Good MB & RAM for 7800X3D?

Associate
Yeah i don't really know either and don't think it due to the age of the DIMS so maybe they only load EXPO profiles on some. I've got HWiNFO64 to get some additional details and it is showing them at having manufacting date year 2023, week37 and SK Hynix A-Die (4.1) so pretty sure they are not old stock.

I ran memtest5 with some recommended configs last night and had no issues so it all seems fairly stable so will take that. I've no idea if having intel certified timings aren't optimised for the processor but happy enough with the headline of 6400MHz at CL32 and won't bother tinkering with anything else. Thanks again but useful to know if anyone else is after more information.

Last edited:
Associate
Yeah i don't really know either and don't think it due to the age of the DIMS so maybe they only load EXPO profiles on some. I've got HWiNFO64 to get some additional details and it is showing them at having manufacting date year 2023, week37 and SK Hynix A-Die (4.1) so pretty sure they are not old stock.

I ran memtest5 with some recommended configs last night and had no issues so it all seems fairly stable so will take that. I've no idea if having intel certified timings aren't optimised for the processor but happy enough with the headline of 6400MHz at CL32 and won't bother tinkering with anything else. Thanks again but useful to know if anyone else is after more information.
Yeah, all good info and also a bit of a head scratcher, their own website clearly states they are EXPO compatible as well, I need to update my BIOs but doubt that will change anything, I'm running behind on the build as I had an issue with the AIO pump which has now been RMA'd and I'm waiting on a replacement, so had a quick boot-up to see if everything was OK and registering, to include setting the RAM profiles and DCOP/EXPO in the ASUS Bios and all that went fine, very strange from Lexar.

Associate
OP
Resurrecting this thread for an update, with a possible new configuration:

Case
Corsair iCUE 5000D Airflow

PSU
Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 80 PLUS Platinum ATX 3.0 PCIe 5.0

CPU
AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D

Cooling
DeepCool ASSASSIN IV

MB
Gigabyte B650E AORUS MASTER

Ram
Corsair Vengeance 64GB (2x32) DDR5 6000MHz CL40 XMP 3.0

GPU
Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7900 GRE

SSD
Seagate 2TB Barracuda NVME PCIe 4.0 x4

HDD
Seagate BarraCuda ST2000DM008 2TB Sata III 3,5" 7200rpm 256MB

This will cost me 2500€ with shipping & assembly.
Do you see anything that will cause trouble in this config?

Man of Honour
£400 on that motherboard is ridiculous you should look at the

Asus ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WIFI which will save you £130 or the Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIF which will save you £180 has 1 less m2 slot.​

Last edited:
Associate
OP
£400 on that motherboard is ridiculous you should look at the

Asus ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WIFI which will save you £130 or the Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming WIF which will save you £180 has 1 less m2 slot.​

Thank you, although I've heard bad things about ASUS MBs lately, is it a good model?

Man of Honour
Thank you, although I've heard bad things about ASUS MBs lately, is it a good model?
Both the E-E and the E-F are great pcie 5 motherboards with 4 and 3 m2 slots respectively and are very simmlar.

Unless the Gigabyte board gives you something you need then don't waste your money tfer are great boards around the £200 to £280 mark.

Read reviews is always wise and compare.

What's you main use ?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Both the E-E and the E-F are great pcie 5 motherboards with 4 and 3 m2 slots respectively and are very simmlar.

Unless the Gigabyte board gives you something you need then don't waste your money tfer are great boards around the £200 to £280 mark.

Read reviews is always wise and compare.

What's you main use ?
80% gaming, 20% machine learning (that's what the 64GB RAM is for)
Tom's Hardware gives it a good score but having informed opinions from actual users is always better imho.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Tom's Hardware gives it a good score but having informed opinions from actual users is always better imho.
Was thinking could you get away with the 7800x3d but mayb those extra cores on the 7950x3d mite be handy In learning.

There a mechanical hard drive I personally would change that to an SSD or m2 drive.

Associate
OP
Was thinking could you get away with the 7800x3d but mayb those extra cores on the 7950x3d mite be handy In learning.

There a mechanical hard drive I personally would change that to an SSD or m2 drive.
Yes, using gradient boosting the extra cores are handy, it definitely saves time.
There is a NVME SSD too, the HDD is there for backup of less important but bulky files.

Associate
OP
Thanks to the suggestions in this thread I managed to save about 150€ from my previous setup, any last minute suggestions?

Soldato
I read good reviews about it and X3D is not picky about RAM, am I wrong?

yes but im just going on the massive price tag.. you getting cheap ram speeds at high speed prices..

you can run 4x16gb sticks just buy from the QVL list and but 2 fast kits for under £180, or just pay £150 for a slower(just as fast) kit of 2x32

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Thank you for the tip!
Replaced RAM with the following:

RAM KINGSTON FURY BEAST DDR5 6000MHZ 64GB (2X32) EXPO CL36 NERO​

Slightly cheaper, lower latency and same speed.

Last edited:
Associate
I've got the b650e-e board.Work great, looks good, no complaints.. had a memory problem recently that required clearing the cmos and retraining memory, but found that out quickly as the board had a led error code display, so sorted quickly, once I remembered to look at it.
Bios one would hope is on a current version now, but check in hwinfo that the voltage to the cpu is below 1.3v..that was cause of some cpu's cooking. Mine is stable 1.24v after bios update. you can get 64gb 6000c30 corsair ram £222 now(ocuk don't sell it, or 6400c32 for £114 on offer.....these are non rgb kits...rgb is £229 and £253...6400 speed rgb not on offer)...don't know how much the kingston is, so just for a comparison

Associate
OP
I'm definitely getting that board, so far I ordered case, PSU and RAM as sellers here in Italy are getting silly with Paypal purchase limits.
Expect me asking for assembly advice pretty soon!

Associate
Are the Intel nics on am5 motherboards still a problem for some users? might need to factor in either a pcie nic or usb3 one unless you switch to a board with a realtek nic

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom