Google Pixel 5

What is better in 12 over 11?

The clock if I click it from the notifications it takes to my alarms etc

The notifications bar when I swipe down once, I have 6 quick icons, on 12 there's just 4 long bars taking up space for no benefit

Hold power button I get my home control. On 12 I have to swipe down, then click home control, and that's only if you now use home control as one of the 4 spaces.

The time on the always on screen is not broken up with hours then below minutes

11 graphics are far less chunky then 12.

What benefit is there in 12? I think the call screening is a 12 thing?

Anything else? Sell it to me.

Soldato
The general unified look of it all is what does it for me. No longer looks like a complete mess of randomness and now looks and behaves like a proper matured OS.
You raise fair points on the notification toggles - it would have been nice to at least have the option to stick with the smaller buttons its not something I feel is a showstopper in any way.
No idea what you mean by 12 graphics being chunky.

Soldato
As a designer I appreciate the improvements in the overall coherency of the operating system, but I'm frustrated at the strange decisions they've made like the new 'Internet' toggle - and the toggles in general to be honest. If we get grid options on the launcher, why not a grid option on the toggles panel? I feel quite strongly that Android should not be iOS, and whilst design should play a strong role Android has always been about options (in contrast to iOS).

Soldato
So I decided to force 90hz mode for a few days and it absolutely killed my battery. I did notice a little bit of improvement in the way the phone felt but I have gone back to adaptive display now and the phone is much better on battery life.

Going back to 60hz is such a killer when I use my daughter's phone. Now I'm craving 120hz!

On another note. My eye has wondered to other devices, even the iPhone 13 - But the fact that the Pixel comes with unlimited high quality photo backup is such a killer for me.

Such a shame how it went from unlimited full quality, then down to high quality, and now nothing at all for being a Pixel 6 owner, such a shame.

Associate
So I decided to force 90hz mode for a few days and it absolutely killed my battery. I did notice a little bit of improvement in the way the phone felt but I have gone back to adaptive display now and the phone is much better on battery life.

Going back to 60hz is such a killer when I use my daughter's phone. Now I'm craving 120hz!

On another note. My eye has wondered to other devices, even the iPhone 13 - But the fact that the Pixel comes with unlimited high quality photo backup is such a killer for me.

Such a shame how it went from unlimited full quality, then down to high quality, and now nothing at all for being a Pixel 6 owner, such a shame.

I imagine the amount of data google has to store costs a fortune I wouldn't be surprised if they're popping up data centres weekly to store it

Anyone know if p5 can have a virtual sim on top of the regular one? Wanting 2 numbers

Looking like you can, however I realise now the issue is I was actually thinking the second would be for WhatsApp so I have 2 accounts, one for work and one for personal on the same phone.

I doubt this is possible with esim? Do androids still have user accounts?

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone had any issues with Text messages in their car? Its suddenly not working properly for me
If I use full link (Cable) its fine.
If I connect via Bluetooth, which is most of the time, the car seems to "select" which text messages it will receive and display in the cars inbox, and randomly excludes some.
Not exactly sure when it stopped working. All calling features etc still work perfectly.

I am suspecting it may be due to the "Advanced messaging features" on Android, as the texts that the car will accept are from non phone users. I.e. PSN store, Amazon etc.

Restarted phone, forget and restore all connections etc. but behavior is still the same.
Car is a 2019 Seat Leon.

Soldato
Anyone know if p5 can have a virtual sim on top of the regular one? Wanting 2 numbers

Looking like you can, however I realise now the issue is I was actually thinking the second would be for WhatsApp so I have 2 accounts, one for work and one for personal on the same phone.

I doubt this is possible with esim? Do androids still have user accounts?

Dual SIM is possible. Multiple WhatsApp accounts however is a different situation and does not depend on what SIM is in the phone. The WhatsApp account is registered to the number, not the SIM. Pixels themselves don't support dual apps but you can create another user on the phone via Settings -> System -> Multiple users, and then install WhatsApp on the other profile.

