Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Soldato
Thanks.

So I just installed a new 3TB HD but disk management doesn't like it. It asks so choose either MBR or GPT when I open disk management but then says "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" every time. I have tried the HD in a couple of different slot but it still persists. Any ideas?
Try it in another machine. If it still fails, send it back.

Soldato
Never needed iLO on my Microservers. Basically unless your server is sitting in a remote datacentre, it's a luxury.

As above, iLO was intended for rack mounted servers that are generally hosted away from the user. The microserver is not rack mountable, and will likely be housed on someones desk in an office, or for those using at home stored on a shelf or in a cupboard.

Not just for that, no need for monitor, keyboard, mouse to ever be used/connected.

What are you running on a microserver that doesn't have some form of RDP/SSH/Web server?

I agree that initial set up might require a monitor and keyboard/mouse to be connected, but after everything has been set up, should no longer be required.

The only time iLO actually comes in handy is if the server crashes and needs a forced reboot.

Associate
I currently have one of these setup with a 1260L (sandybridge) 16GB of RAM and running Server 2012 R2. 500 GB SSD in bay 1, 6 TB in bay 2, and 2 4 TB disk in the other bays. All are setup on the software raid as their own disk.

My current plan is to move the SSD to the ODD port, I am aware that I will need a floppy -> sata power cable + sata cable. I then wish to move over to CentOS or Arch instead of Server 2012 R2. The 6 TB has about 400 GB free, the other disks have about 2 TB used between them. My main question is, what will be the least awful way of migrating everything over to linux? I will be adding in another 4 TB disk after everything is moved, so I guess I will have to shuffle the 6 TB onto the other disks before hand and setup the 6 TB in linux.

Has anyone had any experience with migrating a plex server from windows to linux? I'm aware of how to do it from windows - windows, are there any specific things to do with linux?

Are there any "gotchas" to look out for when installing CentOS or any other distro on these servers?

Man of Honour
Just wondering why you want to make that move? If you don't know Linux well enough to answer your own questions you're in for a bit of learning and headaches on the way!

Associate
Just wondering why you want to make that move? If you don't know Linux well enough to answer your own questions you're in for a bit of learning and headaches on the way!

I'm familiar enough with Linux to do most of what I need to do, I was more just looking to see if anyone else had done a similar move and what headaches they encountered so I can quickly work through them :)

maj

maj

Soldato
Went to finally get my gen 8 up and running last night but could only seem to be able to have a RAID array of either 0 or 1+0. What gives? Do I need some sort of firmware update to give me more options?

maj

maj

Soldato
P222 seems rather pricey but if it's what I need then so be it. That depends on the options available to me. I've got 4 3TB drives to do something with.

maj

maj

Soldato
I want to utilise as much of the potential storage capacity I have whilst still having redundancy for drive failure/data security.

I'm happy to consider other options at this stage.

Soldato
Ok, have a look at the Stablebit stuff, Drivepool gives you the ability to mix and match drive types, data is stored on an NTFS/ReFS partition, so if something happens to the server you can simply stick the drive into another PC, it'll will let you pick what folders are duplicated so you don't waste as much drive space duplicating everything in the way you would with RAID.
Pair that with their Scanner software which monitors SMART on the drives, and when it detects an error will automatically evacuate a drive.

Back
Top Bottom