1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Discussion in 'Servers and Enterprise Solutions' started by dragonuk, Dec 10, 2010.

1. the.m

Wise Guy

Now down to £99 exl vat with the cashback thats available, bargain.

2. HarryPainful

PermaBanned

WHS v1 is 32bit only, nothing over 4GB will be seen.

It also uses Drive Extender so using a RAID setup with it is pointless.

If you want it to see all your memory any run a RAID array then WHS vail is the better choice.

3. bremen1874

Capodecina

Unless I'm just not looking in the correct place, the ports aren't listed individually by number. I've just got the original option to choose between IDE, AHCI and RAID mode.

4. RoyMi6

Mobster

Ah, just looked up Drive Extender to see what you're talking about.

I'm not adverse to using it over RAID. As long as my data is backed up I'm not that bothered how it's done. Also, 4GB rather than 5GB is no real loss.

Saying that, might as well make the most of what I've got. Is WHS v2 (I assume this is what WHS Vail is?) out yet? I can't seem to find it anywhere for purchase.

EDIT: Answered my own question - no release date confirmed. Just RC. How are people finding this? Stable enough for important data?

Oh also, I always assumed it came without an OS. Is this correct? - EDIT: Yes, there is no OS pre installed

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  5. Jakus

Mobster

Guys, I've been playing with freeNAS and now WHS, You know I think freeNAS might be for Me ;)
    I just love it's low system resources and running from a little flash drive inside the case is amazing !

Anyone else tried both and got any views ?

6. Jakus

Mobster

Sounds strange, assuming a single controller surely can't have multiple options on the ports ?

7. bremen1874

Capodecina

From the AMD SB820M Southbridge Databook...

HP have obviously chosen the third mode. It makes sense as it keeps the swappable (and RAIDable) bays separate from the other two SATA connections. The unfortunate side effect is no hotswap for the eSATA connection.

8. Jakus

Mobster

Wow !, what will we have in raid mode, any idea ?

9. Jakus

Mobster

I found the white paper, no mention about all the ports in raid, may give you what You want on the eSata.

Has anyone worked out the assigned port numbers in the case ?

10. Al Vallario

Mobster

Thanks for the heads-up. I've had one for a couple of months now, but at this rate I might have to get another!

You would have to be a total muppet not to buy one of these now! I'm powerless to stop recommending these every time someone posts in Networks & Internet Connectivity asking which NAS device to drop £300/400 on :D

11. Jakus

Mobster

12. chenko

Mobster

This has already been mentioned, along with an official HP bios.

I have tried them both, HP first, Russian mod second with no luck myself - hoping someone else can confirm its working as even on the Russian site no one else does so either.

13. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Just to confirm, I can put a bog standard DDR3 stick of RAM in and it'll work?

14. Jakus

Mobster

What happens if You set Enable "raid" so it loads the on board raid bios, but do not actually set up raid ?

We could all actually do with knowing which main slots are paired or affected with this limitation anyone ?

15. WILD9

Wise Guy

Yes but dont mix it with the ecc its either or not both together.

16. chenko

Mobster

Don't exactly want to change to RAID so no idea.

Ports 4 and 5 are the single internal SATA and eSATA

0-3 is pretty much the front bay, from left to right.

If you want to setup raid, and not confuse drives - insert only the drives to raid first. sorted.

17. topher

Mobster

I take it a standard sata drive will slot into the 4 bays without having to purchase rails or caddies?

Only asking because the company I work for is looking to purchase a few of these, so I got a quote (wont say where from) but in the quote they had included caddies!!! so I gave them a call and they say to fit a sata drive it needs a caddy!

cheer
    Topher

18. bremen1874

Capodecina

The four caddies and the mounting screws are included.

19. topher

Mobster

cheers, thought as much....

they wanted a extra £137 for a 500GB sata drive and caddy! lol

20. smargh

Associate

Are you sure they quoted for the correct product? Or, perhaps they're just idiots.

The Microserver comes with the caddies for the four bays.

I can recommend the SuperMicro M14T if anyone wants to fill in the 5.25" bay with 2.5" disks, perhaps with an Adaptec 3805. The only down side of using a RAID card with the built-in 3.5" bays is that there are no status lights to indicate which have failed. It's DIYable, but a bit of a faff. Obviously it would need dual power supplies to be a proper business NAS though.