Gonna buy a macbook me thinks!

Soldato
Gonna buy a wee macbook to replace my PC, now any recommendations on speccing my new macbook? What's the difference between the combo drive and the super drive? With a HE discount it comes in at £601. I'm a little confused about the warranty though, it states on the front page -
Apple is pleased to announce that as part of the negotiated extension to the HE Agreement
all current Apple desktop and laptop computers are now provided with a
3 year limited parts and labour warranty
at no additional cost.
Details of the 3-year cover are provided in the HE Agreement Terms and Conditions,
which may be accessed at the bottom of the stores.
which is fair enough, but it offers me the option to upgrade to "EMEA CC-HE contract uplift Maxbook/iBook" - is that worth opting for or should I just leave it?

Is leopard worth waiting for? How much would an upgrade cost if I just bit the bullet and bought it now?

ta

Associate
Combo drive can't write to DVDs.

Leopard will cost around £80 or so I would think, probably less if you're still eligible for HE discount then, imo not worth waiting for.

Associate
Don't worry about Leopard, Tiger is a fine operating system. While I'm sure many people will buy Leopard as soon as it's released, I would wait. Apple will most likely do a wonderful job of Leapard, but there is the risk that it's buggy. Let the early adopters iron out any potential problems, then buy it a few months later. I don't think Leopard is now due out until October anyway, and it sounds like you want that macbook now. Which is something I can relate to :)

Soldato
sticks-stones said:
I was wondering whether to buy a MacBook now too. Is it worth waiting to WWDC just in case?

Its been recently given a "speed upgrade" - but you might as well wait for a couple of weeks and perhaps you might sway your decision to a MacBook Pro or an iMac - which have been rumoured to have a change for this WWDC.

Soldato
Dr Jones said:
Its been recently given a "speed upgrade" - but you might as well wait for a couple of weeks and perhaps you might sway your decision to a MacBook Pro or an iMac - which have been rumoured to have a change for this WWDC.

Quite. As I've mentioned in another thread, I'm going to wait and see what happens to the MBP line in the next few weeks before making a decision either way. At the moment I don't feel there's enough separating the high-end MB from the low-end MBP to justify the price difference of ~£400.

I just wish Apple would get on with things and announce them. Now I've got the money for either it's burning a hole in my pocket :p

arty

Soldato
Shostakovich said:
So just to confirm, Leopard won't be coming out till Oct, so if you want a macbook (like me!) now, it is best to just go ahead with Tiger?

Yes, unless your willing to wait until Oct. Tiger is brilliant as it is, so waiting for Leopard is fine. Also when Leopard is released you don't have to pay silly prices like with Winblows and there's only 1 OS instead of however many Winblows has.

Suspended
Winblows, haha!

Ok, cool, and just one other thing: Should one get it from apple.com - or do they have resellers in the UK now? I know they do, but maybe that is just for businesses, etc, not individuals?

Soldato
Shostakovich said:
Winblows, haha!

Ok, cool, and just one other thing: Should one get it from apple.com - or do they have resellers in the UK now? I know they do, but maybe that is just for businesses, etc, not individuals?

There's about 6 Apple shops, awesome places :) My closest is Sheffield, not sure where the others are.

Suspended
Yes, sorry I wasn't being clear -- I meant "non-official" apple shops.

Ie, retailers that sell them that aren't actually apple. Do they exist?

By the way, I have been to the one in Regent Street - Amazing Shop!

Soldato
Shostakovich said:
Yes, sorry I wasn't being clear -- I meant "non-official" apple shops.

Ie, retailers that sell them that aren't actually apple. Do they exist?

By the way, I have been to the one in Regent Street - Amazing Shop!

There's a few but they don't have the latest models and are usually more expensive imo. We wouldn't be able to say on here because it would be classed as a competitor I think?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Shostakovich said:
Just seen as well that I could get the 3 Year Warranty for just £50 + Vat, normally £200. Do you think that is worth it?
If you intend on keeping the MacBook for longer than a year, yes.

You get 1 year standard, this boosts it to 3.. a good bargain if you're keeping the MacBook and you get piece of mind incase something breaks.

Suspended
Which now begs the question, if I am planning on having it for three years or so...should I upgrade to 2Gb of RAM?

And given that I have no intention to go to Vista yet, or at all if I can avoid it, and that I won't do anything else besides word process, web surf and watch films, I don't need it do I?

Last edited:
Associate
Don't confuse need with want :)

"Want" is a very poweful emotion, you may as well give in now, you know you will in the end!

In all seriousness, I don't know anyone that's bought a macbook and regretted it. Buy it and enjoy.

Soldato
Shostakovich said:
Which now begs the question, if I am planning on having it for three years or so...should I upgrade to 2Gb of RAM?

And given that I have no intention to go to Vista yet, or at all if I can avoid it, and that I won't do anything else besides word process, web surf and watch films, I don't need it do I?

Just wait and see if you need it. Also about the warranty, if you come to selling it, you can get more for it if it has remaining warranty.

Back
Top Bottom