Good idea ? good price?

Soldato
Two words.

Money. Pit.

Walk away m8, that's a nightmare waiting to get into your garage. I'm going by the pictures of the bike, the info available on it thus far and also what environment the bike looks to have been stood in for some time. For your first big bike purchase my advice would be to go and view a prospective purchase before buying. Leave the eBay impulse buying well alone IMO. There's always the chance you will pick up a veritable bargain but it's a slim chance - your more likely to get your fingers burnt.

Common things to watch for on GPZ600 Ninjas are as already mentioned previously plus forks seals, rattly top end which is usually the camchain tensioner, brake calipers and seized pistons, worn cush drives, warped discs, oil leaks from camshaft covers and electrical gremlins relating to the starter system and/or coils.

As already said, 16" wheels mean you are seriously limited to tyre choice. If you are really liking the sound of a Kwack middleweight then a ZZR like the one 4T5 linked to is an excellent purchase. Look for something like that, not an ancient wallet drainer with out of focus advert pictures. ;)

Soldato
With those new pictures, I'd just walk away now. Wouldn't either bother going to check it out. It looks in absolute rag order. God knows what's happening with the link pipe in that picture..

Soldato
OP
He text me saying he got the paper work for change of speedo at 30k and the 2nd one reading 50k and add the extra from riding.

I know your all saying walk away but I will go have a proper look so I can be 100%
You mite think I am silly but there's no harm in having a closer look.

Soldato
I think the harm will come is when your inexperience makes you not notice something which could cause problems once you've bought the thing. There are many many more examples out there in your price range, many of which will be in much better condition.

Did he say why he had to change the speedo? Because it may have been in a crash, and he's done the repairs himself?

Associate
Just walk away please!

Go buy that RF i posted so i don't buy it! (need a car but want another cheap bike lol)

As mentioned, pass your test first then buy a bike. Spend this time, until you pass, just drooling over bikes. Learn what bikes are in your price range and what common issues/joys there are once you get a wider and more clear view of the models you can get.

I have always liked the RF and think I might just get a bargain one in January as a winter hack and replacement for when I decide to strip and rebuild my ZRX 1100.

Oh and just so you know I have only been riding 4 months lol:eek: I am on my second bike and have got a choice of 5 maybe 6 bikes to choose from fo when I get the chance to buy another. I spent 2 months researching what bike I wanted and was on a limited budget but it was the guys here that helped me find my first big bike (Thanks Guys:D). Just thought a little bit of useless info might help you chill and get your thinking cap on.

Ps Get studying for your test Mr. :D

Soldato
OP
@Ghosteh

My mate is coming with me who knows what to look for, and I will ask the seller about the speedo.

@Brackish I do think now I have rushed into something but I am going to sleep on it and talk to my mate tomorrow about what to do.

Thank you guys for the advice.

Soldato
You've got to be 110% about your purchase when it comes to bikes. Don't get sucked in to the moment when you do see it in person. Sleep on it as you're doing, and try and get your mate to at least have a test ride, as there are a few problems that wouldn't really show up on just a visual inspection.

But as said, concentrate on your test first, get that smashed, and drool over bikes in the mean time! :p.

Good luck!

Soldato
Oh, and if it is a GPZ600R ZX600A which there's a very good chance it is as it is a 1985 model year, the perimeter frame is painted steel and not aluminium alloy. So check it carefully for corrosion especially around the headstock and engine frame rail area. The steel frames were notorious for bending if they were dropped at any reasonable speed or crashed. If the bike has been sat for a long time the carb diaphragms are liable to be shot and something I'd be concerned about is the possibility of rust in the fuel tank which will cause untold misery trying to get the thing to run correctly.

However, you appear to sound very keen to view it so all I'll say is best of luck and as others have said, don't get caught up in any excitement of buying your first big bike. Make sure you let your head rule your heart when you go and look at it and not the other way round. Let us know how you get on. :)

Soldato
Op, quick question, can you give us a run down of what you're looking for, and what your price range is? Also, how far are you willing to travel to pick up a bike? Makes this searching much easier :p.

Soldato
Quite a few ZX6's on Autotrader for under 1k, like this one. A far more modern and capable sportsbike compared to the old GPZ dinosaur.

If you could stretch up to say 1300 then your choice becomes much wider.

Soldato
OP
I will get my mate to look at what you have all said.

The sort of bike I am after is a 400-700cc sports, touring/sports like say the Africa twin type bike.
Cruiser type are a big no no lol, as I just sold my vl 125 and I don't wish to have another cruiser lol.

Max budget so far would be £700ish + bit extra if I was to buy now.

Thanks.

@Dogbreath if I don't get this bike then I am going to do my test first before anything else lol and build the budget to 1k+

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom