Good MB & RAM for 7800X3D?

Associate
OP
I'm honestly tempted by the Thermalright, in other news I will finally build my new rig after over 11 years by the end of March so expect more silly posts by someone who built a PC last time about 20 years ago...

Man of Honour
What a lot of people don't realise is that Thermalright is not some budget newcomer to the cooling market. They have been making high quality coolers for decades, much longer than Corsair and Noctua and I was using a Thermalright cooler way back in the AMD Socket A days. Their quality is easily as good as the massively more expensive brands and the price to performance is unbeatable. I have the Peerless Assassin SE120 ARGB and it's a cracking cooler. The fans on it are very good and it keeps my 12600 under 55 degrees C when gaming while using the silent cooling profile in the motherboards bios and I haven't heard the fans ramp up once, not even in the summer. There is no reason to suggest that the cooler won't last for many years. As Thermalright seems to not want to rip off their prospective customers and keep their prices low some would expect everything to be of a lesser quality but they would be wrong. The coolers are heavy lumps and finished to a very high standard as are the fittings which are easy to use. You also get a full tube of their very good TF7 thermal paste unlike other manufacturers that give you a small sachet or small tube with only enough paste for a single mount. If I was looking for a new cooler now I wouldn't hesitate to go for another Thermalright. The new price to performance king is the Phantom Spirit PS120 SE which has a extra heatpipe over the Peerless Assassin so cools a little better. The normal version is less than a quid more expensive than the Thermal Assassin but the ARGB version is actually cheaper so that would be my choice.

They also do AIO's which are also priced cheaper than their competitors yet perform very well indeed.

I read a review of the Frost Spirit on a AMD system and it actually performed worse than the PA120SE and the PS120SE and they reckoned it was down to the larger diameter heatpipes and their AMD cpu not chucking out enough heat to make the most of it. They thought that if they were using a Intel cpu it would have done better due to them running hotter.

Last edited:
Associate
I've just posted about my new upcoming build, one thing I'd say is to go for a mobo which has PCIe Gen. 5 across the board and not a mix of Gen. 4 / 5, will future proof you in the long run.

For RAM, depends on what you're wanting the PC for, if it's for mainly gaming with some basic office-based workload and some light editing I'd say 64gb is overkill, I'd go for 32gb DDR5 kit with a higher frequency:

I've decided to pair my 7800X3D with the following:
  • Mobo: Asus ROG Strix - B650E-E Gaming Wifi
  • RAM: Lexar Ares 32GB (2x16gb) DDR5 6400mhz - CL32 - You could scale down the 6000mhz kit if you'd rather - This also supports EXPO for AMD.
Also, are you settled on the 1000w power supply? I'm guessing that is already purchased? Seems overkill for the build, especially if you're looking at a 7800xt or an equivalant, you could save some money there and spend it elsewhere, witout delving into it too deep I would say an 850w or even a 750w would be more than capable in your build, but you'd have to check this, potentially run it through PC Partpicker for compatability / system wattage.
Hi @PhigBill , could i just double check you have this RAM with a 7800X3D and used EXPO on it with no problem? I've been looking at it for a while and getting conflicting information on various websites on wether it is EXPO compatible or not as even their own website focusses on the XMP side. I'm looking at this kit if it makes a difference - LD5EU016G-R6400GDLA.

Thanks!

Man of Honour
getting conflicting information on various websites on wether it is EXPO compatible or not as even their own website focusses on the XMP side
Review of the Ares 6000 on THG:

The default setting for the memory kit is DDR5-4800 with 40-39-39-77 timings. Lexar embedded one XMP 3.0 and one AMD EXPO profile for DDR5-6000 into each Ares memory module.

Associate
i think the 6000mhz or slower kits
I think the 6000MHz and slower kits have the EXPO profiles but the faster ones don't. There is a video from mike's unboxing youtube channel which is now 7 days titled - "LEXAR Ares ARGB DDR5 6400mhz RAM Best Value DDR5 RAM" and 30secs in the box cover clearly states XMP OC but no mention of EXPO profiles. There are other reviews and discussions online which suggest the same thing which is why i think the previous poster either made a mistake or i'm missing something. If it is a 6400MHz CL32 with an expo profile i would love to buy it but don't think that is the case.

