Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Thought you had 60 days iLo access before having to enter a key.

Anyway - it will only auto install server editions of windows - it's a manual process for Win7 and (I presume) Win 10?

I didn't want to raid my storage drives. 1 x 6TB, 2 x 4TB in 2, ,3, and 4. Formatted as ordinary drives.

I got mine to work with an SSD in bay 1 (it always boots to lowest slot first in ACHI I believe) for the OS (Win 7) and the storage drives in 2, 3 and 4. I put the OS disc in a USB DVD drove and away it went!

I haven't dared to update to win 10 unless it breaks!! Says graphics card not suitable for win 10. May not be true but I am content with win 7 for this server OS.

Mel

Last edited:
So I've managed to find the time to start setting up my microserver. The idea was was to replace my old synology nas with the microserver and also run one or two VMs for web development purposes. I've install an extra 8GB ram, and have one 500GB drive and a 1.5TB drive, will upgrade these at a later stage.

But have no idea where to start? Do I just install windows server on first and use hyper v to virtualise the rest?

I did manage to get iLo working.
Any guides I should be looking at to set up the server correctly?

edit - Also read about ESXI but from my understanding I'll need a windows machine (mac laptop only) to configure and install VMs using the vsphere client. Is there a mac alternative?

Last edited:
So I've managed to find the time to start setting up my microserver. The idea was was to replace my old synology nas with the microserver and also run one or two VMs for web development purposes. I've install an extra 8GB ram, and have one 500GB drive and a 1.5TB drive, will upgrade these at a later stage.

But have no idea where to start? Do I just install windows server on first and use hyper v to virtualise the rest?

I did manage to get iLo working.
Any guides I should be looking at to set up the server correctly?

edit - Also read about ESXI but from my understanding I'll need a windows machine (mac laptop only) to configure and install VMs using the vsphere client. Is there a mac alternative?

I highly recommend not virtualising any NAS software... it's a bad idea unless you don't mind the probability of losing your data.

If you want to use Windows + Hyper-V... then use Windows to manage your data.

If you want to use this as a BAS... then use XPEnology.

If you want to run VMs, then FreeNAS is a better option.

Just make sure the NAS system is your main OS... then add any extras on top of that unless you aren't worried about the security of your data, then it doesn't matter.

I highly recommend not virtualising any NAS software... it's a bad idea unless you don't mind the probability of losing your data.

There's nothing inherent in virtualisation that adds any riskiness to data storage. If you pass through your disks or disk controllers to a VM then it's no different to having the disks attached to a bare-metal OS. I know loads of people who pass their disks through to FreeNAS or OmniOS VMs without any issue.

The major downside with any sort of passthrough is that you lose the portability of the VM, in that you can't have it failover to a backup hypervisor. But this is unlikely to apply to the majority of people in this thread.

Also this:

...is going against your original point, seeing as how with Hyper-V your original Windows host becomes a VM when you install the Hyper-V role.

Finally got my server up and running with Win 10 installed, however I can't seem to find any drivers for it, only for Win 7 and Server 2012, can someone point me in the right direction?

I know literally nothing too, got it 2 weeks ago and I am still just tinkering when I have time to get a setup that I know how it works and its future proof, taking each problem 1 google at a time. a lot of info on youtube too! check out http://homeservershow.com/ forums.

Thanks for the link, will take a look.

If you want to use this as a BAS... then use XPEnology.

If you want to run VMs, then FreeNAS is a better option.

Just make sure the NAS system is your main OS... then add any extras on top of that unless you aren't worried about the security of your data, then it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the info. Can xpenology can not run any VM. Only looking to run maybe one or two VM (Linux, windows), probably not simultaneously.

Looks like I got a lot of reading to do.

Finally got my server up and running with Win 10 installed, however I can't seem to find any drivers for it, only for Win 7 and Server 2012, can someone point me in the right direction?

When I ran the win 10 "advisor" on MS from the Microserver it informed me that the graphics board was incompatible with Win 10. Being risk adverse I left mine in Win 7!!

Last edited:
There's nothing inherent in virtualisation that adds any riskiness to data storage. If you pass through your disks or disk controllers to a VM then it's no different to having the disks attached to a bare-metal OS. I know loads of people who pass their disks through to FreeNAS or OmniOS VMs without any issue.

The major downside with any sort of passthrough is that you lose the portability of the VM, in that you can't have it failover to a backup hypervisor. But this is unlikely to apply to the majority of people in this thread.

Also this:

...is going against your original point, seeing as how with Hyper-V your original Windows host becomes a VM when you install the Hyper-V role.

It does add an extra layer of failure potential, having the VM layer in the way... but it depends on how vital the data stored is, hence my question to the person asking for info.

Such data arrays are potentially quite volatile, so it's not worth the added risk when even bare metal OSes can fail relatively easily depending on the issue at hand.

That's not true re: Hyper-V.

Adding the role keeps the main OS as the main OS.

Hyper-V bare metal is effectively an OS without GUI front end and only command line interface (although there are third party tools, including window's own to manage it from another PC).

The situation you possit is if you install Hyper-V bare metal on a machine and then load a windows OS on top of that.

I want talking only about using windows as a primary VM and adding the Hyper-V role, which is much like installing VM Ware workstation.

