Gobsmacked about the Philips Fidelio X1

Soldato
they're HERE. they got here daaays early.

In the end cost was £115

I have them on my head now playing undisclosed desires by Muse.

At first I thought i had 598's on my head.

BASS, thank goodness its quality in a very nice quantity.

Had to give them moar powah via amp than 598's (remember lower impedance will draw more current which is what amps are there for) higher sensitivity is what gives you more volume

yes so feeding them more power, very very nice!

clamp force more than 598's

heavier but not much. very comfortable

build is amazing they are amazing

resolution just as good as 598's

warm sound

a more immediate soundstage, sounds ever so slightly closer

mids sound great, I was worried about this 'recessed' talk

gonna leave em running while I eat dinner

Will get pics later

Last edited:
Soldato

In the end cost was £115

Had to give them moar powah via amp than 598's (remember lower impedance will draw more current which is what amps are there for) lower sensitivity is what gives you more volume

warm sound

Will get pics later
I'm so jealous! How long did they take to get from the US? (You're were the person who bought them from the US right?)

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Give them about 2 weeks, keep in mind what you're hearing now and then compare to what you hear 2 weeks later after daily use. You'll be impressed even further.

Also, if you change the cable the stereo imaging should open up a bit giving nicer soundstage still.

Soldato
i'll scratch around for my reasonable 3.5mm-3.5mm cable I bought and test it's resistance with my multimeter and see if any difference.

pics gonna be delayed, room is a sty for one

two need to go bed now

but first, some Norah...

ok just did X1's then 598's

the 598's do sound veiled a bit in comparison, less 'direct'

otherwise surprisingly similar warmth /signatures

the quality bass means the X1 pulls ahead though.

they look nice together actually, might keep em both

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
I returned the 598s, it's gonna be tough "upgrading" the X1 in years to come that's for sure, anything plastic is just going to be feeling like a massive downgrade in material quality.

Soldato
Can't find the cable atm:(

Resistance wise, the first 'section' of the plug on the stock fidelio lead yields 1.4-1.5 ohms

The second and third sections (going toward the tip of the plug) are 1.9-2.2 ohms.

Ah yes these are at least over 15% (the point any one human can subjectively notice a difference) more resolving than the 598s

yeh these are game changers. Other brands keep your plastic to yourselves, or give us our moneys worth and use high-grade plastics (some feel like metal in the hand)

these are definately audiophile grade headphones, more so than most as they reproduce bass faithfully

wow listening to tracks I am having this emotional response is only way I can describe it, they seem to link to your brain better than anything i've heard before. It's quite...moving...

Last edited:
Soldato
i'll wait till they're broken in before trying the fisual cable then

It was six days from US using the cheapest shipping option

Last edited:

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Doesn't have to be Fisual of course, there are loads to choose from all well under £10 on Amazon, take your pick and return if unsuitable :p

Good to have choice though.

Edit*
I've also ordered the V-Moda cable from the US, it came to £10 inc USPS shipping which is very fair. I ended up needing a shorter cable for when used at the desk since 3 metres does tend to scrape along the floor and get rolled over by the chair wheels often. Will be nice to see what all the fuss is about them too.

I think I made a mistake applying autosol to remove the gold colouring on the ends of my Fisual cable. I realised that the gold coat has a purpose, to stop oxidation of the jacks over time which can lead to interference and scratches requiring re-polishing of the ends. Poo.

Last edited:
Soldato
the fisual looks nice and it is meant to be highly flexible

as for the autosol comment, you muppet!

live and learn

598's look like fisher price compared to the X1's. Well guess who is pride of place on the stand...not the senns put it that way

Soldato
Doesn't have to be Fisual of course, there are loads to choose from all well under £10 on Amazon, take your pick and return if unsuitable :p

Good to have choice though.

Edit*
I've also ordered the V-Moda cable from the US, it came to £10 inc USPS shipping which is very fair. I ended up needing a shorter cable for when used at the desk since 3 metres does tend to scrape along the floor and get rolled over by the chair wheels often. Will be nice to see what all the fuss is about them too.

I think I made a mistake applying autosol to remove the gold colouring on the ends of my Fisual cable. I realised that the gold coat has a purpose, to stop oxidation of the jacks over time which can lead to interference and scratches requiring re-polishing of the ends. Poo.
Do all of the v-moda cables which are just for audio have that weird kink by the actual jack? Not sure whether I like that. How are you finding the cable? Or has it not arrived yet?

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Not arrived yet. They appear to have that angled exit yes, this would be fine on a headphone though as you can aim it whatever direction.

Caporegime

In the end cost was £115

Had to give them moar powah via amp than 598's (remember lower impedance will draw more current which is what amps are there for) higher sensitivity is what gives you more volume

warm sound

Will get pics later

How did you get them so cheap? Even in the States site is like $220, after shipping and tax it works out about the same here?

Soldato
They were on sale

Chair wheels! Haha glad its not only me. I was automatically gonna order three metres but never use that so shorter will do me. Cheaper too.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just received mine :D

I know what people mean about the bass being a bit too in your face at the start. Currently using the stock lead, but a Fisual Mini is arriving today. Will try and break them in over the next couple of days, which I'm sure will tighten up the bass :) The whole package seems fantastic, and the constuction incredible for the price. Very happy indeed so far!

mrk

mrk

Man of Honour
Let's do a tally of how many here have one :p

Cool photo :)

My floorstanders deliver richer chest vibrating bass but then again you'd never expect headphones to compare although the bass is pretty incredible from the X1.

Back
Top Bottom