Good (out of the box) track oriented cars

Soldato
Come this time next year I may end up replacing the MINI with another track focused car. Problem is that I'm not entirely sure what I'd go for. The ideal (will see how business goes next year) replacement would obviously be a GT3 (997.2).

Excluding the above. What else is worth considering?

Soldato
OP
Running costs on the GT3 would be a challenge if you use it a lot, but they are the very best all around road/track/road trip car in my view. The M3 CSL still stands the test well or a nicely built E92 M3 track car, budget 45K to get something proper quick with proper set up, weight out and cage.

Lotus would be my choice over a Caterham, XBow's needs work to be right.

A friend of my had turned his E92 into a really good track / fast road car!

As I said though. I'd be looking for something out of the box... I dont really want to feel the need to mod the next car. Just maintain it.

Soldato
OP
The GP is a great car. On the road and even better on track. I also visit Lohen on a regular basis..... After looking at my invoices from them I think I go there way too often lol.

Anyway I like be this car to bits. However, at some point I would love to own something a little higher up the track oriented food chain.

With regards to requirements. It will need to be road legal... That's about it. Don't really care about practically.

Soldato
OP
Okay... It needs to have a roof.

The lotus suggestions do sound interesting. Never driven one. Sat in an old elise recent. And that was a bit of a tight fit.

Soldato
OP
Exige is still quite tight... but a bit more room than the Elise, from my recollection... been a while since I was in an Elise.

Budget will get you a really nice one.

I may look into them.

Also noticed the G40 was mentioned. I have had thoughts about this car in the past. Would love to try one of them!

Soldato
OP
Alpine A110? Imagine that would be a tidy "out the box" track car, Light, mid engined, 250bhp, rear wheel drive... Expensive though

Decent looking car... But not really track-orientated.

Civic type R FK8

Same as above. If I got something like this I'd definitely end up turning it into something track orientated.

Caterham with a free umbrella!

Great cars. I rented one for a while a few years back... This is more on the extreme end of what I'm looking for.... Think R26.R, Trophy R, Lotus, Ginetta G40, etc

Soldato
OP
Thinking sport 350. The reviews on it are pretty good. Believe I could definitely have fun with it.

Will be hard to give up the Mini. Perhaps I could have both lol.

Soldato
OP
Went to view my first Exige today -

Exige350

Exige350

Advert - https://www.lotuscars.com/preowned/vehicle/11697

The good news was that I was able fit.... Getting in and out was a different story :) . The not so good news was that I was unable to drive it - Rush hour traffic. The plan is to arrange a test next year.

Couple things that concerned me (only slightly) -

1. Not being able to adjust the steering column and
2. I felt as though I was sat a little too high.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Alfa Romeo 4C?

Very light and an all carbon fibre (fiber?) tub I think. Would give a lot of things a run for their money around the track.

Im sure it would. However it wouldn't be as focused as something like the Lotus (imo). And I could see myself wanting to mod the 4C.... The seats would need to go for starters as I want to be able to use harnesses.

Back
Top Bottom