Google Chrome or FireFox?

Man of Honour
Chrome for small and simple (although it's auto-update feature cannot be disabled without going in to msconfig etc), but Firefox (previous version, not the newer crappy one :p) is better IMO. Just laid out correctly!

Soldato
Chrome for small and simple (although it's auto-update feature cannot be disabled without going in to msconfig etc)

:D

Google update also embeds itself deep in the task scheduler, I found my windows machine waking from sleep at night and found the cause to be google :eek:

Talk about nasty

EDIT: Also note that chrome now runs in the background by default, hence giving the illusion of quick startup

Man of Honour
Random wake-ups aside, why would you want to disable the auto-update feature? Isn't it a good thing always to have the latest version?

Where I am at the moment we are limited to a certain amount of bandwidth per month, which equates to a certain amount per day. It's logged, and if we go over it eats into other people's allowances so you can end up being very very unpopular indeed!

All updates etc, and all images in my browser are turned off at the moment :p

Soldato
Ouch. You could use Opera as well as turning off images? I think the turbo feature reduces the bandwidth used by HTML files, etc, as well.

Caporegime
Well, I don't think you really need to go into detail about which one the OP wants. It really is simple, he wants something simple, just the basics and by the sounds of things something easy to use and that is without a doubt chrome....

And before people shout GOOGLE FANBOY from the rooftops, I mainly use firefox ;) :p

Firefox:

+ Much better page rendering than chrome, renders the page as whole as opposed to rendering whilst loading the data on chrome, so the page isn't render as a "whole"
+ Without a doubt, much better addon system, and a lot more user styles actually work properly on FF
+ A heck of a lot smoother when scrolling especially in the high res screenshot thread
+ loads image intensive etc. pages much quicker than what chrome does
+ Fully customizable
+ Uses a lot less RAM for me (yet I have loads more addons, user styles installed on FF than chrome)
+ Text is easier to read and looks smoother
+ Remembers where I left off on web pages, so means I don't have to scroll all the way down looking for the last post that I read
+ much better for bookmarks, can add separators, which is essential if you have loads of bookmarks and like to keep thing tidy and organized

- Overall UI isn't as smooth as chrome and from time to time has the occasional lag

Chrome:

+ Neater/tidier UI for the options/tools/extensions and overall IMO a slightly better UI than FF (you can get a theme that looks just like chrome for FF though)
+ Faster at loading just text based pages, like this thread
+ Better built in download manager and integrates into the same window (although there is an addon for firefox that does the same and is more customizable)
+ Chrome gets some google features and experimental stuff first, which other browsers don't get

- Not smooth at all when scrolling (even with GPU stuff enabled in about:flags) especially in the high res screenshots thread
- can't customize the look at all really apart from themes that just change the colouring
- Doesn't remember where you left of when reading a post on threads etc. once chrome is closed and relaunched again, it reloads the page and puts you back at the top
- will show the stock look of a web page first and then switch to the user style installed quickly e.g. for this forum, if you have a black theme installed, when loading a new thread etc. the blue old look will show for a split second then switch to the black style, rather annoying that

Probably some stuff I missed, but that is from my usage with both regularly, I used chrome for the last few days as I really want it to be my main browser again but all the negatives are just too annoying for me and the firefox positives by far outweigh the positives of chrome for me!

Soldato
Even though I'm a strong Firefox supporter (Even got a portable version on USB to use in university), I think Chrome would be more suited for OP's needs. It's quick, simple and snappy. I notice some things loads a tad slower in Firefox however the quality of rendering is much higher. Some things in Chrome such as large fonts looks a bit too pixelly for my liking.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
Firefox=Safe Opera=Fast Chrome=A Bit Of Both

Firefox will start Java without asking for permission where as Chrome will always ask unless told otherwise. Not to mention the built-in PDF reader and Flash patching. Go Chrome if you want security. :)

Man of Honour
I have an SSD. Both browsers load from cold just as fast, both load websites just as fast.

Firefox has more power, more customisation and better extensions, which make or break a browser, so I use FF as the main browser.

Soldato
I prefer Chrome. I used to prefer Opera and I still have it installed on my systems along with IE 9 and FF. Chrome with a few nicely chosen extensions such as Speed Dial, Tabs to the Front, Visual Tabs and Adblock really does run a treat. The only thing that irks me about Chrome is the back button sometimes having a mind of its own. Been a problem for aeons which the devs have never really cleared up 100%.

Soldato
Firefox will start Java without asking for permission where as Chrome will always ask unless told otherwise. Not to mention the built-in PDF reader and Flash patching. Go Chrome if you want security. :)

I dont like the integrated pdf and flash, let alone the silent updating.

Unfourtunatly all these things are going to come to Firefox as well.... so Chrome must be doing something right.

Caporegime
I don't mind the integrated flash and PDF.

However I hate the silent updating for add ons and chrome itself, I want to be notified when there is an update and what to do with a change log provided, thankfully there is an addon for chrome called chrome update notifier that shows you when an addon or chrome has updated providing a link to the changelog.

At least from what I have heard FF, will let you enable or disable silent updating.

Back
Top Bottom