Good Area in North London for £1300?

Soldato
I've lived in greenlanes for a few years
lived in tottenham, seven sisters and croydon.
crime, drugs and typical london rubbish will always be around.
lol if I could rattle off the top 5 ****holes in London then all those 4 would be in it! No wonder you don't think much of living in London. Ouch.

Why? They aren't forcing you to rent their property.
Don't be daft. If you can't afford a home in your area and/or want to save for a deposit then you have two choices; rent or live on the streets. Are you suggesting people saving for a deposit to buy, should live on the streets?

More importantly do you really think with all the issues with renting in this country (overpriced, moron landlords and agents, overpriced, section 21, can't decorate) - do you really think people have made that choice? Pull the other one. 99% of people rent in this country because they can't afford to buy a home. End of. I've never met a single person that chooses to rent. Never ever.

Soldato
Here in Harrow isn't bad and you can get a 2 bed for about 1200, i like it as it's only 20 min drive to the green belt with excellent euston train and transport links.

Permabanned

In 1988, the "reported" murder rate in Saudi Arabia was .011 per 100,000 population, sexual offences were .059 per 100,000 population, and thefts were .005 per 100,000.[25] In 2002, a total of 599 crimes were reported in Saudi Arabia, or .06 crimes for every 100,000 people. By 2006 those numbers had gone down[dubiousdiscuss] with murder at .010 per 100,000 population, sexual offences at .046 per 100,000, and thefts offences at .04[dubiousdiscuss] per 100,000.

In 2015, the UN office of drugs and crime reported the murder rate in Saudi Arabia to be 1.5 per 100,000, with 472 recorded offences.[2

Associate
In 1988, the "reported" murder rate in Saudi Arabia was .011 per 100,000 population, sexual offences were .059 per 100,000 population, and thefts were .005 per 100,000.[25] In 2002, a total of 599 crimes were reported in Saudi Arabia, or .06 crimes for every 100,000 people. By 2006 those numbers had gone down[dubiousdiscuss] with murder at .010 per 100,000 population, sexual offences at .046 per 100,000, and thefts offences at .04[dubiousdiscuss] per 100,000.

Chris, I think you should have gone to specsavers, I said London not Saudi Arabia :p:D

Associate
I used to work in London and some of stories from my colleagues who lived within the M25 scared the bejeezus out of me, and that was just the rent on a place big enough to house a family of 4.

Their favourite game was asking the newbies to guess how much my mortgage was on my 4 bedroom bungalow with a third of an acre in Suffolk. Then watching them glaze over disbelief compared to what they were paying for a room in a shared house .

Borehamwood is another good shout, as is Chelmsford. I used to commute in daily from Ipswich and although it had a shelf life I actually grew to love the hour and half quiet time to and from work.

Last edited:
Associate
Stick to making love to your hand too if you think £1300 a month is a lot of money.

Also why the hate on landlords? Someone has to provide homes to rent and it's supply and demand.

Are you a communist?

Because they're not 'providing homes'. They're getting in first to jack up the price because for some reason having somewhere to live is a pretty high priority for most people.

Soldato
I used to live in New Southgate in North London until I was about 23-24 (I'm 35 now) and it was ok, not the best part, but certainly not the worst.

It's like anywhere in London though you don't need to go far to get in a bad location.

I reiterate what people are saying about Enfield, it's got crap, was getting crap before I moved out. The Barnet side of Enfield is nice in places, actually some of it very nice, but you'll pay for it, but around the centre and south of there, all the banditos have swarmed north up the A10 from Tottenham/Edmonton.

Barnet is general is ok, it has pockets of really bad areas, but you'll learn those and where to avoid living there. Anywhere further south mmm, it becomes more money, and actually not better. Wood green although, one place I would say has improved a lot in 20 years, still isn't great, and further down into Harringay is a really dodgy place. Avoid Willesden/Harlsden like the plague, a lot of Wembley (not all) is a bit grim - however north/north west of those generally gets nicer.

Caporegime
Because they're not 'providing homes'. They're getting in first to jack up the price because for some reason having somewhere to live is a pretty high priority for most people.

nobody is forcing you to rent - homes are available to buy everywhere and the price of a home isn't determined by anything other than supply and demand.

if cost is high it's because demand is high for that area. landlords don't set the prices all houses are sold at.

Soldato
nobody is forcing you to rent - homes are available to buy everywhere and the price of a home isn't determined by anything other than supply and demand.
So much nonsense.

landlords don't set the prices all houses are sold at.
But they do. A capital-rich buyer, with tax breaks available for BTL, no chain, large deposit is always going to outbid FTBs for small flats. That's why the bottom rung of the property ladder is so high. You're not wrong about supply and demand (the usual ignorant argument against admitting a property bubble), but BTL has created a false demand. The unaffordability of property in this country to your average buyer is proof enough that it's a false market. The only people it's "affordable" to are super-high earners or investors.

Caporegime
So much nonsense.

But they do. A capital-rich buyer, with tax breaks available for BTL, no chain, large deposit is always going to outbid FTBs for small flats. That's why the bottom rung of the property ladder is so high. You're not wrong about supply and demand (the usual ignorant argument against admitting a property bubble), but BTL has created a false demand. The unaffordability of property in this country to your average buyer is proof enough that it's a false market. The only people it's "affordable" to are super-high earners or investors.

If it's an issue then you can always buy somewhere else where it's cheaper.

Nobody is forcing you to work or live in London.

Its a hole anyway.

Commissario
If it's an issue then you can always buy somewhere else where it's cheaper.

Nobody is forcing you to work or live in London.

Its a hole anyway.
Not entirely true, depends on your skill set and where the jobs are.

And in your opinion it’s a hole, I think it’s a great place personally.

Once again, you’re citing your opinion as fact...

Man of Honour
Here in Harrow isn't bad and you can get a 2 bed for about 1200, i like it as it's only 20 min drive to the green belt with excellent euston train and transport links.
Certainly not the worst place. But I wouldn't call it good either. It used to be lovely but has taken a dive recently. I lived in nearby Pinner for about 10 years and moved out in 2007 when I saw what was happening to Harrow next door. But I am a little out of date now so perhaps it has improved again.

However, transport links into London are good.

Back
Top Bottom