Man of Honour
If it is a 6400MHz CL32 with an expo profile i would love to buy it but don't think that is the case.
Since running Ryzen @ 6200 and above was pretty dubious on release, it wouldn't surprise me. A CPU-Z screenshot (of the SPD tab) would confirm it one way or the other (CPU-Z screenshot for Crucial Pro, at the bottom here, which has both profiles).

Associate
i think the 6000mhz or slower kits

I think the 6000MHz and slower kits have the EXPO profiles but the faster ones don't. There is a video from mike's unboxing youtube channel which is now 7 days titled - "LEXAR Ares ARGB DDR5 6400mhz RAM Best Value DDR5 RAM" and 30secs in the box cover clearly states XMP OC but no mention of EXPO profiles. There are other reviews and discussions online which suggest the same thing which is why i think the previous poster either made a mistake or i'm missing something. If it is a 6400MHz CL32 with an expo profile i would love to buy it but don't think that is the case.
I'm currently away working in Angola with limited internet access, I also have no access to the system or parts, hence my delayed response, I'm home on Feb-01..... but no, I own the Ares 6400mhz-CL32 DDR5 kit, for reference and in relation to EXPO Lexar even state on their own website that the Ares DDR5 kits are both XMP & EXPO supported, it has ZERO reference to it only been applicable to certain speed kits, I quote:

Lexar® ARES RGB DDR5 Desktop Memory is compatible with the latest INTEL XMP 3.0 and AMD EXPO™. Enjoy blazing-fast overclocking speeds to elevate your gaming experience.

These DIMMS use hynix chips which are notably more stable, in the Mikes Unboxing he has noted that he ran this RAM on his AMD system, granted he did say he dropped the memory down to 6000mhz, but this will always be system dependent relating to memory controllers / bios etc, but the point he makes stands, the cost of this RAM is still coming in around the same as 6000mhz, so even if you have to run it at a reduced speed with tighter timings you'll still have that overhead available as and when stability increases with AM5.

Even the affiliate links that Mikes Unboxing is sharing state the 32gb DDR5 6400mhz kit is both XMP & EXPO in the "about this item" section, my guess would be that some of the adverts for these sticks are old data that ONLY show XMP 3.0 support, as I can see multiple adverts online for slower speeds which only state XMP 3.0, to include the retailer I purchased from.

Last edited:
Associate
I'm currently away working in Angola with limited internet access, I also have no access to the system or parts, hence my delayed response, I'm home on Feb-01..... but no, I own the Ares 6400mhz-CL32 DDR5 kit, for reference and in relation to EXPO Lexar even state on their own website that the Ares DDR5 kits are both XMP & EXPO supported, it has ZERO reference to it only been applicable to certain speed kits, I quote:

These DIMMS use hynix chips which are notably more stable, in the Mikes Unboxing he has noted that he ran this RAM on his AMD system, granted he did say he dropped the memory down to 6000mhz, but this will always be system dependent relating to memory controllers / bios etc, but the point he makes stands, the cost of this RAM is still coming in around the same as 6000mhz, so even if you have to run it at a reduced speed with tighter timings you'll still have that overhead available as and when stability increases with AM5.

Even the affiliate links that Mikes Unboxing is sharing state the 32gb DDR5 6400mhz kit is both XMP & EXPO in the "about this item" section, my guess would be that some of the adverts for these sticks are old data that ONLY show XMP 3.0 support, as I can see multiple adverts online for slower speeds which only state XMP 3.0, to include the retailer I purchased from.

Thanks PhigBill, appreciate the time taken to post whilst you are away!

If you have the sticks and they have a saved EXPO profile i'll take the punt and get them. If needed I can drop the speed manually and worst case they can always be returned but the big selling point is the Hynix A die as you have noted. Thanks again.

Associate

If you have the sticks and they have a saved EXPO profile i'll take the punt and get them. If needed I can drop the speed manually and worst case they can always be returned but the big selling point is the Hynix A die as you have noted. Thanks again.
You just have to keep in mind that with AM5 right now it's all a bit up in the air, I've heard of people on 6000mhz be up and running and working fine with no instability, but then one BIOS update later and it's all turned to $h!t..... Lots of variables to take into account, MOBO, Bios and DIMMs, all part of the fun though if you ask me.

