Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
so is the Gen8 still a good buy after all these years? for general storage/media server use?

I'd say so... the G1610T/2020T versions are still going strong for us at work, about 150+ of them so far, and we're now getting i3 processors in the latest ones we get.

First batch of 10 are about to go out of warranty and are being extended, as they're rock solid, and given that we use them for Hyper-V hosts with at least a domain controller VM and file server VM on, bog standard general/media use is fine.

Associate
Has anyone any news about Gen10 MicroServer yet?

With the Gen8 being discounted so heavily in the last few month, I figure a Gen10 is probably coming.

Associate
Be nice to see where they go with it, 32Gb is a must, not sure what else they would do tbh, I've already moved on to a Frankenbuild...

Probably Apollo Lake based processors, for better performance while lower power consumption. Hopefully quad core too. That's all I want. And yes 32GB support like you said.

Wouldn't mind them getting rid of the DVD drive for a proper SSD mount either.

Soldato
Who needs proper mounts, you can fit 2x 2.5" drives under the optical drive anyway lol
Add to that 4x 2.5" on an SDM, 4x 3.5" in the front bays..

If it could hold 32Gb I'd still be running my Gen8..

Soldato
Keep an eye out on the Gen8's, they're still showing with cashback, transfer your RAM and drives from the N54L over and off you go...
That's why I'm struggling to sell mine, everyone wants it for nothing despite the fact its got a Xeon and 16Gb RAM in it.... :/

Associate
Proper mounts as in removable trays. I think that would be nice.

Personally I don't think the Gen8 is a big enough upgrade over the N54L, at least not for me.

Soldato
I went from the N40L (which I still have just not in use) so the Gen8 was more an obvious step for me, G1610T to i3 then to Xeon, 4-16gb RAM, P222, it was only when I needed more than 16Gb RAM that I moved on, replacement is nowhere near as small though, the side effect of being able to fit 10 drives...

Mines not on the bay at the mo, using it to test a P410/1Gb, which will then be replacing the P222/512mb...

Xez

Xez

Associate
Interest to know how you achieved that. In AHCI mode I think the fan never went below 12%?

In hospital at the moment so I can't check my bios settings but I can provide a screenshot of the storage administrator if that helps?

Off the top of my head, isn't a P410 the previous generation to a P222?

Yeah the P212 I'm sure was the generation of the 410 as a 420 was released along with the P222.

Back
Top Bottom