Golf Thread

Soldato
I agree with @booyaka's post below yours, sounds like you're switching around a lot and losing consistency. Typically the wrong shaft wouldn't push you too far off - have you got 1" long because you're very tall, or...?

Yeah, I agree mate. I need to stick with one and gain some balance.

I’m 6.2” so that’s why I was fitted for 1” longer.

Soldato
Hit a 96 today. Went out early. Played as a one ball for the first time. I quite liked it. I feel I can focus on my game a bit more when it's just me.
Driver was generally firing nicely. Putting has improved, but still some 3 putts crept in. Wedge play was good out of bunkers but I was lacking accuracy.
The weakest part of my game is hitting longer irons, and hitting approach shots with irons off the fairway. I don't hit enough greens in regulation despite being able to hit driver quite well.
I feel like breaking 90 will be easy for me if I actually just play more. It's only going to take one decent round with minimal mistakes to do it. I make the odd birdie and hit enough pars to know I can do this. It's just consistency.
Easy to say I know.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hit a 96 today. Went out early. Played as a one ball for the first time. I quite liked it. I feel I can focus on my game a bit more when it's just me.
Driver was generally firing nicely. Putting has improved, but still some 3 putts crept in. Wedge play was good out of bunkers but I was lacking accuracy.
The weakest part of my game is hitting longer irons, and hitting approach shots with irons off the fairway. I don't hit enough greens in regulation despite being able to hit driver quite well.
I feel like breaking 90 will be easy for me if I actually just play more. It's only going to take one decent round with minimal mistakes to do it. I make the odd birdy and hit enough pars to know I can do this. It's just consistency.
Easy to say I know.

That's what I've been focussing on - just cutting out the massive mistakes. Instead of trying a long iron into a green where you'd typically struggle, take 2 short clubs - go Wedge > Wedge, then you're on the green. It's the same number of shots as missing the green with a long iron, then having to chip on. Nothing lost in terms of shots!

I need to do this, hammered a 5 iron into a hedge and had to drop a shot at the weekend - should've used 2 shorter irons that I'm far more comfortable with :o

Also managed to make a quad bogey on a par 3, got stuck in the bunker - right under the top lip, so ended up rolling it back down - my next shot kept the ball in the bunker, but back under the lip :mad:

Last edited:
Soldato
Today I decided not to warm up with any putting on the practice green. I feel I putted better for it. The course I go to in particular, seems to have a practice putting green which holds no resemblance what so ever to how the greens out on the course play. It's very flat and therefore holds more water. Do you guys find the same at the courses you play?

Associate
Also managed to make a quad bogey on a par 3, got stuck in the bunker - right under the top lip, so ended up rolling it back down - my next shot kept the ball in the bunker, but back under the lip :mad:
Just in case you didn't know, you can take a drop within the bunker for a one stroke penalty (back on the line or lateral) or drop out of the bunker for a two stroke penalty (back on the line). You can also take stroke and distance.

Last edited:
Associate
@jaybee you go back to where you last played your shot and take it again for a one stroke penalty.

I highly recommend anyone downloads the R&A Rules of Golf app onto their smartphone, dead easy to use and lookup the relevant rule when you're in a pinch and no one in your group knows the correct ruling.

Soldato
well, had my "fitting" at AG today. The guy, really sounds guy, recommended to persevere with my current clubs as a lot is down to my current swing, which I conisidered might have been the case, but confirmed now.

Only thing he suggested to look at in the "near" future is my wedges, I bought them stock so might get fitted for them once I get ahold of what im doing atm. I use a 54 + 58 so only two clubs to get at, save a few £££ :)

Soldato
I've decided I need to learn about Golf rules. Went to go to youtube thinking there must be a whole series walking you through it all.... can't find anything decent. It's all just quick vids on specific things, rather than a walk through of everything in a logical order. Anyone know any good series I can just sit down and watch in a long sitting? I don't want to have to hop around loads of random vids until it starts making sense as that's confusing.

