until after they bought, so how is saying 3years warranty not false advertising?

"I think it's not a big deal, just an oversight."

Maybe it's just an oversight to you, but when i shell out a ton of money i'd like to know i'm going to get the three year warranty promised, starting from when i bought the product and not when it got built.

"I think it's not a big deal, just an oversight."

Maybe it's just an oversight to you, but when i shell out a ton of money i'd like to know i'm going to get the three year warranty promised, starting from when i bought the product and not when it got built.

I agree, but if you are going to quote me, quote everything I said. We will review this policy and get back to you.

I understand that you'll review it, but saying it's not a big deal when actually it is a very big deal makes the issue seem small to you.

Thank you for responding too.

Rich.

Back
Top Bottom