Gobsmacked about the Philips Fidelio X1

I think Raymond Lin should get them at the current price anyway because once he's heard them he'll sell all those headphones he has but never uses and recoup the cost back with change left over :p

I got mine today too. All the way from Italy in two days, that's impressive! Just waiting on my stand from Germany now then I'll take a picture :D

First impressions:
Really great build quality, not a noticable fault on them. All edges are either straight or smooth, the cups are an excellently smooth ceramic esque plastic.

As for comfort, the pad fits around the ear well, the squidgy bad rests the weight across the head very well.

Sound is fantastic. I can't fault it. I've not tried enough headphones to know the intricacies but I know I can hear every detail. When I upgraded from simple aux pc speakers to an hdmi av reciever hooked up to some decent tannoy floorstanders I was flabbergasted at how much more music there was in the music I listed to. I hear all of that detail with these headphones. Quite how they're managing that I don't know!

Secondary impressions:
As these are my first open backed headphones I must say they're a lot quieter when off the head than I thought they would be. Certainly nothing anyone who's going to use them at home should be worried about, other than I don't think you'd want a TV on in the background.

What's this about burn-in? Can't I just use them straight away to their full potential?

What's this about burn-in? Can't I just use them straight away to their full potential?

You get it with all decent headphones. Whether it's an actual thing or not has long been debated and continues to be but only you can decide what to make of it so listen to them carefully now and in 2 weeks time see what differences you can hear compared to now.

You will likely hear that treble has gone more natural vs the ever so slight harshness from when new and the bass will even out. Soundstage/details etc will remain the same.

I've noticed the above after 2 weeks, the Sennheiser HD555/595 took a fair bit longer and I only realised burn in was an actual thing when I bought a 2nd pair of HD555 a couple of years later and noticed how harsh they sounded out of the box and lacked bass detail.

Well they're a mechanical item so there will be a wear in I suppose. I was mainly wondering if I'm supposed to be playing white noise for 2 weeks or something :p

I'll be very surprised if I notice the change over two weeks. Give me a brand new pair in two weeks to compare to my two week old ones and I would probably notice it though. I very rarely notice gradual changes in anything :p

Well they're a mechanical item so there will be a wear in I suppose. I was mainly wondering if I'm supposed to be playing white noise for 2 weeks or something :p

I'll be very surprised if I notice the change over two weeks. Give me a brand new pair in two weeks to compare to my two week old ones and I would probably notice it though. I very rarely notice gradual changes in anything :p

More like a pair of new leather shows ;) After a couple of weeks wear they'll loosen up and become more comfy. Have to say though, I don't tend to notice that much difference after burn in, just use them normally and they'll burn in naturally.

oBrCBaM.jpg

So I got my stand today too. My picture is pretty crap as far as lighting goes but I think it does the job.

Handling 'Psycho Killer' VERY well!

Got this pic too:
IJvDrTP.jpg

Last edited:
I totally do not miss the big amps lol, just looking at your pic makes my workspace weep as I know how much space the old amp took up on my setup!

As in it reminds me of how much space box amps take up having recently replaced my old NAD amp with this :D

av_fideolio_ultrahighres_not.jpg

Big. mrk has a small NAD 3020D IIRC. It's tiny compared a standard stereo integrated amp, let alone a huge monolithic slab of AV. :p

Edit: Beaten to it. :(

Yeah I'd like a smaller one but this one has hdmi inputs and output which I'm now far too reliant on. Personally though I think a big amp looks cooler.

Also, how do you make your picture taker work so well?

With the sound that comes out of it listeners look in amazement as the amp is smaller than the headphones yet outputs richer, louder sound than my old C325 Bee :p

Which format looks cooler though is up to the persons looking at it.

Back
Top Bottom