• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RMA through OcUK

Within the first two weeks it would be OCUK who deal with it anyway, iirc it's the first 28 days, with any manflufacturer... DOA cards are dealt with completely differently to RMA

After having defended Gigabyte I'm actually pretty disappointed with how this has degenerated and I can't begin to imagine how frustrated the OP is.

From what I can see the card has been to OCUK, to Gigabyte, back to OCUK then back to Gigabyte. The missing component was obviously lost during one of these unboxing, rattling around on the test bench, testing, reboxing stages and there is no way the OP should be held responsible for this.

The Gigabyte rep is now conspicuous by his absence, hopefully not breathing a sigh of relief now that OCUK have stepped in and offered a partial refund so he doesn't have to authorise a replacement and make his figures look bad.

When I come to replace my Gigabyte 780Ti Gigabyte certainly will not be in my shopping basket until they buck their ideas up, EVGA or Asus for me.

Ouch, that's a pretty bad state of affairs, not great from OCUK and terrible from Gigabyte. I'm curious as to the Gigabyte reps response to this with regards to the warranty. Fortunately the retailer I procured my 980 Ti from has superb customer service so I don't anticipate any issues should I have to return it. The card itself is excellent too.

To the OP 'm glad you're happy with your new Asus and in future vote with your feet.

I find this post a bit disturbing, I have an old gigabyte x58 board and its been brilliant. This has seriously put into doubt my next Pascal GPU purchase, I was going to go gigabyte. but I may now go the OCUK reference route (if they do one) or EVGA who I believe now RMA are direct through OCUK.

I find this post a bit disturbing, I have an old gigabyte x58 board and its been brilliant. This has seriously put into doubt my next Pascal GPU purchase, I was going to go gigabyte. but I may now go the OCUK reference route (if they do one) or EVGA who I believe now RMA are direct through OCUK.

get anything, just get it on credit card so you have an extra buffer in case anything goes wrong - if you are persistent a credit card company will pay out as its simply not worth them fighting something over a couple of hundred quid when lawyers cost £250 an hour

Hey everyone

I've refrained from posting up more in this thread whilst I let OcUK and Gigabyte figure out between themselves just what happened with my RMA. I know the original issue with the RMA being rejected wasn't great, but Gigabyte have reviewed their policy on this. They'll also announce something soon. In the end, the mixup occurred between both companies and they have both worked hard to resolve this for me, despite the hiccups along the way. I've had good service from both sides in the end.

As for Gigabyte, I can honestly say that now that the serial number policy has been altered, I'd be happy to purchase another Gigabyte product in the future. They're one of only a few manufacturers to back their products with a 3 year warranty, so if it had been from a different manufacturer I wouldn't even have been able to RMA the card when I did. That they base it off the serial number is an oversight but I'm glad they've acknowledged this and are trying to sort it out.

Regarding the damage to my card when it was received by Gigabyte, the investigation of this is ongoing and hopefully someone can figure out what happened there. Hopefully they can get to the bottom of this.

At the end of the day, mistakes happen and no company gets things right everytime. But what sets them apart is their customer service, and I can honestly say that in the end, Gigabyte were excellent in handling my issue, despite it having taken a bit longer than it normally would. The person I've been dealing with is Rodrigo (Gigabyte-Gaming on the forum) and he has been most helpful throughout this whole issue. He's gone out of his way to assist me with this.

Hopefully this puts your minds at ease with any future decisions regarding Gigabyte products.

Last edited:
For the past week we've been holding off to posting in this thread in hopes of solving things for Chokka as a priority and cleaning up our image that has been wrongfully tainted throughout this whole deal. I hope Chokka, who is the only person in this situation who's opinion should matters can back us up.

The issues that need to be addressed here and we would like to tackle are the following:

1.- The 3rd year warranty term.
Our UK RMA office had guidelines that were provided by our HQ. These guidelines stated that we were to use the SN of the card to determine which week it was manufactured and this when the 3rd year warranty ended. We understand that this policy is wrong an as of this week this guideline has been retired.

Our new guideline will be:
-If the user can provide proof of purchase, the date on the invoice will mark the beginning of the 3 year warranty.
-If the user can't produce a proof of purchase, we will use the only other point of data we have, which is the date the card left our european warehouse, and give it an additional 2 week buffer. We use 2 weeks because that's the standard turnaround time for graphics cards.

2.- How this particular RMA was handled.
We take full responsibility for denying the RMA on the first place. That was 100% our mistake and it's addressed on 1.-

Chokka sent the card on 2/19 for RMA but only contacted us on 3/10 and on that same date we agreed to receive the card on our RMA center to service it. But 3 weeks went by before we could do something. What happened during those 3 weeks? We don't know.

