Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
The N36L/N40L/N54L doesn't support registered/buffered RAM. I used Kingston ValueRAM ECC unbuffered.

ECC is different to parity. ECC is Error Checking and Correction, Parity to use the same parlance is just Error Checking.

Associate
I've got nothing to test it in. A colleague of mine tested it in his home PC and reckons its fine, but my n40l won't even post with it. There aren't any bios changes I should be making are there?

Soldato
Hi All,
I have a Gen 8 currently running baremetal XPENOLOGY DSM 5.2-5644 Update 3
I have done a few updates in the past but always it seems in different ways and I forget how it worked!
Whats the best way to update to the 5.2-5967.1 - which I believe is the latest stable?

Deleted member 138126

D

Deleted member 138126

If you are comfortable with ESXi, I'd recommend booting off ESXi (USB key plugged into the motherboard), then create a VM with the hard drives passed through as RDMs (Raw Device Mappings). That way you can use the newer XPEnology boot loader that supports DSM 6, and you no longer have that hardware driver dependency.

Soldato
At the moment I'm running my Gen8 in AHCI mode with an SSD in bay 1 (running whs), and 2x4TB WD drives in bay 2 and 3.

I'm planning on changing to ubuntu server and doing a mdadm RAID1 setup with the two storage drives - is there any issue with the drives being split across sata3 6gb/s and 3gb/s? Is it worth picking up a different sas card?

Thanks!

Soldato
What's the advantage of having 2 NIC's on the Gen8? Would I see any benefit in doing so if I was just using it via Synology/Xpenology?

Back
Top Bottom