Golf Thread

Soldato
Hello,

So, I may have just been to a local direct golf shop AND MAY have just come back with £370 less in my back pocket :eek:

I started playing golf 3 months ago, bought a £40 set from somebody i know and joined a local club, play about 2-3 times a week. I’ve been playing with Ben Sayers m2i's, good clubs but i just couldn't get the 'feel' and i felt they were not the right size.

Went down to direct golf, spoke with the chap and he said have a go with the Adams Golf - Idea A3 Irons, I did, I liked them, then he took them away and bent the club face about 1.5 degree, gave me it back and WOW what a different, the club seems to 'fit' my stance, I tried various clubs, Wilson staff, mizuno etc but these were outstanding.

They are 3-5 hybrid graphic shafts with 6-pw steel. They have an indoor virtual range, you hit a ball against a massive projected range and it calculates (about 99% correct) the range. He was gobsmacked to see i was hitting the 5 iron just over 180yards-straight after only been playing for 3 months.

£364 for the clubs and fitting, head covers for the hybrids and an adams golf cap :p

Will be going down to the range tonight, anybody had any experience with these clubs, or been amazed at how much better it feels to swing with a club that is 'right' for you?

edit: these are the clubs;
http://www.adamsgolf.com/products/irons/a3.php
The hybrids themselfs are £270 for the three :eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Ooooh, you're already on the slippery slope! You'll soon get to the point where you are buying clubs and hiding them in the garage so the girlfriend/wifey doesn't know that you've been out spending! :)

I've not had a try of the A3's though i have had a try of some other Adams clubs, Adams is more of a US based golfing name (I seem to recall Aaron Baddelly and Tom Watson play them?) so you don't really find that many pro-shops stocking the clubs as people don't associate them with the big name stars that are seen on the European Tour on Sky each weekend. It's a shame really as they do produce some nice gear, much the same as Wishon, Miura, Vega, Honma don't really get much shelf space in the UK either and they have some really nice gear (very big in Asia/Japan).

I found fitting to be very beneficial, though i did spend a long time at the range with a trackman monitor and a mate who is a PGA teaching pro who gives me lessons and ended up with slightly shorter shafts and 2 degree flatter heads. The price seems about right, i paid £400 for 4-PW and a No 4 Hybrid for Taylormade r7's last year with fitting.

I see you are in Yorkshire, if you fancy a game some time drop me a mail, i've been playing a couple of years now, so not up to Tiger Woods standards yet, but i still reckon i could have him with my handicap advantage (and him playing off +12 also!!). :)

Soldato
OP
Lets have an ocuk golf game :p?

Where do you play? I am a member at a club in norfolk (where i currently stay, although come to yorkshire to visit parents/friends) and on saturday i played at willow valley, on the pine course.

Soldato
Not played Willow Valley yet, mainly play around east leeds, so Temple Newsam, Moor Allerton, Wike, Garforth or if i'm feeling a bit flush Moortown, Alwoodly, Ganton etc Only place near Huddersfield i have played is Outlane but wasn't very impressed with it.

Playing Slaley Hall on Friday which i have been told is a bit of a tough course, and then playing at Woburn Abbey in July which i am also looking forward to (played wenworth earlier in the year, it's a differen't game when you go back and look at the extra length that is added for the Pro's, some holes you had to carry the ball 220-230yds just to get over the hazards in front of the tees!!)

Soldato
OP
I went to a driving range tonight...WOW.

I have never hit a ball so well before, pitching wedge shots landing at about the 90ft mark. This seem ok? Oh and the more important thing, the ball seems to go straight, everytime :D

Then i used my hybrids, when i hit the ball it made a sound that can only be described as a sonic boom.

Pretty sure i made the kid in the bay next to me cry.

Soldato
pitching wedge shots landing at about the 90ft mark. This seem ok?

