• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RMA through OcUK

I agree that the card was a good replacement, there was no issue there, but it's a brand new card with no warranty and if anything did go wrong, that's essentially £190 gone. I also had terrible issues with HIS previously so by choice I wouldn't buy one of their cards again.
If you are getting £190 back as refund for the 7950, then yes it make perfect sense to take the money and buy a new card instead since it will have full warranty :)

If you are getting £190 back as refund for the 7950, then yes it make perfect sense to take the money and buy a new card instead since it will have full warranty :)

It's not £190 I'm getting back for the partial refund, nowhere close tbh but paying the difference to upgrade to another card for a full warranty seemed the most sensible option as it's a brand new card, and a new warranty from today.

Well, in my opinion it's a poor showing from Gigabyte here and seems OcUK have stepped in to resolve the problem.

So when/if my 980ti gives up, 2.5 years down the line do i just suck it up and move on? And then do i buy a trusted EVGA warranted card next time?

Come on Gigabyte, it's not the customer service i expected from such a company.

CHokKA can i ask, do you think you got your monies worth out of the 7950?

Well, in my opinion it's a poor showing from Gigabyte here and seems OcUK have stepped in to resolve the problem.

So when/if my 980ti gives up, 2.5 years down the line do i just suck it up and move on? And then do i buy a trusted EVGA warranted card next time?

Come on Gigabyte, it's not the customer service i expected from such a company.

CHokKA can i ask, do you think you got your monies worth out of the 7950?

It was a good card and I'm disappointed it went wrong. It actually started exhibiting issues just over two years into my having it but I didn't realise there was a three year warranty on it at the time so I never did anything. In terms of use from the card, I do feel like I got good use out of it and I'd still be happily using it right now if it hadn't been problematic. So to summarise I suppose I can say yes, I do feel like I got my money's worth, I just feel like I've been let down with the way the warranty has been handled.

Hmm, I purchased a Gigabyte variant 980 Ti due to their good reputation and fast RMA, having previously used Asus/MSI (with whom I had no problems across 3 separate RMA's). This saga has definitely given me food for thought and I'll consider carefully when upgrade time next rolls around. Here's hoping I don't have to return either that card or my motherboard for any reason! A warranty from date of manufacture should clearly be stated in their product descriptions as that could be quite misleading - whether that responsibility lies with the retailer or Gigabyte I couldn't say.

It was a good card and I'm disappointed it went wrong. It actually started exhibiting issues just over two years into my having it but I didn't realise there was a three year warranty on it at the time so I never did anything. In terms of use from the card, I do feel like I got good use out of it and I'd still be happily using it right now if it hadn't been problematic. So to summarise I suppose I can say yes, I do feel like I got my money's worth, I just feel like I've been let down with the way the warranty has been handled.

And that is what would make me/you consider another brand in future.

What card do you think you'll get now then?

And that is what would make me/you consider another brand in future.

What card do you think you'll get now then?

I ordered an Asus through OcUK earlier. Their new RMA service in place with OcUK swung it for me. It was a bit more on the price vs other cards but if the RMA works as well as they say it should, it's worth it to not have this same experience again.

I have also had bad experiences with GPU RMA, The way I see it is that businesses know these PC components are expensive so will try ALL they can not to replace them.

Its poor show on gigabyte that's for sure I would say the partial refund from OCUK is also a bit hard to swallow but I guess really its down to Gigabyte.

