Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Then thats what ill go for :)

do they offer the parity service like unraid? or when it says duplicate files is it an exact mirror?

So If I have 4x2TBs I would only get 4tbs of storage?

Yup ... mirrored

Your pooled drive would be 8TB .............how you use that pool is down to you

ie

The caveat is that you can choose which folders to duplicate/mirror, Hence I only choose the stuff most important to me for immediate recovery and externally back up other folders

Or have no duplication

The choice is yours :)

Thinking longer term... you can always add more drives to the pool using a DAS/external dual bay connected by eSATA. Or upgrade to 3TB drives as and when you can affoed them :)

Last edited:
Associate
Has anyone had issues with the American modded bios?

I have flashed it to enable full speed on the ODD sata port. But now I have srv2k8 r2 ent installed and I am unable to restart/shutdown. The system hangs.

I have read that others are experiencing the same problem but no solution yet. They also state that going back to the standard HP bios everything operates fine.
Annoying.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone else get poor performance from read/writing data on ESXi VM's?

I made a virtual FreeNAS for testing. iSCSI from a Windows 7 machine. Copying data was running at 7MB a second. After enabling write cache in the BIOS is jumped to 14MB, hardly great though.

Soldato
Yup ... mirrored

Your pooled drive would be 8TB .............how you use that pool is down to you

ie

The caveat is that you can choose which folders to duplicate/mirror, Hence I only choose the stuff most important to me for immediate recovery and externally back up other folders

Or have no duplication

The choice is yours :)

Thinking longer term... you can always add more drives to the pool using a DAS/external dual bay connected by eSATA. Or upgrade to 3TB drives as and when you can affoed them :)

Thanks for the help, Ordered WHS will be having a play this weekend :)

Soldato
Anyone else get poor performance from read/writing data on ESXi VM's?

I made a virtual FreeNAS for testing. iSCSI from a Windows 7 machine. Copying data was running at 7MB a second. After enabling write cache in the BIOS is jumped to 14MB, hardly great though.

iSCSI has been pretty poor (not as bad as you had, but less than 40MB/s iirc) in my experience, but samba speeds are ok (80-90MB/s) I'm running a four drive ZFS RAID-Z pool on an Ubuntu Server VM, with ESXi on the miroserver.

Soldato
Yes I have a fanless one, seems fine playing 1080p media in xbmc, did have a bit of very light stuttering under vlc player 2.0, not tested with 2.1 but stuck to xbmc as its just awesome.

Yeah I am going to be using XBMC as well which model did you use? was there enough clearance?
Its between 5450 and 6450 for me.

Soldato
Ok so Im trying to upgrade the RAM.

Sweet jesus the cable on the left is tight. Ive got it almost to the top then it seems to catch on something. Anyone else have this problem? I dont want to bend or break the actual board!

Soldato
Ok so Im trying to upgrade the RAM.

Sweet jesus the cable on the left is tight. Ive got it almost to the top then it seems to catch on something. Anyone else have this problem? I dont want to bend or break the actual board!

The black one with some sort of metal clip, connects the SATA hdds?

Don't pull it hard...

So yeah funny thing, my Microserver turned up and the SATA hdds didn't work. Just wasn't picking them up in the bios so I have sent it back. Waiting on a replacement.

Soldato
The black one with some sort of metal clip, connects the SATA hdds?

Don't pull it hard...

So yeah funny thing, my Microserver turned up and the SATA hdds didn't work. Just wasn't picking them up in the bios so I have sent it back. Waiting on a replacement.

Then there is no way I can get the board out.....bloody ridiculous!

Soldato
Like I said don't try too hard or you will be without your sever for over a week.

It must come out though. I just thought my little weak body wasn't strong enough. Turns out I am super strong.

Soldato
Hey,

I'm trying to install FreeNAS (full OS) to a HP 16GB USB drive (internal port), but I am getting this error message:

Mount CDROM
Create slice/partition table on device da0
Error: Failed to delete MBR and partition table on disk da0
Error: Failed to create slice/partition table!
Unmount CDROM.
There was a problem during initialization of the destination disk

[edit]Tried with embedded version also; similar error message:

Mount CDROM
Installing system image on device da0

gzip: stdout: Broken pipe
Error: Failed to dd image on '/dev/da0'!
Unmount CDROM
There was a problem while copying files.

I've tried doing a full format on the drive in Windows... no joy :(

It does manage to write a single file to the disk though (there is a config XML from the installer).

Help please!!

Cheers,

Su

Last edited:
Soldato
its does come out but can be quite tricky, i remember using some long nose pliers to GENTLY put a but more presure on the release clip whilst pulling up and to the right slightly

Ive tried as much as I can and I appear to have now busted the clip. Very un happy about this and will be sending it back. Cables that are tight? I can understand. This is bloody stupid.

Soldato
Ive tried as much as I can and I appear to have now busted the clip. Very un happy about this and will be sending it back. Cables that are tight? I can understand. This is bloody stupid.

I kinda don't feel so bad about sending my back after the same thing now.

Back
Top Bottom