90 foot, I'm presuming you meant 90 yards :confused:

I play off 8 and my yardages are as follows to give you some sort of comparison:

lw 90-95
sw 100-105
gw 110-115
pw 120-125
9i 135-140
8i 150-155
7i 165-170
6i 180-185
5i 195-200
4i 205-215
21* hybrid 210-220
3 wood 235-250
driver 270-285

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Sorry yes i ment ft, and wow those are some good distance's. Do you know what your swing speed is? I got measured at around 60-65mph :o

Then again, only been playing 3 months so don't laugh :D

Associate
Yeah I was gonna say that is some high yardages for you shorter clubs, I play pretty well but dont hit my lower clubs that far especially LW and SW I am about 20yrd down on your distances I reckon on your midrange clubs
I have 08 Big Bertha's irons and driver/3 wood, tour X wedge and hybrid.

Caporegime
Nice. :)

I haven't got the confidence to invest in an expensive set atm. I don't think they'll help me improve as much as a few lessons will.

Have currently got a set of Ben Sayers m2i from eaby for £25. :p

Soldato
Lessons are definately worth it when starting out rather than expensive clubs. I had a series of 8 lessons and loads of practice at the range before ever playing, still have regular lessons even now after doing it for 2yrs. Would be nice to get down to single figures this year, the putting seems to finally be clicking for me now which was a big achilles heal for me over the past year.

Distance wise i'm shorter than coupe69 by about 10yds per club for the irons (though i am starting to get a bit more distance as i've been working with my mate on going from a fade to a draw - out/in swing to in/out swing), about the same for hybrid and 3 wood, as for my driver........... if you follow the ball path it's probably about 300yds, it's just a shame that if you actually measure it from the tee it's 200yds forward and 100yds to the right or left :D though that is slightly better than when i started and it was 100 yds from the tee and 200 yds right/left! :p

Soldato
Do you know what your swing speed is? I got measured at around 60-65mph :o

Then again, only been playing 3 months so don't laugh :D

My swing speed with my driver is just over 100mph, I think I averaged around 102mph, although I haven't had it checked for a year or so.

You'll improve quite quickly if you're playing regulary, that's the problem with this game, I find if I don't practice at least a couple of times a week then I soon lose my swing and tempo.

My clubs :D

DSCF0125-1.jpg

Associate
im glad there a golf thread can i join lol

28 hadicap

whats in the bag?
wilson staff di7 irons
wilson staff hybrid 4
wilson staff 3 wood
wilson staff spine driver
wilson staff deep red putter
basically everything is wilson staff!!
ball type scrixon 2core

i had a few lessons to get my swing sorted then went and had my clubs fitted to me had a v2 medium shaft put on my driver and wood and hybrid which improved my swing ect much better.

i pracatice mostly at minute with my driver as i long to enter long drive championships doing quite well at distance.short game is ok has its moments where i balls up thats mainly coz i rush my setup ect.

i am a member of fargrange golf club in briddlington par 70 lynx course very demanding course with the wind coming of the sea at times can turn a game around,but i like it.

i go driving range twice a week and play twice a month wish it could be more but faimly life comes first i supose.

speak soon

Associate
i pracatice mostly at minute with my driver as i long to enter long drive championships doing quite well at distance.

I've always wondered about long drive comps. What actually happens in them, do you get 5 balls and have to hit it as far as possible in any given direction? Or as far as possible within 50 yard tram lines etc etc?

Last question, how far are you driving it :D

Associate
OP dont get sucked in by some of the posts about fast swing speed, as it is not about that, I know an ex pro, who is also a club captain, he hardly swings at all, looks like zero effort to be fair, but it goes a hell of a long way and accurate aswell.
So bear that in mind, lessons are a good thing I had plenty when I started still go back for more now and then.

Associate
long drive championships 5 balls hit and hope to stay in the boundry lines,then if all the balls are in they get added up and put to the teams total. if you want to see what how it all works go to setanta golf channel on most days.britian has just joined in now and is getting more popular over here,i need to invest in a different driver for this tho 50" shaft would be better i got a bit of a way to go but i think around 240yrds if i need to get anywhere i need to be hitting around 300 mark

Back
Top Bottom