Good (out of the box) track oriented cars

Associate
Aren't the early Exige's accruing value atm? a workmate has a k20 powered S1 Exige and thinks it's crept up in value over the last couple years. But, out of fear that the k20 might hurt the resale, he's picked up a spare stock engine to covert back if that retains more value...

A different workmate and I have recently finished a Mega S2000 build (Honda S2000's F20C engine in a Westfield) and so far we've only driven it on the road, but plan to track it next year (personally feel it needs a proper roll cage sometime tho). After realizing the limitations of such a small open-seater and feeling how non-aerodynamic and floaty the front end can get, tbh, it's arguably pushed my thoughts away from a similar car to something more like the Ginetta, Lotus Elise or back to a MX5. Sure, they might not seem as contrasting/different to the daily driver, but at least they can be parked at a supermarket, left outside overnight, or used in the rain, without too much concern… If the desire is something quirky then, tbh, I almost wonder if I’d prefer a Morgan (possibly even the 3 wheeler) over a super 7.

Soldato
Aren't the early Exige's accruing value atm? a workmate has a k20 powered S1 Exige and thinks it's crept up in value over the last couple years. But, out of fear that the k20 might hurt the resale, he's picked up a spare stock engine to covert back if that retains more value...

Probably worth more with the Honda engine tbh. There's a reason people take the Rover ones out.

Associate
K series is a cracking engine. Run a 300bhp+ 2000cc na in my hillclimb ep3. It'll end up in a westy-esq chassis in a couple of years.

Iirc there's a guy tracking one on YouTube, also have Andy forrests one on but turbo. Both drenth seq. Serious fun but 110% track only.

K20 S1 (although never having driven one) should be great pocket rockets on track and still drivable on the road. Pretty sure there was one up for sale the other week on race cars.

Not really an out of the box car but massive grin factor.

Man of Honour
Can't think of much past the Lotus range really.

Lotus 2-Eleven or 340R - Both quite minimal, 2-Eleven especially. 3-Eleven is better, but out of your budget. 340R is a cooler car though.
Evora S Sport Racer - If you want some conforts.
Exige S3 Sport 350 - Somewhat inbetween.

Man of Honour
Probably worth more with the Honda engine tbh. There's a reason people take the Rover ones out.

Really? All those RX7's with small block V8's are certainly not shooting up in value in line with standard RX7's

S1 Elise is rapidly heading towards classic car status, and they people who want classic cars want original ones, not hacked about ones.

Soldato
Really? All those RX7's with small block V8's are certainly not shooting up in value in line with standard RX7's

S1 Elise is rapidly heading towards classic car status, and they people who want classic cars want original ones, not hacked about ones.

Not many people want to buy RX-8s in the first place though. They are worth peanuts :p

A V8 swap probably actually will add value though. Because the stock engine was notoriously unreliable, like the K-series was.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not many people want to buy RX-8s in the first place though. They are worth peanuts :p

A V8 swap probably actually will add value though.
He's talking about RX-7s, the one that'll actually be a classic, not the RX-8 which will probably struggle to shake it's 'also ran' image.

A quick look on pistonheads and there's only one FD RX-7 under £10,000.

Soldato
He's talking about RX-7s, the one that'll actually be a classic, not the RX-8 which will probably struggle to shake it's 'also ran' image.

Oops oh yea. The RX-7 was a far more expensive and rare car though. It was a competitor to the 911 at the time.

With the Elise, Lotus themselves swapped to a Toyota engine later on. There is really nothing special about the engine in the Elise (the current one is the same engine as in a Toyota Auris). What will put people off is messing with the handling and bodywork.

Last edited:
Soldato
As someone who intends to buy an Exige in the near future, I vote - Exige. The S1's are nice, but the values have gone up to a point of stupidity (imo) in the last five years.

Soldato
OP
Thinking sport 350. The reviews on it are pretty good. Believe I could definitely have fun with it.

Will be hard to give up the Mini. Perhaps I could have both lol.

Man of Honour
Yeah plus no real known issues. Change the oil, lift bolts etc and it will perform for a long time. Maybe a morozo sump for track work and your golden.

I don't know... It is 20kg heavier than the K series. In an Elise, weight is everything. K has more torque than the 2zz-ge. Also, doesn't the oil pump in the 2zz-ge generally needs replacing if tracking the car hard?

Personally, S1 Exige with the 190bhp VHPD engine and track pack would do me nicely.

nas

nas

Associate
M2 Comp!! There will always be a handful of a “it’s just a 2 series” comments, but it’s always the case with most manufacturers that make mainstream cars for the wider audience.

Drive one.

Back
Top Bottom