Hyper-V VM is closer to VMWare VsPhere/similar... which is what you're talking about.

Any enterprise who uses VMWare or Hyper-V for their primary systems, has a seperate and dedicated NAS where the hard drives are connected directly to the bare metal OS.

If the person isn't too worried about the stbility of the data, then it's OK to experiment.

Thanks for the link, will take a look.

Thanks for the info. Can xpenology can not run any VM. Only looking to run maybe one or two VM (Linux, windows), probably not simultaneously.

Looks like I got a lot of reading to do.

XPEnology does not have the ability to run virtual machines, no.

It can be "bodged"... but requires a reasonable amount of experience/confidence with Linux to do it as it would be a custom installation.

For your needs, FreeNAS might be the best option as it offers a practically native ability to run VMs.

Also, FreeNAS uses a type of file system that is particularly efficient at discovering errors on hard drives... especially useful if you are planning to mix and match drives.

What is the intended use of the VMs that you plan to run? Is there any benefit you will see by running them 24/7 on your "home server" or is it something that might be best served by running on your PC/mac as and when you need it?

The reason I ask is that XPEnology is extremely easy to use and very good at managing fault tolerance... so personally with your possible setup, I would be tempted to keep the HP Gen8 as NAS-only and run the VMs directly on my main PC.

I don't tend to run too many VMs myself... but I have the benefit of a home server as well as my Gen8s which has a six-core intel CPU and 64GB ram... so the VMs go on that (under Hyper-V as I have Win Server 2012 R2 Datacentre).

Otherwise, depending on the need of the VM... I will still run some VMs on my main PC... but then it has a 10-core CPU and 32GB ram... so more than enough to run a few simultaneously.

What does device manager say? If you go to a missing driver right click -> properties -> details and change property to hardware id. Do you get as VEN and DEV number? If so use those details on the pcidatabase website and it will point you to the right driver for that device. It may still point you to a W7 driver but it should at least be right one.

Although W10 as a server OS? :confused:

Has anyone else got a 2.5" mechanical / SSD drive in the cd rack with the OS loaded running off the ODD Port? if so, how have you got it to boot up with first priority?

It works if I have no drives in the controller, but soon as I put a storage drive in it wont OS wont boot off the ODD port, seems their maybe only hacks to getting around it, ie making a microSD or USB to trick the server? Just wish their was a more concrete easier way... Either way would be interesting to see where everyone is loading their OS's.

XPEnology does not have the ability to run virtual machines, no.

It can be "bodged"... but requires a reasonable amount of experience/confidence with Linux to do it as it would be a custom installation.

For your needs, FreeNAS might be the best option as it offers a practically native ability to run VMs.

Also, FreeNAS uses a type of file system that is particularly efficient at discovering errors on hard drives... especially useful if you are planning to mix and match drives.

What is the intended use of the VMs that you plan to run? Is there any benefit you will see by running them 24/7 on your "home server" or is it something that might be best served by running on your PC/mac as and when you need it?

The reason I ask is that XPEnology is extremely easy to use and very good at managing fault tolerance... so personally with your possible setup, I would be tempted to keep the HP Gen8 as NAS-only and run the VMs directly on my main PC.

I don't tend to run too many VMs myself... but I have the benefit of a home server as well as my Gen8s which has a six-core intel CPU and 64GB ram... so the VMs go on that (under Hyper-V as I have Win Server 2012 R2 Datacentre).

Otherwise, depending on the need of the VM... I will still run some VMs on my main PC... but then it has a 10-core CPU and 32GB ram... so more than enough to run a few simultaneously.

The plan was to eventually host a personal django project on a linux VM that can only be access on my local network.

Last edited:
That's not true re: Hyper-V.

Adding the role keeps the main OS as the main OS.

Yes, it is true, and I'm not talking about the standalone Hyper-V. When you install the Hyper-V role the host OS becomes a VM itself. It still looks like it's a standard Windows host, but the OS becomes a VM and resides in a Parent Partition. See here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-V#Architecture

Therefore, attaching your storage drives to the host machine is the same as attaching them to a guest VM - it all goes through the Hyper-V hypervisor.

Yup. Hyper-V is a Type 1 Hypervisor.

2008.10.hyperv.fig01(en-gb).gif

From here : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/2008.10.hyperv.aspx

Hyper-V bare metal is effectively an OS without GUI front end and only command line interface (although there are third party tools, including window's own to manage it from another PC).

That's 'Server core' and it's nothing to do with Hyper-V
Hyper-V is a Windows role, server core is a OS choice.

Any enterprise who uses VMWare or Hyper-V for their primary systems, has a seperate and dedicated NAS where the hard drives are connected directly to the bare metal OS.

Personally, I can see why smaller companies would use a NAS, but an enterprise using one over a SAN should be purchased, asset stripped and managed a whole not better.

Nothing wrong with using Hyper-V hosts with local storage, especially for relatively small setups. Dual SAN should only be considered when a large number of hosts required. NAS supplying Hyper-V hosts would be a strange way of doing it and likely have issues.

I have 2 VM's on my server, both sat on an SSD, works fine for me, seems a bit redundant talking about SANs and large numbers of hosts when its not really designed for that..

Back
Top Bottom