The card finally reached our RMA center (for the very first time) on 3/21, but it was damaged when we received it so yet again our engineer had to mark it as out of warranty for user induced damage. How did it get damaged? Again, we don't know.
Luckily, Chokka had proof that the card was fine when it left his side and that it was packed properly.
At this point the 28 days for solving the issue were up, so OcUK provided Chokka with a partial refund so he could buy a new card and closed this issue. That's all the information we have received.

-----------------------------------

As you can see, besides the initial mistake which didn't even take an hour to ammend when notified, there was never much we could do to fix Chokka's issue.
We would like to close by saying that in this business we can only try to do the best we can for our customers with whatever tools we have on our disposal, but sometimes things get out of our control and it only takes a small mistake or misunderstanding to damage our reputation forever. Even when it's not our fault.

"there was never much we could do to fix Chokka's issue."

Something very wrong with you're rules and guidelines if that is the case I would suggest.

As a customer (and owner of one of your products) its not very reassuring.

You're customer services looks good in terms of communication but looks like it is working with its hands tied in terms of the guidelines and rules you have in place.

"there was never much we could do to fix Chokka's issue."

Something very wrong with you're rules and guidelines if that is the case I would suggest.

Please read the complete sentence: "As you can see, besides the initial mistake which didn't even take an hour to ammend when notified, there was never much we could do to fix Chokka's issue." The initial mistake was to deny RMA based on a policy that is now gone and explained on my post.

As a customer (and owner of one of your products) its not very reassuring.

You're customer services looks good in terms of communication but looks like it is working with its hands tied in terms of the guidelines and rules you have in place.

You can be sure that we will do everything to provide the level of service we promised.

I did read the entire thing. Hope you take it as customer feedback rather than negative thread drama.

Issue was resolved but the processes gives the impression of being somewhat clunky and inflexible, which I suspect may be as frustrating for c.s. staff as it is for the customer.

I did read the entire thing. Hope you take it as customer feedback rather than negative thread drama.

Issue was resolved but the processes gives the impression of being somewhat clunky and inflexible, which I suspect may be as frustrating for c.s. staff as it is for the customer.

Gigabyte seem to be saying that they had no communication from OCUK, that they didn't receive the item from OCUK (where as OCUK told the customer it had been back to them twice) and that the item was damaged by OCUK (or from improper shipping by them). Would be interesting to see what OCUK think about that.

Clearly someone was at fault here in terms of both lack of communication and damaging the item, and it looks like Gigabyte and OCUK are pointing the finger at each other, which doesn't really help in terms of improving things for next time.

Do we avoid Gigabyte but buy from OCUK, or do we avoid OCUK but still buy Gigabyte?

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused about the partial refund.. if the card was under warranty, shouldn't it be directly replaced with the same or equivalent new card.

I hate to defend Taxdogers site that begins with A, before I used overclockers I bought a GTX560 it failed under warranty and said taxdogers replaced with a GTX660.

I'm a bit confused about the partial refund.. if the card was under warranty, shouldn't it be directly replaced with the same or equivalent new card.

I hate to defend Taxdogers site that begins with A, before I used overclockers I bought a GTX560 it failed under warranty and said taxdogers replaced with a GTX660.

As has been said, I was offered a replacement by OcUK after the 28 days but it was a HIS 380X with no warranty on it. I didn't want to take the risk of having a replacement card with no warranty so I chose to take the partial refund (which was a fair bit less than the cost of the 380X) so that I could purchase a new card that had a full warranty on it. That was initiated by OcUK at the time because the RMA had gone on for so long.

sorry that's still not good enough for me.. a warranty should be replaced with a new card the same or equivalent with fresh warranty, unless of course the card can be repaired which is unlikely.. as long as your happy that's what counts, but imo (and its just my opinion) OCUK and Gigabyte seem to have got away without honouring the warranty. I'm no legal expert so I may be totally wrong

sorry that's still not good enough for me.. a warranty should be replaced with a new card the same or equivalent with fresh warranty, unless of course the card can be repaired which is unlikely.. as long as your happy that's what counts, but imo (and its just my opinion) OCUK and Gigabyte seem to have got away without honouring the warranty. I'm no legal expert so I may be totally wrong

Not with fresh warranty, a manufacturer would only give you the remainder of your warranty on a replacement.

OcUK have just barely done what they are legally required to do, but arguably it sounds like the partial they offered was below what you might get if you complained to the credit card company, particularly as it sounds like it was damaged whilst in their care.

Both OcUK and Gigabyte worked something out for me though so it's all good :) As has been mentioned, if it had been repaired the warranty would be whatever was left and any replacement gets the leftover warranty as well. I'm better off now even though I had to pay money toward a new GPU :)

Back
Top Bottom