Going to re do my gcse's

Associate
As the title says I'm looking into returning to college to re do my english and maths gcse's then go on to do maths, english, science, history for my A levels, and maybe just maybe get into a university at some point.

I'm tired of being turned down by employers due to my awful grades.

I got a D in english and a E in maths and a D in science if you want to know how bad it is, but I will say that I honestly didn't revise one bit for any of my gcse's, stupid I know but back then I didn't care, but as my life goes I always learn the hard way :)

I'm still young barely 20 so it's not like I don't have time to go back.

Anyone else in or has been in my position? :p

Also I seem to have lost all of my revision books and have no idea which ones I should buy or which are the best ones. I haven't enrolled yet or anything I'm just trying to get a head start. :D

Also someone over on thestudentroom.co.uk forums just recommended me to take an access to higher education course which should be less time consuming?

Last edited:
Soldato
You don't necessarily need to return to college. At least not for the GCSEs. They are easy enough that you should be able to teach yourself the course using revision guides and what not. The CGP revision guides are supposed to be pretty decent :)

As for an access to higher education course, that might help but surely employers will still be put off by your poor grades in Maths, Science and English?

EDIT: Moses has cleared up the doubt about the Access courses :p

A2Z

A2Z

Soldato
How do you know you are getting turned down due to your grades?

On my CV I dont even state what grades I got for gsce's, just that i have 10 grade a-c, and same for A levels, just that I have A/AS levels in xyz. Even for my degree I only put I have the degree...no mention of my result (2:2) for anything.

Every single interview I have gone to, not one has asked for the actual grades of anything...more importantly looked at experience.

Associate
OP
Aren't the access to higher education courses quite intensive though? Maybe you should consider whether you will be able to cope.

It's only 1 year I'm sure I'll live but they also do less intensive courses from what I've just read which last up to 2-3 years.

*Copied from Access website

Most Access to HE Diplomas can be completed in a year or less. For one-year courses, you will typically study for up to 16 hours a week in college (though there is some variation between different colleges), as well as doing a certain amount of private study outside classes. However, many people with family or work commitments prefer to study over two or more years, and most courses allow you to do this.

Also do university's tend to frown upon people who have done access courses or would that only be the top university's?

Last edited:
Associate
Are the qualifications you get from the HE courses "proper" GCSEs, or are they some sort of adult learner equivalent?

Don't know if this would have any effect?

I'd just want to make sure it was a "proper" GCSE which I could put down on my CV as such.

Good luck though - right thing to do imho!

Permabanned
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but at least 30% of people have degrees. 1 out of 10 people probably have a PHD. So its not even worthwhile. Having a degree is just like having a parking ticket...everyone had one.

Even if you are getting awards at school and uni for high marks dont expect to get a job out off it or to make any adavantage in your job hunting progress.

I recommend chose a trade. Sparky, joiner, plumber?

Last edited:
Soldato
Got to be honest, if you got an E in maths GCSE, I dont think doing it at A-level is a good idea

I wouldnt say that, if he didn't try before at least give him the chance to show what will happen when he does (GCSE) then if he trys and still gets an E, then maths probably isn't your strong point.

KaHn

Soldato
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but at least 30% of people have degrees. 1 out of 10 people probably have a PHD. So its not even worthwhile. Having a degree is just like having a parking ticket...everyone had one.

Even if you are getting awards at school and uni for high marks dont expect to get a job out off it or to make any adavantage in your job hunting progress.

You're a career adviser now?! :eek: lol 1 in 10 people with a PHD? Was your degree in statistics?

Permabanned
OP - Your level of English is already better than many people on here!

Yeah definitely!

Thanks for the reply's matey's

Wait, what?

pftch-1.png

Associate
OP

Lol this guy.

Permabanned

You've dropped your helmet.

Back
Top Bottom