Another one struck of the list to buy from!!

my experience with Gigabyte RMa has been good their products no so much

Windforce 7970 - fan failed
Got replaced in 3 days bought from OCUK
Windforce 7970 - Fan Failed
Got replaced in 5 days bought from OCUK
Sold my 7970 Bought a 7990
7990 Died with artfiacting after 9 months
Detailed my report on cards to Gigabyte/OCUK I got a full refund on the 7990 & bought 2x 980s [gigabyte yes] (basically getting one free)

So qaulity wise Gigabyte not so good then, but RMA had no issues
i always write detailed reports on my RMA good 1 page of A4 with detailed instructions on what tested & a way to reproduce. in step by step bullet points
this always served me well with OCUK

Last edited:
It keeps getting better! Even though OcUK have issued me with the partial refund, and I took delivery of the new new Asus GPU that I paid the extra for, I've now had an email from Gigabyte to say that they've finally received the card back today and the engineer has said that the warranty is void because there's a component that's been removed from it and there are scratches from the removal. He sent me some pictures:

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

Now fortunately, I took numerous photos of the card on my iPhone 6 whilst I was packaging it up, just in case anything happened to it whilst in transit. Here are mine, clearly showing the missing part still fixed to the board. They're the full-sized images from my iPhone so I've put them in a spoiler tag:

GPU01.jpg

GPU02.jpg
I don't quite know how something like this could have happened to such a small part on the board. Granted, it's made a trip from me to OcUK, then from OcUK to Gigabyte where it was rejected on the serial number, then it went from Gigabyte to back OcUK, and then again from OcUK to Gigabyte after it was all cleared up, so I suppose it's possible, but for there to be scratches present as well? I don't know what's going on here, but something isn't right. I've sent my pictures in (along with a few others showing the complete packaging and then the subsequent collection of the package a few minutes after sealing the box, which can be corroborated by the date and timestamp on the images. I was in the middle of packaging it all up when the courier turned up and had to wait for me to finish).

Now I really don't know what on earth has gone on here, but it's all very strange to say the least. I have emailed OcUK as well because this needs to be investigated. I know I have a new card, but I don't know where things will go from here as far as Gigabyte are concerned.

This must be leaving a sour taste in your mouth?

Not much you can do now is there as OcUk have paid out on it.

Well there's not much I can do, but OcUK and Gigabyte can figure out between themselves just exactly what has happened in this situation. I've been left without a card for almost a month and I've paid out extra to get an equivalent value card to what my 7950 was worth when I originally bought it, and now we come to a point where again I'm being told that the warranty has been voided for sure due to damage to the actual card itself and then asking me how it happened. I can prove that it wasn't me so something somewhere has happened to cause this damage.

Sour taste would be putting it lightly to be honest. I find the entire situation has been awful, from both OcUK and Gigabyte. I've been left in the dark throughout this entire process, only getting information when I ask for it, and I only found out that it was originally rejected when I involved someone at Gigabyte about this all. When I enquired about what was going on last week, nobody at OcUK or Gigabyte seemed to know. Neither Gigabyte nor OcUK could tell me where the GPU was even though it was supposedly sent back on Monday of last week. I know it's now dealt with but I'm not very happy with how it's turned out after everything that's gone on.

That's gigabyte off my motherboard/GPU list for sure.

You should have had a replacement 7950/280X sent to you within the quoted 28 days, that's what you're entitled to as the card was advertised as having a 3 year warranty.

Did note the earlier comment of the Gigabyte rep ref. commencement of warranty period ; I await his answer with interest.

They don't seem to be in a rush to clarify anything with customers at the moment.

That's gigabyte off my motherboard/GPU list for sure.

You should have had a replacement 7950/280X sent to you within the quoted 28 days, that's what you're entitled to as the card was advertised as having a 3 year warranty.

+1 totally agree there mate.

I've spent quite a lot of money over the years on gigabyte motherboards and several gpu's, but hearing stories like this really does make you think.

Really feel for you OP

Rich.

I ordered an Asus through OcUK earlier. Their new RMA service in place with OcUK swung it for me. It was a bit more on the price vs other cards but if the RMA works as well as they say it should, it's worth it to not have this same experience again.

Well having just bought an Asus 390 strix two weeks ago and finding it faulty on receipt i sent it back to OCUK last week who got it Thursday I had my new card sitting on my desk Monday before midday so i can say that the new RMA service for ASUS that overclockers provides works very well.

Back
Top Bottom