1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Discussion in 'Servers and Enterprise Solutions' started by dragonuk, Dec 10, 2010.

1. dymetrie

Wise Guy

Excellent!

Well the GFX card is doing what I want it to do (actually output a display that isn't pants) so all good :)

2. Armageus

Don

3. BongoHunter

Wise Guy

4. Snapshot

Mobster

Well, that looks very interesting with a few caveats.
    How much are we going to be ripped-off for the ILO Enablement Kit which I certainly consider essential?
    I would like to have seen two 2.5Gb/s, 5Gb/s or even 10Gb/s LAN ports rather than four 1Gb/s.
    I'd also like to know what alternative CPUs are in Intel's stable. Are there any 35W variants that support ECC these days?
    <Later> Yes, there is a G5420T so possibly others that are better too.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  5. Quartz

Capodecina

I'm disappointed by the storage limits: 4 TB per drive max really? I'm hoping that's the max they supply, not the max they support.

Agreed.

6. Quartz

Capodecina

The E-2278GEL looks interesting. Of course, we don't yet know if the CPUs are socketted or surface-mounted.

7. Armageus

Don

8. Quartz

Capodecina

Looking at page 3 of the PDF I see the internal SAS port to the right of the CPU, just above the '3' line, but is that a SATA port just off top-right?

9. Trig

Mobster

I need to downsize my server, the 10+ could be an option, not sure where the 4tb limit comes from, certainly an odd one these days..

10. Avalon

Soldato

Surely as every single previous generation has worked perfectly with all current gen drives, you understand the difference between HP certifying something works in one market segment and what actually works the real world? It's like the socketed CPU posts earlier, it's a CPU that was only available in a socketed form.

11. Armageus

Don

12. Trig

Mobster

I understand how it works yes, my point was given the size of drives these days why only certify up to 4gb..

13. Quartz

Capodecina

On Intel's website it's listed as embedded. Just because it has a socket doesn't mean that it can be removed from the socket.

14. Armageus

Don

15. Quartz

Capodecina

Which is the CPU under discussion. With 8 cores, 16 threads, and a mere 35 W TDP it should be a perfect fit for this server.

16. Mr.Shabz

Associate

Possibly basing it on the drives they sell & support currently? With all the 14tb shucking going on it would be crazy not to work with them.
    Code:
    NOTE: The maximum storage indicated is aligned with the current HDD & SSD option list supported. Maximum internal storage
    supported would change with the server’s option support plan.

17. Armageus

Don

It will likely work fine, much like the N36L Quickspecs says this:
    Code:
    Maximum Internal Storage Non-Hot Plug SATA 8TB (4 x 2TB) 3.5" SATA
    And the Gen8 says:
    Code:
    Maximum Internal Storage Non-Hot Plug SATA 16TB (4 x 4TB) 3.5" SATA
    https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04111672
    https://h20195.www2.hpe.com/v2/getdocument.aspx?docname=c04123182

18. Avalon

Soldato

As I said, market segmentation is a thing. Home users shucking drives are not part of HP’s target market, commercial enterprise that wants more than 4x4TB are pushed to a more capable server.

No, that’s the random CPU you plucked from ARK for reasons only you seem to understand. We are discussing CPU’s that are actually compatible the product, they are clearly socketed and listed in ARK as such, the info posted makes all of that quite clear. Larger drives will work perfectly, the N36L will run the largest drives available and its ancient, so will every other generation of microserver.

Are you not familiar with the product line and it’s history or just reading something else/confused?

19. Quartz

Capodecina

You mean like it appears to be compatible with the socket in the Gen 10 Plus? At a compatible TDP? That at 8 cores & 16 threads it's a signigficant upgrade? That it's the best of that series at that TDP?

Thank you for your spectacular display of ignorance.

Let me requote @Snapshot:

(Bolding mine.)

20. Armageus

Don

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who misread your responses

Even if it's the same socket and a compatible TDP there's still no guarantee the BIOS will have any support for it.