Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Why?

Cost, power consumption and nerd points :-/

My question is along the lines of whether it is a feasible solution as an upgrade from the N40L?

Still pondering an upgrade from the N40L.

I was reading about the Gen8, with an upgraded CPU.

This compares the CPUs of the N40L, Gen8 Vanilla and Gen8 upgraded. But then the power consumption is higher, or would it be similar at idle? - https://www.cpubenchmark.net/compar...-1265L-V2-vs-AMD-Turion-II-Neo-N40L-Dual-Core

You'd think power consumption would be higher, but because faster chips get work done quicker, they return to idle state much sooner. It's also worth bearing in mind that power saving tech is lot worse on older chips (i.e. they don't respond as quickly)

Modern N100 and similar are absolute beasts however in terms of power usage vs performance.

1726063064900.png

I’ve still got my N54L gathering dust in the cupboard. I’d sell it on but I think postage would be high wouldn’t it.

I have N36L/N40L/N54L still fully working because I couldn't find anyone to buy them even offered them loaded out with HDD & SAS cards still no offers.

All of them served me very well for years and how HP was able to offer such great cashback deals is incredible.

I did pick up a Gen 8 which was so different to the previous one & I wasn't a fan of the direction they had gone in with the iLo etc (The thing is so loud as well)

I have N36L/N40L/N54L still fully working because I couldn't find anyone to buy them even offered them loaded out with HDD & SAS cards still no offers.

All of them served me very well for years and how HP was able to offer such great cashback deals is incredible.

I did pick up a Gen 8 which was so different to the previous one & I wasn't a fan of the direction they had gone in with the iLo etc (The thing is so loud as well)
ive moved to a full tower case server now. i did like the compact size of the HP though. its just sitting in the back of my cupboard.

seems like its just going to stay that way now

I built a system in an NR200, so not small compared to the microservers, but certainly small enough to be easily tucked out of the way.

AMD Ryzen 5700G
64GB RAM
250gb NVME drive (OS)
500gb NVME drive (VM Storage)
500gb 2.5" SATA SSD (Drivepool cache drive)
4tb 2.5 SATA SSD (Part of pool)
2x6tb WD Red 3.5" (Part of pool)

Back
Top Bottom