Last edited:
Associate

How'd this work out for you in the end?

Associate
How'd this work out for you in the end?
Went for the Lexar 6400Mhz CL32 which are on their way, along with a new 7800X3d and expecting them to be delivered later next week. I've quick flashed the motherboard so hopefully it all should work out the box, but I've not got a graphics card as i'm waiting to see if the latest release drops the prices a bit. I should be able to play with the RAM regardless.

Associate
Went for the Lexar 6400Mhz CL32 which are on their way, along with a new 7800X3d and expecting them to be delivered later next week. I've quick flashed the motherboard so hopefully it all should work out the box, but I've not got a graphics card as i'm waiting to see if the latest release drops the prices a bit. I should be able to play with the RAM regardless.
Awesome man! I've just pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte Aorus 4080 Super Master, had a discount at a local store to use and it ended up the same price I was going to pay for the ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, so no-brainer really.

Associate
Awesome man! I've just pulled the trigger on a Gigabyte Aorus 4080 Super Master, had a discount at a local store to use and it ended up the same price I was going to pay for the ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, so no-brainer really.
oh nice hope you got a great deal, that sounds like an awesome setup. I was going to get a 7900XT but now leaning towards the 4070 TI Super, so let's see...

Associate
oh nice hope you got a great deal, that sounds like an awesome setup. I was going to get a 7900XT but now leaning towards the 4070 TI Super, so let's see...
Some good offers on the 7900XTX at the moment if you're not looking for a specific aesthetic etc, you can get the ASRock Phantom OC 7900XTX for like £850, a lot of card for the price.

Associate
I think that would be overkill for what i need as i'm only playing at 1440p / 165Hz and trying to keep within a budget, but it is hard not to push it a bit when you see good deals. I originally was going to get a 7800XT but that already passed that!

Associate
OP
If AMD doesn't announce anything shortly i'm going to build my setup next month... Are the MB and RAM kits you suggested also good for a 7950X3D?

Associate
I've just put together a new 7800X3D and thought it would be useful to post an update in case anyone is interested. So the bad news is that the Lexar 6400MHz CL32 RAM discussed above does not have any AMD EXPO profiles - i've checked in the BIOS and confirmed this in CPU-Z SPD as described in the above posts. I would post screenshorts but ocuk doesn't allow imgur and don't know any quick alternatives. For information the 4 timings it comes with are JEDEC #8, #9, #10 which look like some very safe speed/timings and the XMP-6400 profile.

On a positive note the system boots absolutely fine with the XMP profile enabled at 6400MHz CL32 but i've not done any stress tests so have absolutely no idea how stable it is. I've had no issues so far and if needed am confident that i can tweak timings.

If anyone is interested its a 7800X3D with a ASROCK B650 PG Lighting (latest non-beta BIOS) and the Lexar RAM discussed above.

Associate
I've just put together a new 7800X3D and thought it would be useful to post an update in case anyone is interested. So the bad news is that the Lexar 6400MHz CL32 RAM discussed above does not have any AMD EXPO profiles - i've checked in the BIOS and confirmed this in CPU-Z SPD as described in the above posts. I would post screenshorts but ocuk doesn't allow imgur and don't know any quick alternatives. For information the 4 timings it comes with are JEDEC #8, #9, #10 which look like some very safe speed/timings and the XMP-6400 profile.

On a positive note the system boots absolutely fine with the XMP profile enabled at 6400MHz CL32 but i've not done any stress tests so have absolutely no idea how stable it is. I've had no issues so far and if needed am confident that i can tweak timings.

If anyone is interested its a 7800X3D with a ASROCK B650 PG Lighting (latest non-beta BIOS) and the Lexar RAM discussed above.
Really weird, I wonder if it's only on certain DIMS as mine enabled in DOCP/EXPO in the ASUS Bio (B650E-E) without any issues and shows the correct speeds, very strange.

Back
Top Bottom