Gobsmacked about the Philips Fidelio X1

Yeah I'd like a smaller one but this one has hdmi inputs and output which I'm now far too reliant on. Personally though I think a big amp looks cooler.

Ah, well if you need an actual AV receiver, then that's different to just using a AV receiver for headphone use. I have seen some people do that. :p Not sure I agree bigger amps look cooler, but to each his own. :)

Also, how do you make your picture taker work so well?

He's a photographer. ;) He's got some good work on his site, which is linked to his sig.

Hah thanks!

If I ever win the lotto then the living room have amp boxes as big as small cars but the little NAD will still be covering my computer and streaming from phone audio needs :D

People on other forums buying earpad covers to protect the stock velour pads. I don't see the point? I cannot recall the last time someone bought replacement pads for a pair of Sennheiser because they wore out and they're also velour.

By the time it's close to replacing them people will be looking to upgrade headphones anyway.

They were worn - flat and some stitching had a tear in a couple of places exposin the internal padding.

The whole thing just clips on and clips off so it's easy to change.

The cable had also broke so I replaced both at the same time. It basically went from unuseable to brand new in an instant.

Last edited:
Honestly, there's a point of diminishing returns. I kept trying to upgrade from Goldring NS1000s based on whatever was the current forum FOTM. Always ended up disappointed.

At the moment I usually use Goldring DR150 or NS1000s for everyday, HD600 for best. I also have a set of MAudio Q40s for a passive closed headphone that doesn't leak but generally prefer the NS1000s. Also have some Sennheiser IE6s. DT770 pros and A900s have been and gone, along with numerous other highly rated headphones that just weren't much better than what I already had.

Of course if you're spending a lot it's always worth trying before you buy. There's always the odd set that comes up at a price that's worth trying on spec because you won't lose much if you sell then on.

However, I will say that HD598 (which I tried in a store ) to HD600 is quite an upgrade

Damn you uriel :D my latest ns1000 headband cracking again I think this time though when I get the replacements i'll sell them, great sound but the bloody headbands keep cracking why are they still using the same brittle plastics is beyond me.

It concerns me that a lot of people raving about these cans seem to be using bad sources ? ( not that I am saying they don't know what they are talking about) 99% of full sized amps have dreadful headphone outs so just going to a can easier to drive will be a dramatic improvement to their ears, and have come from low end / mid sennheisers which imo are overrated my gf has a pair of hd 598 and they are not a patch on my dr 150 or ns1000 so I am concerned I could buy the x1 and think meh they are barely better sounding than cheapo goldrings ?

So you don't rate the m-audio studiophile q40 then ?

Last edited:
I don't know why I read these threads! I've already been through and cured my audiophilia addiction so definitely don't need any more headphones. I do miss the joy of the un-boxing ritual though.

If they ever drop back to £150 level I might be tempted.

Back
Top Bottom