Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Having a bit of a weird time with the on-board RAID controller.

One of my arrays is suggesting a drive is no longer connected, the drive is visible with it's same ID in the single disks viewing mode.

The drive was part of a RAID1 and it appears that there's no way of re-adding this drive to the RAID without deleting and re-creating the array?

Awfully weird.

Seeing if the AMD windows based tool is more useful.

Update:
The AMD RAIDXpert tool looks like it'll rebuild the array using any free drive... will start it going once I've confirmed everything's backed up.

Some closure:
The RAID rebuilt fine using the RAIDXpert tool, it's a shame there's no way to initiate the rebuild in the BIOS, but oh well.

Last edited:
Associate
Just a quick question I'm hoping one of you guys can answer for me.

I'm looking to get one of these Microservers (hell who wouldn't be at that price!), but just wanted to know would I be able to use 3Tb HDD's in it?

Soldato
Just a quick question I'm hoping one of you guys can answer for me.

I'm looking to get one of these Microservers (hell who wouldn't be at that price!), but just wanted to know would I be able to use 3Tb HDD's in it?

If you look through the thread you will see somebody is running 1 x 3TB in their microserver.

Associate
With the thread being so long I thought it would be quicker to just ask, guess I was right :)

Thanks for the info mate, just what I was hoping. Gonna load it out with 3TB's :D

Soldato
Applied for a return and replacement of mine.
However have been told that if they can release the cable they will just send it back to me, which is fine in theory, but the push plate on the cable has come away now, frankly not happy with it, Im sure its just my luck as these sort of things always happen to me :p

heres hoping they cant release it and that I get it replaced.

Associate
I've had my eye on one of these for some time now to replace my ageing Shuttle server. Despite changing most of the its fans I still find it too noisy for a home server, so after many faithful years it has to go.

So tomorrow a N40L with 8GB RAM arrives and I think it might be time to make the change from WHS v1 to WHS2011. I had been holding off due to the lack of Drive Extender but now seems the right time to do it.

I'm looking to use DriveBender as an alternative, has anyone had any experience with it good or bad? I'd be glad to hear.

Cheers

Jack

Last edited:
Associate
I've had my eye on one of these for some time now to replace my ageing Shuttle server. Despite changing most of the its fans I still find it too noisy for a home server, so after many faithful years it has to go.

So tomorrow a N40L with 8GB RAM arrives and I think it might be time to make the change from WHS v1 to WHS2011. I had been holding off due to the lack of Drive Extender but now seems the right time to do it.

I'm looking to use DriveBender as an alternative, has anyone had any experience with it good or bad? I'd be glad to hear.

Cheers

Jack

I have been using DB since the early beta stages. At first it was a bit buggy, but has improved over the versions. I currently have 7TB stored in DB with folders such as pictures duplicated - no problems. Load balancing works.

The forums and support are helpful if you do have any problems. I think there's a trial period till 1st July to see what you think.

The good thing about DB is you could instead of using WHS 2011 (which I did use) install on other OS's. I'm currently using my Microserver with DB on Windows 7 as my HTPC PC (I didn't use any features of WHS).

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you have to tell DB what folders to duplicate or can you just set it to duplicate everything that gets stored?

I'm looking for a solution where I can plug in a number of disks and know everything is protected from drive failure either through mirroring or parity or similar without me having to specify which folders I want protected. Likewise it would be nice to simply yank a drive and plug a bigger one in when I want to upgrade. Ideally I think something that doesnt mean I forfeit half my overall storage to redundancy.

The storage spaces option in W8/server 2012 looks ideal but I'm still unsure whether I should trust my data to a Beta/RC OS for the coming months until it's released properly (having said that, I can't say I've found any issues with the beta's of either of these OS's since using them)

Associate
Can anyone help please?

:(

With a Raid 5 array over a Gb LAN network (switches/NICs etc) I was topping out at 80-90 MBs for large file transfer and about 35 MBs for multiple small files.

Whats the specs exactly of your network and how have you set up the HDD's in your FreeNAS 7 install? Have you set the network adapter up with a static IP or are you using DCHP?

A little info goes a long way ... :D

Back
Top Bottom