Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Soldato
On another note how to I enter the bios? I'm trying to set WOL as that would be fairly handy. I've tried the usual keys but nothing seems to work!

F10 to get into the BIOS, it's mentioned just after the POST screen... the one where it also says F12 for PXE :)

Associate
I'd say it was a MFT/GPT issue but normally (in Windows) this would limit you to 2TB per partition, rather than 1.2TB.
What does it look like in gparted (think ubuntu renames it Partition Editor in the menus)

Gparted sees each individual disk as well as the array, but the array is only 3.73tb for some reason. When doing this from the install iso it doesn't see the individual disks only the array and says the max partition is 1.2tb....

Associate
Regarding WOL, I have kept clear of Windows on mine, but I've tried it out on Ubuntu and both FreeNAS stable and the v8 beta.

Neither of the FreeNAS's worked with WOL, but Ubuntu did without having to do anything. I guess for Windows the advanced settings in Device Manager (magic packets etc) have to set and then it works (same as on most desktops).

FreeBSD seems to be the culprit and I did find mention of FreeBSD not supporting WOL on certain Intel NICs. Once my 4GB of RAM comes, I intend to install ESXi and I believe WOL works in that.

But am I the only one who finds it strange that for WOL to work, it has to be enabled in the driver settings as well as the BIOS? Ineffect the BIOS entry is almost useless.

On a different note: the Microserver with it 80+ PSU is fairly frugal when on, but has anyone else noticed that it draws about 14W when off? That's a pretty poor standby rate...

Soldato
Well mine seems to be running on Gb just fine now...changed ports on the switch and it works fine (even though the other ports are fine)!

On a side note I'm really, really impressed with my Boxee Box; and the notion that it's only going to get better quite frankly thrills me!

Associate
Hello. I was wondering if anyone could help me with two problems I am having with this unit.

First the BIOS.
Mine says 041 (09/30/2010)

So I've looked on the HP site to update it to:

041A
2010.09.30 (A)
15 Oct 2010

I've made the USB key, rebooted and it seems to load, then says about the rom file then the text moves too quickly for me to catch.
But it it loads loads of lines like ------ then says programming blocks.
Then goes to C:\ prompt. At no point does it says sucessful or anything obvious.

That does not appear to be updating? Has anyone else updated - if so what did it do? Any idea with my situation?

Second Question (important one I hope you guys can help with):

Array:

I have built a RAID1 array using the BIOS. Selected my 2*2TB drives in the first 2 slots. I selected full for the initialisation. Strangely this seemed to do it straight away like not even having to wait 1 second? I'm concerned that is wrong as i'd expect to have to wait quite a bit? MY array then said status was functional.

I've installed ubuntu just to test with. Seemed ok.

I've then thought I will test the RAID (no point having RAID and not knowing what to do with a failure). I've therefore shut the server down, removed the second disk and booted up. Array says critical but loads Ubuntu fine. Yep seems good so far - i'd expect this.

I've then shut it down, put my second disk back in and booted up. I wanted to check if it rebuilt/resync or if I had to manually do it.

Array still says critical. RAID says failed or disconnected disk as the problem. However the BIOS does detect the disk so the disk is in the sytem fine.

I was expecting putting the disk in again would start to sync and rebuild to it?

It appears my RAID is totally broken now - I can't work out how to add a disk back in to the array? I can't see that it is possible?

Anyone got any thoughts on this? (I've not lost any data - just testing with a default ubuntu build).

I understand RAID usually but this has me stuck. I was expecting to pull out one drive, for it to notice there was an issue, shutdown, put the disk back in, allow it to rebuild and then for me to do the same with the first disk so i've fully tested it.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks - AndyT

Associate
@andytrey10
Not sure why it's not updating your ROM. I have not tried the USB update but since it says programming blocks it looks like it is getting somewhere but maybe it's unable to actually write anything. Yet AFAIK, there's no option in the BIOS setup to block updates. Strange.

On to your second question: you do realize that the RAID is fakeRAID and that the drivers are Windows only (not sure if there Red Hat ones actually since Red Hat is officially supported by the Microserver, but there certainly is no Debian support).

For Linux you have to use Linux software RAID - performance should be about the same since the fakeRAID uses the CPU anyhow.

Associate
On to your second question: you do realize that the RAID is fakeRAID and that the drivers are Windows only (not sure if there Red Hat ones actually since Red Hat is officially supported by the Microserver, but there certainly is no Debian support).

For Linux you have to use Linux software RAID - performance should be about the same since the fakeRAID uses the CPU anyhow.

Thanks very much for pointing out it is fakeraid. I'd got carried away it was full hardware raid.

Here is my setup now. I've got the 160GB disk installed with Fedora on.
I've put the 2*2TB drives in slots 2 and 3. I've tried to create raid in bios there ready for Fedora to notice it but not clear on what to do now really.

I did try with Win2008 to see what happens with correct drivers etc and my array started to say initialising in the bios so that was working correctly then.

Confused how to do this properly in Fedora with fakeraid. I don't want to use full software raid if I can help it.

I can't seem to get my array to 'initialising' within the BIOS with Fedora.

EDIT - Or do you just put the BIOS back to AHCI, delete the raid array in BIOS and create the RAID in Fedora? Although ideally I don't want to do this if I don't have to.

Last edited:
Soldato
Just to clear up my confusion, what is all this about fakeraid? I'm running server 2008 enterprise. If one drive fails I was assuming I could not lose anything and that I can just bang another drive in and it will rebuild the array? Is this not the case?

Thanks,

G

Back
Top Bottom