• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Gigabyte RMA through OcUK

For the past week we've been holding off to posting in this thread in hopes of solving things for Chokka
Just a heads up you may have been better of posting something along the lines of "whilst I investigate this issue and our processes to provide the best outcome for Chokka and our customers in the future I will not be posting in this thread until I have something positive to report." At least that way folks like myself would not have jumped to the conclusion from your lack of input that you were no longer interested in this issue.

All this mucking about to save a few quid is a false economy for the company involved. What's wrong with "our product packed up early, here's what we're going to do to fix the matter for you"?

It had a 3 year warranty, it broke, they should fix or replace with an equivalent....not hard is it. Anything to try and save a few £!

Agreed.

I will not be buying a gigabyte card and I will avoid buying from OCUK in the future when it comes to GPU's

This is what I was saying earlier, companies just want to save £ but making you either jump through hoops or making you wait ages so you turn around and take the "partial refund" so they can stay quids in.

I'll go against the grain here, I think overall the response has been ok from both companies. Is it the ideal (by which I mean send the card back and receive one within a week)? No, but let's face it we can't reach that atm. That being said, this sort of situation is the #1 reason while I always buy from A* unless the price differential is insane, and always on credit-card. I have no qualms about calling up my lawyer either if they try to dick me around with >28 days (which is abysmal response time anyway) either.

All in all, I still wouldn't buy Gigabyte over EVGA for Nvidia, and their cards are too weak for AMD. Motherboard-wise though, it does give me pause, but I just make the choice for the retailer instead since pretty much all mobo companies are 'eh' warranty-wise.

If there is anything to be learnt here by anyone. *TAKE PICTURES!* that was the absolutely killer bit of evidence here to prove that this piece was not missing before it left your hands.

I will certainly be doing this if I ever have to return items to places in the future.

If there is anything to be learnt here by anyone. *TAKE PICTURES!* that was the absolutely killer bit of evidence here to prove that this piece was not missing before it left your hands.

I will certainly be doing this if I ever have to return items to places in the future.

This... But fair play to gigabyte for putting it right.

This... But fair play to gigabyte for putting it right.

The thing is though that they didn't really put things right. The OP was still out of pocket as he had to pay extra to get a equivalent card when he should have had one under warranty.

^ this, Gigabyte just said its damaged and passed the buck back to OCUK... luckily chokka had pictures of it before it left his care

The thing is though that they didn't really put things right. The OP was still out of pocket as he had to pay extra to get a equivalent card when he should have had one under warranty.

To be fair from what i can see OCUK did their part in forwarding the RMA'd GPU. The rest should have been down to Gigabyte to sort not OCUK? And the OP certainly shouldn't have had to shell out for an equivalent card?

Actually OP was offered a 380x to replace the 7950, which was more than fair...but OP decided against it as warranty doesn't get extended, so he gone for partial refund instead and to buy a new card with warranty.

I thought it read as if they had caved once seeing the pictures... In that case, glad I went with a different card supplier last time!

To be fair from what i can see OCUK did their part in forwarding the RMA'd GPU. The rest should have been down to Gigabyte to sort not OCUK? And the OP certainly shouldn't have had to shell out for an equivalent card?

Somewhere between the OP and Gigabyte the card was damaged. Gigabyte say it happened before it got to them. OCUK have ended up footing the bill, so basically everyone has lost out except gigabyte, who did absolutely nothing to help.

Actually OP was offered a 380x to replace the 7950, which was more than fair...but OP decided against it as warranty doesn't get extended, so he gone for partial refund instead and to buy a new card with warranty.

That was from OCUK not Gigabyte. OCUK offered that because Gigabyte were dragging their heels and taking longer than the 28 days. The 380X was a HIS and the OP said that he had problems with that company in the past so no wonder he rejected a card that would basically of had no warranty. Gigabyte were completely useless and from what I have seen offered the OP nothing at all.

On the grounds the card was only released (390X) in week 26 2015 I find week 37 2013 a little unrealistic. Hopefully I'll never have to return it....

You have someone's old card that they replaced with a 390x.

They use the serial number from the old card and put it on the new one, so you get the same length of warranty from your original purchase only.

Gigabyte seem to be saying that they had no communication from OCUK, that they didn't receive the item from OCUK (where as OCUK told the customer it had been back to them twice) and that the item was damaged by OCUK (or from improper shipping by them). Would be interesting to see what OCUK think about that.

Clearly someone was at fault here in terms of both lack of communication and damaging the item, and it looks like Gigabyte and OCUK are pointing the finger at each other, which doesn't really help in terms of improving things for next time.

Do we avoid Gigabyte but buy from OCUK, or do we avoid OCUK but still buy Gigabyte?

Personally I find OCUK have very good customer service.

When things go wrong, you do have to show a bit of patience, communication can be screwed up errors can be made. When they do I expect to see some token gesture from the company, which suggests they value on- going custom. OCUK did that here and have done it with me in the past.

Gigabyte should have made some solid good will gesture here for a very poor customer experience, instead all they offered was excuses.

Screw ups can take time to sort. Gigabyte should be making some gesture in Chokka's direction.

If they do step up to the plate I would consider using them if they don't I will avoid as its not the level of customer service I expect.

Cards are expensive, we are all returning customers, who over the years spend considerable amounts of cash. Market place is crowded, excuses just don't cut it, good customer service makes all the difference.

I always buy through OCUK because I have always had very positive experiences with their customer services when things on the odd occasion go wrong.

I am glad the Gigabyte warranty thing has been sorted out, especially as I bought my first ever Gigabyte mobo and GPU last year.

I think OCUK made a decent offer on the proposed replacement card albeit no warranty, but that is to be expected if the 3 year original warranty was up any way.

If you read Gigabyte's forum posts, they mostly seem a bit arrogant and arsey. By having the "go by the manufacture date for warranty" policy in the first place, screams out to me that Gigabyte aren't the company i would want to spend money with. Gigabyte, and other card manufacturers, make a mint on selling their products and don't mind taking that profit off customers. The least they can do is to rectify a problem when the customer is inconvenienced.

Matt

Back
Top Bottom