Anyone had any issues with Text messages in their car? Its suddenly not working properly for me
If I use full link (Cable) its fine.
If I connect via Bluetooth, which is most of the time, the car seems to "select" which text messages it will receive and display in the cars inbox, and randomly excludes some.
Not exactly sure when it stopped working. All calling features etc still work perfectly.

I am suspecting it may be due to the "Advanced messaging features" on Android, as the texts that the car will accept are from non phone users. I.e. PSN store, Amazon etc.

Restarted phone, forget and restore all connections etc. but behavior is still the same.
Car is a 2019 Seat Leon.

By any chance, are the messages not getting through RCS? The car may not support it, so turning off Chat Features in the message app should work.

Associate
By any chance, are the messages not getting through RCS? The car may not support it, so turning off Chat Features in the message app should work.

Thank you. Having just done some tests, this would appear to be the case.
The chat features are not important to me, so I will turn them off.

Associate
Just tested some more with work collegues..

This has also coincided with me starting to leave my Data ON all of the time. I used to get into the habit of turning it off when not needed (Battery life etc.)
With Wifi at work, Data was previously always off as not needed, so when I got in the car to go home, texts would arrive via SMS without issue, as no data connection was available.
By leaving my data on, it seems I am "forcing" the chat features which my car clearly does not like.

So at least I have a few options. Turn off Data when in the car, Connect cable and use Android Auto, or disable chat features.

Next time car has a service, I will see if there is an update for the infotainment system.

Appreciate the help.

Soldato
Well I am back, just switched back to my pixel 5 after having a pixel 6. Gotta say I just missed the form factor and lightness of the P5, especially since I got into running over the last year.

Had to talk my Mrs around to have me back my p5 :D

Good decision. My partner has the p6 and I don't see any benefit over my p5, but a few downsides.

I hope they bring out phones of this p5 style still, even if it's their A range, I just want a no thrills, simple phone that has some what latest hardware, though I'm still at least another year off from wanting an upgrade if not longer.

Associate
Currently using an iPhone 13 Pro and its 'ok'. Been using iphones since I sold my Google Nexus 4, so a fair while!. However its all a bit samey, when i upgraded from the iPhone x to the 13 Pro , it looked and felt the same.

I'm not a mobile gamer (Words with friends doe not count!) and not a big photographer.

I have been offered a mint, boxed Pixel 5 for £200 (Daughters B/F has just got the S22 and Sky offered him £200 trade in so said i could have it for the same)

Is it still worth picking one up at that price as i fancy a change and everything i have read points to the fact that the 5 is still a very capable phone, not too big (About the same size as the 13) ans should do everything i need.

If I do 'go for it' what is the launcher of choice these days - I used to use Nova Launcher, or is the stock android launcher good enough these days?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
My wife still loves her P5, I very much enjoyed it too. At that price I would grab it and use it for a few weeks then decide if you want to move the iPhone on.

Nova launcher is good, personally I use the stock launcher as I don’t need any of the added features of a different launcher.

Soldato
Currently using an iPhone 13 Pro and its 'ok'. Been using iphones since I sold my Google Nexus 4, so a fair while!. However its all a bit samey, when i upgraded from the iPhone x to the 13 Pro , it looked and felt the same.

I'm not a mobile gamer (Words with friends doe not count!) and not a big photographer.

I have been offered a mint, boxed Pixel 5 for £200 (Daughters B/F has just got the S22 and Sky offered him £200 trade in so said i could have it for the same)

Is it still worth picking one up at that price as i fancy a change and everything i have read points to the fact that the 5 is still a very capable phone, not too big (About the same size as the 13) ans should do everything i need.

If I do 'go for it' what is the launcher of choice these days - I used to use Nova Launcher, or is the stock android launcher good enough these days?

i love the 5, but the iphone13 is gonna be better at a lot of things tbh

Back
Top Bottom