Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

How does power consumption compare.

I'm still running a 40NL but only use it for file storage and plex.

I'll try to remember to have look at the power stat's on the UPS management software when I'm home. Hopefully once I turn off the MS I can see the difference to work out what the new server is pulling. I'd guess the i5 uses more power but I've gone from RAID controller with 2 x HDD and 2 x SDD to 2 x NVME so hopefully offsets the CPU.

I'm about to retire my Gen10 MS after it's been chugging away for about 6.5 years. I had two R1 arrays hanging off a P420 controller - 2TB HD and 500GB SSD. A few months back the VMs on it starting running really slow and I eventually worked out one of the SSDs had died. I ordered a new SSD from OCUK to collect the next morning but overnight the second SSD decided to drop out the array (even though the HP SSA tool reported it was healthy). I spent a while trying to get the VMFS partition on the SSDs back online but without success.

I decided to replaced it with a new setup, so went for a micro ATX build based on an i5-12400. I spent a while looking at RAID options but couldn't bothered with potential faff trying to get older (cheaper!) cards booting properly in UEFI, so I've just shoved in two NVME drives in so VMs are split between them and image the whole server to a USB HD every night. Going from 2 cores at 1.6Ghz with 24GB RAM to 6C/12T and 64GB RAM is nice - VMs fly now, especially if patching anything Windows based.

I went from the Gen8 to the custom build route after there was no Gen9 and the 10 was missing things compared to the Gen8, it certainly gives you better options and more flexibility, especially as its all now sat in an NR200..

Back
Top Bottom