Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Does anyone know how to use the bios mods to activate the 5th drive for the N54L? Wanting to put my ssd in top for boot drive so iv got 4 data drives is all

Iv used The Bay's modded BIOS and going off what my settings was and are now i suspect i had afew things in default bios set wayyy wrong. I had Drive Write Cache disabled making my performance really slow. Using a 7200rpm drive through the normal backplane im seeing a much higher increase in speed in win7 (i use my device for xpenology and backup windows device/kodi streamer)

Just need a molex to sata power adapter now which i don't have oddly and ill be cooking

I do have a gpu in it too are they any good for home streaming games via steam? never thought to try

Long shot, but does anyone have a spare key for the door on the N40L microserver they wouldn't mind sending me please?

I seem to have lost mine when I moved house! I've posted a wanted in the MM too if you want to go through there

Cheers!

Hi i have the HP ProLiant N40L not sure what version bought it 4 years ago currently it has 2gb of memory in it would like to put another stick in 2gb .

looking at the memory on the ocuk shop struggling to understand what is compatible can anyone point me in the right direction please.

some cpuz info it it helps ,

n9PmB9N.jpg DmnULVk.jpg

aM19jRp.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah fair point tbh, I got rid of mine when I got my Gen8, then got it back when the guy that was using it no longer needed it, took the drives out of it as they were his and dropped the free VMWare 6 on there to play with, 16Gb RAM, PCI-E NIC, 1Tb WD RE, might set it up as a router and drop my Virgin Media into modem mode..

Why wouldn't I be using it? Runs FreeNAS as well as the day I bought it.

Raggs,
RAM is DDR3 ECC 1333MHz as standard.

Thanks just looking into it also looking at Freenas tutorial on you tube , how come it needs 8gb of ram ? recommended minimum 4gb seems a lot compared to WHS.

Can freenas stream mkv / mp4 files to a smart tv, never used it might give it a go for fun :)

RAM requirement is because FreeNAS uses the ZFS file system which has all sorts of clever voodoo magic under the hood.

I just set mine up as pure storage a few years ago, and apart from replacing a failed drive never had a bit of bother with it. I believe you might be able to bolt on media servers to FreeNAS now, but I've never bothered as I have a Mac mini setup with Kodi with the media on the FreeNAS.

I take it the old N36L/N40L are still more than adequate for network shares? I'd just be using it for media and general storage to serve up to laptops/iPads/iPhones/Fire TV so wouldn't need to do any processing.

More than adequate mate. - I'd bump up the ram depending on the OS you use, set it up and forget it.

Back
Top Bottom