Golf Thread

Soldato
Hello,

So, I may have just been to a local direct golf shop AND MAY have just come back with £370 less in my back pocket :eek:

I started playing golf 3 months ago, bought a £40 set from somebody i know and joined a local club, play about 2-3 times a week. I’ve been playing with Ben Sayers m2i's, good clubs but i just couldn't get the 'feel' and i felt they were not the right size.

Went down to direct golf, spoke with the chap and he said have a go with the Adams Golf - Idea A3 Irons, I did, I liked them, then he took them away and bent the club face about 1.5 degree, gave me it back and WOW what a different, the club seems to 'fit' my stance, I tried various clubs, Wilson staff, mizuno etc but these were outstanding.

They are 3-5 hybrid graphic shafts with 6-pw steel. They have an indoor virtual range, you hit a ball against a massive projected range and it calculates (about 99% correct) the range. He was gobsmacked to see i was hitting the 5 iron just over 180yards-straight after only been playing for 3 months.

£364 for the clubs and fitting, head covers for the hybrids and an adams golf cap :p

Will be going down to the range tonight, anybody had any experience with these clubs, or been amazed at how much better it feels to swing with a club that is 'right' for you?

edit: these are the clubs;
http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/a3.php
The hybrids themselfs are £270 for the three :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Lets have an ocuk golf game :p?

Where do you play? I am a member at a club in norfolk (where i currently stay, although come to yorkshire to visit parents/friends) and on saturday i played at willow valley, on the pine course.

Soldato
OP
I went to a driving range tonight...WOW.

I have never hit a ball so well before, pitching wedge shots landing at about the 90ft mark. This seem ok? Oh and the more important thing, the ball seems to go straight, everytime :D

Then i used my hybrids, when i hit the ball it made a sound that can only be described as a sonic boom.

Pretty sure i made the kid in the bay next to me cry.

Soldato
OP
Sorry yes i ment ft, and wow those are some good distance's. Do you know what your swing speed is? I got measured at around 60-65mph :o

Then again, only been playing 3 months so don't laugh :D

Soldato
OP
"Drive for show, putt for dow" method. Practising around the green is a must.

Thats a brilliant saying :D

I went to the range today, about 80% of the balls i hit were with a PW aiming for various fake greens on the range etc

Do quite well, suck on the course though :D

Soldato
OP
I will ask a mod to rename the thread title.

Does anybody else get a sore back if they play too much golf? Happens to me a lot and i have to take a week or two off playing, sucks!

However i am playing tomorrow night on a course for the first time with my new clubs, i will report back :D

Soldato
OP
So i've just come back from the range with a MAHOOOSIVE smile on my face :D

Its strange, before i got my new clubs i expected to fluff a shot, now i can't belive how well i hit the shots :D

Hit the 5 iron about 180+ yards on one shot (average about 150-160 with it)

My and my friend were having a little competition which was good 'closest to that flag, closest to the 100yard marker' etc, i really think that helps more than just smacking the ball.

One problem i have noticed, when using my 3/4 iron to try and get abit of distance i hook the back to the left quite badly, why is this?

Soldato
OP
Yes mate the 3/4/5 are all hybrids, which really confused me as i don't hook the 5iron/hybrid.

I also put the ball in the same position (at least i think i do, near the inside of my left foot for the hybrids)

I think i will have some more lessons anyway, mainly because i found it really helped me to begin with

Soldato
OP
I'll give that ago, i'm doing 9holes on thursday night (i haven't been on a course with the new clubs yet) so i will try not to hook!

Gah i have really got the bug now, its pretty good having a course within walking distance as well :D

Soldato
OP
Does the ball you use REALLY make such a big difference? What would a £30 set of callaway/nike balls have over a £10 set of pinicle/wilson?

Soldato
OP
Grants on the hole in one :D

I'm playing in an hour and half, the first is about 130yard par 3. I've NEVER got on the green, it has two bloody bunkers right infront- guess where i end up :p (and yes i have gone up a club or two but i somehow always end up in it)

Soldato
OP
So, did 9 holes yesterday played terrible (well i thought i did) but i got a score of 51....one of the best scores i have got for 9 holes, weird :D (yes i know its a naff socre for you guys) i usually get less on the back 9 so would have ended up with around 98ish...

I haven't registed for a handicap yet but i GUESS i would be about 27-28, i lost most of my shots when about 10ft away from the green, im TERRIBLE for chipping on, any advice? Putting is usually 2putts.

I was getting around the green in about 2-3 iron shots(inc tee'ing off) but around the green was terrible, i don't really know how to hit chip shots :(

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Stand with the ball in the middle of my feet or to the left/right?

Also somebody mentioned using the 8iron and doing the putting action with that, but would this work when ~10foot away? Its a horrible game, too hard :p Playing again today when i finish work.

Soldato
OP
Thanks guys, i will look at that link.

It was a brilliant idea making this thread now :D

This is the scorecard for the first 9
Scorecard - Inbound

HOLE YARDS PAR YARDS PAR YARDS PAR

OUT....2974....36.....2840......35...2604...36

Obviously thats Pro - Mens - Ladies tee's

So over the par 35 i got 51...hmm :\

edit:gah stupid thing, just spent ages formatting that lol

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bloody hell, i'd be using a 6/5 iron for 160yards :p....but then again my swing speed is that of a girl :eek:

I'm going to do the 9 holes i did yesterday again shortly, i will try the tips i have been given for around the green and hope i get less than 51!

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Well yesterday i went round the 9 and got 53 (so 2 shots worse than before) HOWEVER i did do some cracking shots, its just really hard to remember what to do. If i remember to do onething i forget another...grr :p

Back
Top Bottom