Golden Eagles could be returning to Snowdonia.

Caporegime
I watched the Countryfile bit about this, this morning. I think there will be too much of a kickback from farmers for them to pull it off, there are a few who will happily listen to the evidence from Scotland and Ireland where they've been reintroduced but most of them seem to think they'll regularly swoop off with a lamb.

Caporegime
Even better now the family home is in Wales :D.

And yes, considering how much **** we deal with each daily news cycle, stories like that make you think there is a tiny little bit of good and hope in the world.

Permabanned
If I had the choice to be a Welsh sheep farmer or a golden eagle released above the Welsh valleys I know which option I would choose, and I am "somewhat indifferent" to the Welsh :) Whilst the golden eagle is indeed a magnificent bird, it is one of prey and sheep farmers are already struggling, what with bureaucracy, rustlers, and general farm running costs, without having to bear the loss of new born to the talons of eagles. I think the birds released may be "disappeared".

Caporegime
RIP to the local cats :eek:

Can't imagine there's many of those around in the location they're looking at, their main prey is rabbit and hare as well as the occasional fox so it may actually benefit farmers.

If the population does grow and they start spreading further afield then I guess it could become an issue, the evidence in Scotland is positive whereas in Ireland they're struggling to survive. It all comes down to how much prey is available and how quickly they would deplete it.

If it were white-tailed eagles then I think the concern from farmers would be far more reasonable.

Soldato
OP
Even better now the family home is in Wales :D.

And yes, considering how much **** we deal with each daily news cycle, stories like that make you think there is a tiny little bit of good and hope in the world.

Good stuff and yes indeed. Whereabouts are they? Up this way or down south?

Caporegime
These projects hardly ever actually get the go ahead - esp wrt large predators of any kind. Although it is the governments "stated aim" to reintroduce extinct or endangered species, the level of paperwork required far, far exceeds what many organisations are capable of funding or producing.

Thus there really is virtually no chance whatsoever for successful reintroduction to take place.

E.g. the attempted Lynx reintroduction by the Lynx Trust, last year. It was completely shot down in flames by Gove and Natural England.

Natural England demanded that assessments, reports and studies be commissioned detailing exactly how the lynx would interact with all other species; exactly where they would roam; have a fully professional staff on hand to monitor them at all times; have unanimous support from locals, the Forestry Commission, veterinarians and other bodies; have multi-year funding in place ... the list goes on.

In short, reintroduction aren't going to happen. Bodies like Natural England make it virtually impossible due to the incredible (and unrealistic) amount of work and supporting evidence needed.

So ... we wiped out these species with NO paperwork; NO consideration; NO forethought.

We won't reintroduce because the paperwork, unanimous agreement, funding (etc) makes it a non-starter for 99.999999999% of all organisations to deliver.

The only way would be if someone like Musk/Bill Gates/a.n.other (etc) suddenly took an interest. That's the reality. Someone like that can make these projects happen. For anyone else the paperwork and sheer multitude of regulations will kill any proposal.

For one they need to be churning out scientific papers to journals on a regular basis before NE will endorse any proposal anyhow.

Plus Michael Gove is ultimately in charge, and he won't approve re-introduction of anything that can't be hunted on horseback.

It won't surprise anyone to learn that the EU is having multiple successful reintroduction of many species. The UK is just far to NIMBY-ish and risk averse.

Also re the NE smack down of Lynx reintroduction - they specifically mentioned the lack of "cost benefit analysis". So the government's stated aim is BS anyhow - they want to know how much money they can make from any reintroduction.

Sorry to put a dampener on this, but if Natural Resources Wales is anything like Natural England - they will bury this proposal. It makes a nice headline but ultimately will fall foul of the bureaucracy.

Caporegime
The farming lobby is way too strong in the UK so they’ll have a tough fight to reintroduce any wild animal that has a remote chance of harming the industry.

If they do manage to get them released back into the wild I'm sure there will be plenty of farmers happy to lay out poisoned meat to get rid of them unfortunately.

That said I hope they do make a comeback.

Heavy industry and wildlife rarely mix unfortunately.

Soldato
well they say they're going to reintroduce a prey species too, so that should mitigate lamb fears at least. there's only ten birds too ffs, how many lambs do they think are going to be slaughtered? probably lose more lambs to natural deaths and disease than they will to eagles FFS.

Soldato
Golden-Eagle-in-flight-5.jpg

IlJm7kY.jpg

Magnificent animals. I hope they thrive and prosper there. I daresay the very occasional lamb can be lost to it. I feel more sorry for the lamb than the farmer, tbh.

Associate
The farming lobby is way too strong in the UK so they’ll have a tough fight to reintroduce any wild animal that has a remote chance of harming the industry.

If they do manage to get them released back into the wild I'm sure there will be plenty of farmers happy to lay out poisoned meat to get rid of them unfortunately.

That said I hope they do make a comeback.

Heavy industry and wildlife rarely mix unfortunately.

I was wondering how long it would take to start farmer bashing. You really need to get that shoulder checked out before that arm falls off.

Back
Top Bottom