Google-Motorola "X Phone" in the 2013 pipeline?

Caporegime
How do you know that the xz has a better camera? :p We haven't seen any photos/videos from the moto X at all yet (apart from one photo) :p

If the camera hardware is true, then the moto X could have a better camera, at least in a few conditions anyway i.e. moving/action shots and low light etc. (Sony were originally going to use the supposed camera hardware setup for their XZ but didn't due to not being able to mass produce it quickly enough iirc)

Screen is also debatable as many people here would much rather have a SAMOLED screen (not confirmed yet, but chances of it are pretty high) over Sony's LCD screen, especially when the viewing angles aren't great on it and not quite saturated/vivid enough for a few people and then you have the other advantages of SAMOLED i.e. blacks, infinite contrast ratio etc. IMO those advantages of SAMOLED out weigh the advantage of the sharper/bigger screen of the XZ, well for me anyway :p

It all comes down to the price though, if moto can't "beat" the competition, only match them, however they price it about £100-200 cheaper then they have done a great job and have a winner of a device in my eyes.

Soldato
I'm really excited for this phone, I really hope that Google make it available in the UK, a 32GB version would be nice. Defo be buying one of these if it ships to the UK.

Soldato
The point behind this phone seems to be to sell it at a mid range price and use software to differentiate. If you want a V8 and NOS get an SGS4. No one can tell how good this will be yet because we haven't seen it in action.

Soldato
The price is the main selling point of this phone and all the customisations that are available with it. If Moto can keep the price down (with customisations) then they're onto a winner.

So what if it has mediocre specs and is average, as long as it does the job. Both HTC and Samsung have shown that a phone can run on dual core chips and still keep up with current flagships. This isn't a flagship phone and people need to get that idea into their head, Moto aren't out to compete with the likes of the HTC One or S4.

Associate
Soldato
just disappoints me, it might run smooth and work well as a phone, but i thought they wanted to make a statement? who wants a average phone when most lock themselves into a 2 year deal, disappointing if true.

Soldato
There's more then one way to make a statement... I'm pretty sure the price and new features being promised will make some kind of statement.

I just wish people would withhold judgement of devices until at least the official unveiling of a device, or even better after a few reviews.

What if the rumoured new tech in the camera ended up giving much improved images over both the S4 and One?
What if the new voice command features ended up being massively convenient and widely praised?
How about if Motorola show off a whole string of really fantastic and creative features?
What if the phone has the longest battery life of any smartphone?

So many what ifs, yet people judge by a single paragraph of specs which honestly don't mean much.

Soldato
I thought the idea behind Google's 'phones' was 2 fold, 1 for developers/hardcore android purists and 2 to change the way mobile phones are sold in the USA, in essence they want to make the phone companies into "a dumb pipeline" and google is the supplier of the hardware to use on it (data is their business after all), just look at the nexus 4 being 'at cost'.

Hopefully this will follow suit and be 'at cost' and give us another relative bargain even if it's at the budget end.

IIRC Google is supposedly focusing some resources on lower hardware requirements in the next version (might be 4.3, might be klp) to likely target places like india etc where cheap phones are more affordable. This might be part of this focus and aimed at that sort of target market.

Soldato
who wants a average phone when most lock themselves into a 2 year deal, disappointing if true.

Two year deal, but it's not going to be £30+ a month on average after the initial demand has settled (or it better not be).

This should be a challenger to the Nexus 4. It's not a standout in anyway, but it ticks all of the boxes very, very nicely and at a very reasonable price. It's not a flagship phone, but it should form a solid foundation for Moto to build on.

That said, given the initial rumours that came around lots of months back, when Google were supposed to be more heavily involved than they appear to be now, I too am disappointed that we didn't have another option at the top end... but maybe that's not a bad thing... the HTC One has set the benchmark in many ways, and I expect the next round of phones next spring to follow it (quality front-facing stereo speakers, the solid build, the sensible (from a technical standpoint) approach to camera tech). So long as companies can swallow a little pride, 2014 should be an awesome year for the smartphone.

Last edited:
Associate
Right now this is sounding a bit like a Nexus 4+. Near-stock Android, slightly outdated hardware and 16GB with no SD Card (?). Improvements are possibly camera and battery.

If this were around the same price of the Nexus 4 (like £320 maximum), then it could be fairly decent to those looking to side-upgrade and fix some of the Nexus 4's problems.

I'd rather they have just gone all out and given us Snapdragon 600/800, front facing speakers, the apparently new camera tech (if it actually works) and the same big battery than this half baked thing though. It does seem odd to have so much hype surrounding this seemingly mid tier device.

Back
Top Bottom