Associate
I've decided I need to learn about Golf rules. Went to go to youtube thinking there must be a whole series walking you through it all.... can't find anything decent. It's all just quick vids on specific things, rather than a walk through of everything in a logical order. Anyone know any good series I can just sit down and watch in a long sitting? I don't want to have to hop around loads of random vids until it starts making sense as that's confusing.
R&A website is probably your best bet? Their site has context led scenarios and I think they also have a rules app.

Usually most clubs receive a large stash of mini rulebooks which they give away, handy to get one of these if you can as it's much better having everything in one place rather than connecting dots from various sources

Soldato

As above the R&A Rules App is pretty good, includes all the rules verbatim, a way of getting to rules based on 'area' (e.g. you can select bunker and see all the relevant rules) and also a basic multiple-guess quiz section...

Soldato
I love morning golf :D Technically I was out second at 7:08 but the two-ball who had booked the first slot let me go first, there's something about being the first player out on the course tbh :p

Very scruffy though, was trying a few new things so kinda got that as an excuse but also just some poor strikes. And 4 lost balls!

Did manage to finish with 2 pars and a par on the 9th is a rare thing for me so happy with that :)

Doing it all this week too, out 2nd again tomorrow but same people first so fingers crossed, then first on Thursday before normal Friday golf at a new course called Tracy Park so that'll be interesting.

Last edited:
Soldato
Space just came up on a golf trip to Spain in September with one of the guys I play with.

5 days, Texas Scamble first day off the plane - 4 championship rounds.... 8 of us going. Looking forward to it as never really played abroad before.

Flights from local airport (10 minutes away) - excited now!

Any recommendations for a golf travel bag for the clubs???

Soldato
Space just came up on a golf trip to Spain in September with one of the guys I play with.

5 days, Texas Scamble first day off the plane - 4 championship rounds.... 8 of us going. Looking forward to it as never really played abroad before.

Flights from local airport (10 minutes away) - excited now!

Any recommendations for a golf travel bag for the clubs???

I just went with the Amazon Basics bag cause it was cheap :p I did add a "Golf Travel Bag Support Rod" thingy, basically an extendable rod that you put inside the golf bag then extend to give some structure to the bag if that makes sense...

Also after reading bits here and there I decided to remove the heads off my Driver and 3 Wood (the only clubs I can) and to try to prevent any issues there. Seemed to work, no damage to the clubs or anything so good times :)

Soldato
Just in case you didn't know, you can take a drop within the bunker for a one stroke penalty (back on the line or lateral) or drop out of the bunker for a two stroke penalty (back on the line). You can also take stroke and distance.
Ahhh fair point!

I think in this case it might not have helped me; I ended up back in the middle of the bunker and played a bad shot up to the lip again. But if I'd been able to drop it back in the bunker, then I might've played a better shot - who knows! Thanks anyway, think I'll download the R&A app, the website is excellent.

Associate
I need to do a better job of identifying the sand base in bunkers whether it’s hard, soft etc than just opening the face and cutting across it. Hard to practice though unless your course somehow offers both.

having said that I’ll do enjoy bunker shots and the creativity they allow.

Last edited:
Associate
Got out for twelve after work today. Absolutely spectacular, course in tip top condition. Greens, fairways, rough, tee boxes, aprons all freshly cut. A real joy to be out there :) Doubt it will get much better than it is right now aside from greens getting a little faster.

Soldato
Got out for twelve after work today. Absolutely spectacular, course in tip top condition. Greens, fairways, rough, tee boxes, aprons all freshly cut. A real joy to be out there :) Doubt it will get much better than it is right now aside from greens getting a little faster.

nice - managed 12 myself tonight - nice weather, but course still looking a little bit messy round the edges.. If only the council would spend a bit of money on it - it would be an absolute gem ....

Back
Top Bottom