Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Yup. Hyper-V is a Type 1 Hypervisor.

2008.10.hyperv.fig01(en-gb).gif

From here : https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/2008.10.hyperv.aspx

That's Hyper-V bare metal, not Hyper-V added as a role.

Hyper-V added as a role does not virtualise the primary OS when the role is added.

Has anyone else got a 2.5" mechanical / SSD drive in the cd rack with the OS loaded running off the ODD Port? if so, how have you got it to boot up with first priority?

It works if I have no drives in the controller, but soon as I put a storage drive in it wont OS wont boot off the ODD port, seems their maybe only hacks to getting around it, ie making a microSD or USB to trick the server? Just wish their was a more concrete easier way... Either way would be interesting to see where everyone is loading their OS's.

I believe you have to reflash it.

Hyper-V added as a role does not virtualise the primary OS when the role is added.

Yes it does! Are you seriously trying to argue this? Even after you've been pointed at the documentation that says otherwise? Look here, from Microsoft:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768520(v=bts.10).aspx

The following diagram provides a high-level overview of the architecture of a Hyper-V environment running on Windows Server 2008.

Note how it says 'Windows Server 2008' and not 'Hyper-V 2008'. Note how the Hypervisor sits below the root partition (i.e. the original host OS).

Last edited:
What does device manager say? If you go to a missing driver right click -> properties -> details and change property to hardware id. Do you get as VEN and DEV number? If so use those details on the pcidatabase website and it will point you to the right driver for that device. It may still point you to a W7 driver but it should at least be right one.

Although W10 as a server OS? :confused:

Just states Windows Generic Video Driver, would a Win7 driver work for it?

I'll only be using the Gen 8 for storage of media for Plex and as a print server. I had a W10 license going spare and I've never used XPenology, hence it should do the job :D

Yes it does! Are you seriously trying to argue this? Even after you've been pointed at the documentation that says otherwise? Look here, from Microsoft:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc768520(v=bts.10).aspx

I've got 2 servers at home, and two more in front of me here, all have Windows Server as the host OS and then Hyper-V added as a role, non of the machines have virtualised the host OS.

Perhaps you guys are both getting your wires crossed..

I've got 2 servers at home, and two more in front of me here, all have Windows Server as the host OS and then Hyper-V added as a role, non of the machines have virtualised the host OS.

Perhaps you guys are both getting your wires crossed..

You can't tell just be looking at the OS. The login all looks the same, you can't manage the parent VM from another Hyper-V client or server, and from within the OS the driver model looks the same. But trust me, but the OS is very definitely a VM, running in the Parent Partition. It's the way its worked since Virtual PC gave way to Hyper-V. It's not possible to install Hyper-V as a Type 2 style hypervisor like VMWare Workstation or VirtualBox. Even the Windows client OSs with the Hyper-V role (8 and 10) work this way.

I can't believe you guys don't get this. It's one of the fundamental architectural considerations of Hyper-V.

A common misconception about Microsoft Hyper-V is that since a Windows OS is required to install Hyper-V, it operates on the host operating system rather than directly on the hardware. It is important to note that once the Hyper-V role is enabled through the Server Manager, the hypervisor code is actually configured to start in the Windows kernel space. Components running in the kernel space always have direct access to the hardware, and the same applies to Hyper-V.

1 more:

When Hyper-V runs as a role on Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2 it's still and hypervisor.

It is type 1 (bare metal) in both cases.

The trick here is that when you install Hyper-V as a role on Windows Server 2008 R2 you see the Windows Server like a host OS and it is not. The setup converts the original OS in something like a VM and puts the hypervisor below. This is what is called the root or parent partition of Hyper-V. That's why you experience the same sped in what you see as the "real machine" and the virtual machines.

http://serverfault.com/questions/326844/is-hyper-v-a-real-hypervisor

Last edited:
Your first quote, I'm reading that differently to you clearly, it might run in the kernel space, but thats not the same thing as the host OS being converted in some way to an actual VM.

Finally got my server up and running with Win 10 installed, however I can't seem to find any drivers for it, only for Win 7 and Server 2012, can someone point me in the right direction?

Hello Furton - did you find win 10 drivers or does it work on win 10 with win 7 drivers? Interested as I am on Win 7 still.

Mel

jesus. ive had this thing for nearly a month and im losing my mind trying to do a simple thing such as boot the os drive off the ODD port. what is the cryptic god forbidden scecret? no one talks of this. I have tried a microSD bootloader and will not boot still. ive tried config it to raid 0 and then installed only not to work in ACHI with storage drives. why so hard :confused:

jesus. ive had this thing for nearly a month and im losing my mind trying to do a simple thing such as boot the os drive off the ODD port. what is the cryptic god forbidden scecret? no one talks of this. I have tried a microSD bootloader and will not boot still. ive tried config it to raid 0 and then installed only not to work in ACHI with storage drives. why so hard :confused:
I wish people would not advertise this method. If you want to boot from ODD you need to be in RAID mode, that is the simple answer mate.

I wish people would not advertise this method. If you want to boot from ODD you need to be in RAID mode, that is the simple answer mate.

It will boot in ACHI mode with ONLY a drive in the ODD (which is slot 5) (and installing an OS from a USB / USB-DVD). BUT as soon as you insert another HDD in one of the 4 main slots the thing tries to boot from that. If you want to use ACHI / non raid the boot disc has to be in slot 1 (LH slot) leaving 3 slots for separate ACHI storage drives.

Mel

Last edited:
A[L]C;29885739 said:
Can anyone recommend me a CPU upgrade? I'm running ubuntu server, so no vm's.
Ideally you need to keep to 35W CPUs so the passive cooling doesn't struggle. The recommended Xeon CPUs are just unaffordable but the i3 3220T and 3240T aren't expensive on the auction site. I've got a 3220T in mine and it's a useful boost over the standard CPU.

Back
Top Bottom