Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Associate
Hi,

I currently have Windows 7 64bit installed on my Gen8 with a Samsung SSD in the 1st bay and 8TB WD Reds in bays 2 & 3 everything RAID 0 using the onboard B120i, has an i3 (stock heatsink) and 16GB Ram also and is used as plexserver/smb share for Nvidia shield boxes running Kodi/SPMC and as a utorrent box with sonarr and couchpotato.

Is there a way to install the SSD via sata cable and the 8TB Reds without using RAID 0? as i would like to use Stablebit drivepool and scanner.

Thanks in advance

Nick

GDL

GDL

Associate
Get a SATA expansion card, you will have to do some physical work to the back of the four drive bays to remove the SAS\SATA connector from the harness from what I recall due to the connector having both power and data in a single block.

Soldato
Hi,

I currently have Windows 7 64bit installed on my Gen8 with a Samsung SSD in the 1st bay and 8TB WD Reds in bays 2 & 3 everything RAID 0 using the onboard B120i, has an i3 (stock heatsink) and 16GB Ram also and is used as plexserver/smb share for Nvidia shield boxes running Kodi/SPMC and as a utorrent box with sonarr and couchpotato.

Is there a way to install the SSD via sata cable and the 8TB Reds without using RAID 0? as i would like to use Stablebit drivepool and scanner.

Thanks in advance

Nick

You can still use drivepool with r0 it'll be fine

Associate
Ah nice one, i'll get a fdd to sata power connector and move the ssd from bay 1 to the odd sata port, i'll obviously have to reinstall windows 7 again.

As my 8TB WD Red's are set up individually as RAID 0 on the B120i will I lose all the data on them if i move them between bays?

I have some spare 6TB drives i'd like to add in the now 2 spare bays, I plan to RAID 0 these individually and then create a drivepool within Windows 7.

Thanks again

Nick

Associate
I thought you couldn't use the ODD sata port if you select AHCI?

I placed the SSD within bay 1 as I didnt have a FDD-sata cable when i first set my Gen8 up.

Associate
Anyone got Server 2016 Essentials installed on their N54L? Constantly spiking to 100% on the CPU and seems pretty slow and clunky.

Soldato
I removed and modded the brackets, that took me about 2 hours with breaks, then I used a spanner with some case screws to secure it to the motherboard.... hard part was screwing it all back in :)

Stelly
Thanks for that. I'll look at that as an option if I need to upgrade the i3 3240T currently in there.

Back
Top Bottom