• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RMA through OcUK

I always buy through OCUK because I have always had very positive experiences with their customer services when things on the odd occasion go wrong.

I am glad the Gigabyte warranty thing has been sorted out, especially as I bought my first ever Gigabyte mobo and GPU last year.

I think OCUK made a decent offer on the proposed replacement card albeit no warranty, but that is to be expected if the 3 year original warranty was up any way.

But that's the point, the original 3 year warranty was not up. Gigabyte had decided the start point of the warranty to be from the date of manufacture.
How is that fair on the consumer when they don't know the date of manufacture? How is it fair that it is 3 years warranty but not from the point of sale but the date it left the production line? It could sit in a warehouse for a year and if the current pricing is anything to go by, not really depreciate.

When I see a warranty of 3 years, I take that as a guarantee that it will work at least that long under normal use (ie not mining in cramped conditions etc). So when it conks out before then, I would fully expect the manufacturer to take it back and the shop to sort me out with a fully working replacement or better spec (why should I be punished for the inconvenience of having a faulty product?).

Plus this wasn't a cheap purchase (the card had a value of at least £240 back then), so that further compounds the fact that it was poor service to try getting out of finding a fix or replacement.

Wow, I'm away from this thread for a few days and things heat up!

Personally id have taken the 380x that was offered. Surely you could've sold it for more than the partial refund received?

Well I didn't for several reasons and I still wouldn't if I had to do it again. The partial refund that I was given wasn't close to the £188 for the 380x but, after all the hassle I'd been through for the month, why should I be expected to accept a card that was never in the mix, and then have to go through the hassle of selling it on with no warranty left? How much would you pay for a GPU that retails at £190 brand new with no warranty on it? I'd have been lucky to sell it for £120 (which was less than the partial refund) with no warranty. Would you want to spend all that money on a GPU that has no backup on it when you could spend another £50 - £60 on a card that's brand new and also has a full warranty? I had to weigh up the potential for getting a new card as soon as possible, against going through yet more hassle just to arrive at that same point. I chose the option that offered the least amount of headache for myself. I'd already been through weeks of going back and forth between OcUK and Gigabyte. I just wanted an end to it all. Sometimes time isn't worth that kind of hassle.

The principle here is that I had a faulty card and it should have been replaced under warranty. I originally purchased a Gigabyte card because I was happy with that brand, and I then had to spend almost a month waiting for nothing to happen before all of a sudden receiving an email telling me my HIS 380x was being prepared for dispatch. OcUK had never even contacted me prior to this email to agree this with me. As I explained in my previous post, whilst the gesture was appreciated, I didn't appreciate just receiving an email about a new card being sent to me when I had no idea of the circumstances. It was then up to me to contact OcUK to establish just exactly why they were sending me a new card from a different manufacturer. That's then when all of this came to light.

Me too. Seems daft not taking it and selling it on, it was a great offer!

Unless you were me throughout that entire month, I don't see that it's fair that you say I was daft for not taking that card and selling it on. You weren't the one having to deal with both OcUK and Gigabyte every few days throughout this debacle. I'd challenge you to be in my shoes under the same situation and then see how happy you would be to receive a GPU with no prior consultation from a manufacturer that you'd had poor service from in the past. I had absolutely no choice in what manufacturer was selected, it was just done for me and I had no involvement in that process until I made the call to OcUK to find out just why I'd been sent an email regarding a replacement item being selected and sent to me.

As it stands, I stuck to my principles and someone at OcUK was very helpful in sorting things out for me. Let's just say that I've now ended up with something far more favourable than the HIS 380X, for far less than I'd have originally had to spend to make up the difference between the partial refund and the card I purchased. And, I'll also add that Gigabyte threw a little something my way as a gesture of goodwill as well. Perhaps that goes some way to highlight just how totally backward this entire RMA situation was, and how hard OcUK and Gigabyte ended up working to sort it all out, even if the outcome wasn't any normal RMA process.

Wow, I'm away from this thread for a few days and things heat up!

Well I didn't for several reasons and I still wouldn't if I had to do it again. The partial refund that I was given wasn't close to the £188 for the 380x but, after all the hassle I'd been through for the month, why should I be expected to accept a card that was never in the mix, and then have to go through the hassle of selling it on with no warranty left? How much would you pay for a GPU that retails at £190 brand new with no warranty on it? I'd have been lucky to sell it for £120 (which was less than the partial refund) with no warranty. Would you want to spend all that money on a GPU that has no backup on it when you could spend another £50 - £60 on a card that's brand new and also has a full warranty? I had to weigh up the potential for getting a new card as soon as possible, against going through yet more hassle just to arrive at that same point. I chose the option that offered the least amount of headache for myself. I'd already been through weeks of going back and forth between OcUK and Gigabyte. I just wanted an end to it all. Sometimes time isn't worth that kind of hassle.

The principle here is that I had a faulty card and it should have been replaced under warranty. I originally purchased a Gigabyte card because I was happy with that brand, and I then had to spend almost a month waiting for nothing to happen before all of a sudden receiving an email telling me my HIS 380x was being prepared for dispatch. OcUK had never even contacted me prior to this email to agree this with me. As I explained in my previous post, whilst the gesture was appreciated, I didn't appreciate just receiving an email about a new card being sent to me when I had no idea of the circumstances. It was then up to me to contact OcUK to establish just exactly why they were sending me a new card from a different manufacturer. That's then when all of this came to light.

Unless you were me throughout that entire month, I don't see that it's fair that you say I was daft for not taking that card and selling it on. You weren't the one having to deal with both OcUK and Gigabyte every few days throughout this debacle. I'd challenge you to be in my shoes under the same situation and then see how happy you would be to receive a GPU with no prior consultation from a manufacturer that you'd had poor service from in the past. I had absolutely no choice in what manufacturer was selected, it was just done for me and I had no involvement in that process until I made the call to OcUK to find out just why I'd been sent an email regarding a replacement item being selected and sent to me.

As it stands, I stuck to my principles and someone at OcUK was very helpful in sorting things out for me. Let's just say that I've now ended up with something far more favourable than the HIS 380X, for far less than I'd have originally had to spend to make up the difference between the partial refund and the card I purchased. And, I'll also add that Gigabyte threw a little something my way as a gesture of goodwill as well. Perhaps that goes some way to highlight just how totally backward this entire RMA situation was, and how hard OcUK and Gigabyte ended up working to sort it all out, even if the outcome wasn't any normal RMA process.

I totally agree the card should've been repaired or replaced under warranty. I do think a 380x was a good offer for a 7950 however if you got more than £120 partial refund that's a result. I had expected you getting much much less than that. :)

Back
Top Bottom