Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

That was always kinda where it'd end up, however not being able to find used CPU's and RAID cards was the major outlay, E3-1260L's aren't cheap and neither are P222/512's...

I use my gen8 as a htpc, and the tv connected to this has just been replaced for a 4k one and i use a GeForce 210, which can output 4k on desktop, but when you throw some actual 4k content at it, it falls over pretty miserably. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement for this? I know it needs to be of the same vain, low profile low powered, so will any current card do.

Something like this? or Nvidia equivelant?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...-4096mb-gddr3-pci-express-card-gx-332-sp.html

Thanks

Cookie

I use my gen8 as a htpc, and the tv connected to this has just been replaced for a 4k one and i use a GeForce 210, which can output 4k on desktop, but when you throw some actual 4k content at it, it falls over pretty miserably. Can anyone recommend a decent replacement for this? I know it needs to be of the same vain, low profile low powered, so will any current card do.

Something like this? or Nvidia equivelant?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/sapp...-4096mb-gddr3-pci-express-card-gx-332-sp.html

Thanks

Cookie

Is that card low profile?

I thought that card looked low profile.

The 4k content was an mkv, about 45gb. If i stream 4k content off youtube for example its fine. So i just thought it was the card, perhaps its CPU limited?

MKV is a container, the video codec can vary. The card needs to support the video codec to accelerate it. If it's say H.265 then anything short of a GTX960 can't decode at the moment, which isn't available in low-profile or <75W.

Ideally you need to keep to 35W CPUs so the passive cooling doesn't struggle. The recommended Xeon CPUs are just unaffordable but the i3 3220T and 3240T aren't expensive on the auction site. I've got a 3220T in mine and it's a useful boost over the standard CPU.

Anyone running a core i3? I don't need the virtualisation type stuff so thinking they might be a good option being cheaper and with HT

MKV is a container, the video codec can vary. The card needs to support the video codec to accelerate it. If it's say H.265 then anything short of a GTX960 can't decode at the moment, which isn't available in low-profile or <75W.

Oh yeah Doh. The file was h.265 so explains it then. Will have to wait until something can do it then, or start replacing rigs lol

A[L]C;29901255 said:
Anyone running a core i3? I don't need the virtualisation type stuff so thinking they might be a good option being cheaper and with HT
As I said, I have an i3 3220T in mine. I think someone further up the thread said he was using a full-power i3 3220 without problems but it's not something I'd want to do.

I know this is an old thread but hoped another owner might be able to help me

I have just tried to update the bios on this machine after installing windows 10 only to find that for some bizarre reason HPE restrict the bios download amongst a few others to those with current carepacks only

The nonsensical reason they gave was that "some people" buy their machines and rebadge them, but they would be doing this instantly and would therefore have complete access to the rompaqs at the time so the ONLY people it punishes is end users like myself

No other company I am aware of do this and it is (IMO) simply a form of extortion to force people into purchasing a care package merely to get upgrades that SHOULD (also IMO) be freely available

I updated several machines during the free upgrade period some much older than my ML110 g7 and every single other manufacturer allowed free access to all updates

So my question is could someone point me towards another (trusted) source for the bios updates for this machine or failing that does anyone have a copy of the image sat on a hard drive gathering virtual dust they could email me a copy of?

Thank you

Mike

Yet another reason why HP are losing me as a customer..

There are a few people that download and share the ISO's, if you could find one of those and burn it, should see you right..

Just looked on the HP site - my "entitlement" to download the BIOS and system update iso runs out on Sept 26th. I updated when I set the thing up in Sept 2015 and there don't seem to be any critical updates that are worth the update - unless I want to change the processor to i3-2130 or i3-3240. Seems to run ok just as a back up server for my files and photos - I am not convinced any BIOS and Firmware upgrade would be worth the risk, or cost (around £200) for new CPU.

Any views? Mel

Yet another reason why HP are losing me as a customer..

There are a few people that download and share the ISO's, if you could find one of those and burn it, should see you right..

I'm uploading the latest one to Google Drive. Give me a few hours as my upload is less than stella.

Upload complete.
SPP2016040.2016_0317.20

Linkified the ISO. ^

Boot into it either via the ILO or USB and pick (Whatever the none automatic option update is) - It will then scan the hardware and inventory the firmware versions to what is available on the ISO and give you the option to update them. (Also gives you the forced option to update the up to date firmware as well)

Takes a few mins to scan but does get the job done.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom