1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Cheap Server - HP Proliant Microserver 4 BAY - OWNERS THREAD

Discussion in 'Servers and Enterprise Solutions' started by dragonuk, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Nikumba

Mobster

Where does the 6th drive go?

2. Burnsy2023

Man of Honour

Looks like that takes a 2.5" and 3.5" drive in the caddy.

3. CraigN

Wise Guy

the machine cannot take 6 drives without a controller card though.

4. kae2

Wise Guy

4 Cold Swap bays
    1 ODD SATA Port on M'board
    1 ESata Port (wire run in from back, custom BIOS).

5. smargh

Associate

Perhaps, if you're stacking SSDs or cool 2.5" HDDs into the ODD bay, you could use a USB hub, ideally finding one which could take 12v power from a Molex connector. Or you could disassemble 8+ 2.5" USB->SATA enclosures - they might all fit.

6. kae2

Wise Guy

That would be horribly slow.

Just use a SATA pci-e add-in card.

7. pespro

Gangster

I had so many problems getting it to work as a media centre i ditched it and went with Windows 7.
    Had to install BDA drivers etc.
    Not sure how different SBS is to R2.

8. chrisvb

Gangster

i'm thinking about buying one of these instead of a nas and installing whs or windows server 2008 and putting 2x 2tb drives. couple of questions: Can this handle streaming all my movies to a couple of xbmc xboxes a htpc and a wdtv. Also would this be pointless as i currently have a dell poweredge sc1425, but it uses alot of power to be on 24/7 and is very noisy.

9. kae2

Wise Guy

Don't know about your first point, but the microservers are quiet and efficient enough to be left on all the time, so that answers that one!

10. Guru

Mobster

I'm assuming that you won't be streaming to them at the same time?

Mine quite happily streams and transcodes mkv files to my ps3 and laptop, although the ps3 seemed to struggle with a 17gb one the other night, ended up plugging a laptop in instead and streaming to that. Will try again now I have 8GB of ram in the server and report back.

/edit didn't help with 8GB

Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  11. AtomicBanana

Wise Guy

So my Ubuntu system kept freezing/being slugglish and killing off sabnzbd/sickbeard randomly. I've turned off granola and the problems seem to have gone away (also, why was granola using 100's of MB of ram??) anyone had any similar issues?

12. chenko

Mobster

Need the custom bios to run this rear? why would they even include it physically then?

Mine works neither with or without the custom firmware - and I do see the 6 ports in the bios :/

13. kae2

Wise Guy

Have you enabled the port in the bios?

Full details here: Tim's 7.4TB Unraid NAS on AV Forums.

14. macfanuk

PermaBanned

Not sure if this has been covered but does anyone know how I can install Windows Server 2008 R2 onto a USB pen?

15. Ozymandias

Hitman

Anyone know how to enable the 5/6 ahci port as external/removable so it's listed in Safely Remove Hardware in the tray?

I'm using WHS2011 with the modified bios with all 6 ports seen as ahci and a tray in the odd slot.

WHS2011 sees a drive inserted in the tray correctly but I'd like to safely remove the drive using the Safely Remove Hardware tray item.

I've tried adding a registry entry "TreatAsInternalPort" as 0x0 under

HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel<N>

to no avail. It doesn't bring up the Safely Remove Hardware list.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  16. AbsenceJam

Mobster

Use http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm .

17. Ozymandias

Hitman

Thanks for the pointer.

After further thought I've managed to sort it using "Safely Remove Hardware" without using that utility.

In bios under Chipset / SouthBridge Configuration / SB Sata Configuration

Disable "SATA IDE Combined Mode" - sets port 5 and 6 to use AHCI
    Enable "SATA ESP on all PORT" - sets all ports to be external SATA ports

then set ports 1 - 4 to be internal via the registry (unless you want to hot swap all the drives)

reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel0" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel1" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel2" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    reg.exe add "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\msahci\Controller0\Channel3" /f /v TreatAsInternalPort /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001

Now inserting a drive in ports 5 and 6 cause "Safely Remove Hardware" to be available and it all works :)

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  18. Sareth

Wise Guy

People who have added an extra drive in the optical bay, what sort of mounting system have you used ?

I have a few 5.25" to 3.5" brackets but decided to go with something that allows front access to the drive, this isn't working so well...

The one I've picked up doesn't work very well with the mounting screws being in grooves as the bay relies on the side brackets being firmly screwed in for the vibration damping to work, as it is the screws on the left hand side kind of flop out because of the slack allowed by the vibration damping.

Also I was trying to avoid a bay with a 40mm fan in it....

19. Ozymandias

Hitman

I used an Icy Box IB-168SK-B. The rubber mounts on it are a bit of a pain the Microserver as they allow the side screws to come out of the rails so I glued a plastic support under each of the four corners to prevent the side angle brackets from coming out of the rails.

20. beavis

Gangster

Another Icy Box IB-168SK-B user here. I just wedged some of the packing material in there, seems to be holding up so far :)