Google Chrome or FireFox?

Soldato
I don't see any one browser as being "better" than the other but I do have a preference for Firefox due to the excellent extensions. If they were available for Chrome I might use that more often, then again as FF does everything I need I would probably just stick with that.
Opera - I keep going back now and again to try that out, with the latest alpha 12 builds. Unfortunately I can still have some rendering problems and quirkiness. Even though they have extensions of a sort Firefox is still head and shoulders above Opera.

Using a SSD drive I do not notice and one browser being faster than another so I'm not really sure what people mean when they express that opinion. Unless you have a slow system and then I have found that a vanilla Chrome is pretty good. My brother has a really old PC and Chrome does seem to make a difference for him.

Associate
Chrome or IE9 if you like it fast and simple.

Firefox if you like your addons.

This sums it up.

I used to love the customisation of Firefox and the addons are still far better than Chrome extensions. But I feel that despite patch notes and version numbers claiming Firefox is getting faster it seems to chug along more than ever and freezes up more and more as the version numbers get higher...

Soldato
I have an SSD. Both browsers load from cold just as fast, both load websites just as fast.

Firefox has more power, more customisation and better extensions, which make or break a browser, so I use FF as the main browser.

This, although Chrome is IME faster on low end hardware. Although IMO the OP should just try them both out.

KIA

KIA

Man of Honour
I dont like the integrated pdf and flash, let alone the silent updating.

Unfourtunatly all these things are going to come to Firefox as well.... so Chrome must be doing something right.

Why not? 99.9% of people aren't capable of patching their own software.

However I hate the silent updating for add ons and chrome itself, I want to be notified when there is an update and what to do with a change log provided, thankfully there is an addon for chrome called chrome update notifier that shows you when an addon or chrome has updated providing a link to the changelog.

http://feeds.feedburner.com/GoogleChromeReleases?format=xml is a nice feed.

Soldato
I have Chrome, Firefox, Safari and IE9 installed, and I use all of them, Firefox most of the time though. Sometimes Firefox dislikes a website, and recently Hotmail only seems to get on with IE9 lol

I used to love the customisation of Firefox and the addons are still far better

Except, zero stuff works on the Firefox Betas, none of the addons work lol

Soldato
I find the Keefox extension for Firefox (to enable the Keepass integration) is so much better than the Chrome one. There doesn't seem to be an Opera type plugin.

Caporegime
But I feel that despite patch notes and version numbers claiming Firefox is getting faster it seems to chug along more than ever and freezes up more and more as the version numbers get higher...

Complete opposite for me, every update always feel a bit more snappier I find, I absolutely hated FF before V4, but ever since that whole new version came out, with each update, I find that it is just getting better each time! :D

Maybe a bad add-on you have installed?

Thanks! :)

Installed speed dial 2 for chrome yesterday and I love it! Much better than firefox speed dial version! Hopefully something similar is released for FF soon....

Soldato
I use Chrome as it is just miles quicker than when i use FireFox. I have no idea why but pages load quicker on Chrome and it is noticeable.

Might just be me :D

Soldato
This sums it up.

I used to love the customisation of Firefox and the addons are still far better than Chrome extensions. But I feel that despite patch notes and version numbers claiming Firefox is getting faster it seems to chug along more than ever and freezes up more and more as the version numbers get higher...

Well I remember having this argument with (I believe it was) mrk a few months back. Generally I believe we accepted that FF is the way to go if you want extensive and comprehensive customisation through addons.
If you don't care about that, then it comes down to Chrome or IE9.

Personally I quite like IE9 but if I was forced to use Chrome it wouldn't bother me at all. If I was forced to use FF I don't think it'd bother me either, but the first thing i'd do is install addon(s) to maximise speed from it.

I have to admit though, one of the things that bothers me way more than it should is when someone has FF installed "cos IE is evil, innit". This seemed to be all the fad 5 years ago amongst my friends and I just wish people would pick a browser because they like it and not because the media tell them to.

Soldato
I've been using Firefox since they released v1.5, but lately I've been having problems not only with it crashing at least once a week, but also with it eating up a ton of RAM by the end of the workday.

If I'm honest, I'd probably be using Chrome myself if I didn't rely so heavily on some of the web development plugins available for FF, such as Firebug.

Soldato
For the first time pretty much ever, all the browsers are viable choices. It simply comes down to, as I said above, what you want from a browser.

Back
Top Bottom