Google Pixel 5

V_R

V_R

Soldato
Yeah the 4XL does feel big in the pocket. Quiet tempted by the smaller 5 tbh.

I've just noticed that the top speaker on my new 4XL has gone bad too, just like the one it replaced. Starting to think it was/is a software thing now.... :/

Soldato
Anyone with a Google One 2TB sub ordered one of these yet? Did you get the 10% store credit back?

My brother pays and I'm on the family aspect of it. I don't know how I would know if we got anything back?

**EDIT** Slightly off topic, but with a 5G capable phone incoming, do EE have a half decent SIM only 5G plan? I think I currently pay £25 for unlimited Data.

Soldato
Super tempted by the 5 now my contract has ended on my 3XL but I think I'm gonna hold fire for a while and see what the reviews are like. My 3XL is still perfect for my use, a larger battery would be massively helpful though.

Feel a bit burned still after the prices dropped on Black Friday when the 3 came out so I'm gonna hold out for a bit and see what deals are about.

Associate
yeah as of right now the new chrome cast looks like a complete turkey if you live in the uk.

I contacted the BBC and they confirmed there won't be an app on launch.

I cancelled my pre order-maybe when they have all the apps on there I'll give it another shot.

Back to the trusty Apple TV it is.

Associate
Has anyone had the official pixel cases from google before with previous phones? Quite like the look of them but always had spigen cases as I trust them from experience saving my phone many many times over the years.

Just wondering if the google cases are more fashion than function?

Yes had mine for 2 years on my 2xl. Best case I've ever had. It's looking a bit worn now but I still really like it. Feels great in the hand and looks nice, decent protection too. I would definitely get another.

Associate
Speed of the camera is fast, but I feel older, fast-processor Pixels have launched the app quicker

This comment from the XDA Dev impressions worries me.

I don't mind it not being the latest and fastest processor but if the Camera is slower than my Pixel 3XL then that is not good!

Dup

Dup

Soldato
"I feel". Doesn't sound very scientific. From what ibe read the CPU side in many ways is more modern and efficient, the main drawback is the gpu side.

My 3XL is smashed and occasionally slows down then typing for reasons unknown. I'd be happy to hang on to it but contract runs out soon so may as well get the headphones deal and save some money with a sim only deal and phone purchased outright.

Soldato
Just pre-ordered one of these as I’m a bit fed up with my iPhone keep cutting off. Comes with some nice Bose headphones too. Seems a great deal tbh. Not had an Android phone in years so might take some getting used too...

Associate
My brother pays and I'm on the family aspect of it. I don't know how I would know if we got anything back?

**EDIT** Slightly off topic, but with a 5G capable phone incoming, do EE have a half decent SIM only 5G plan? I think I currently pay £25 for unlimited Data.

3 do unlimited everything £20 & 5g is part of the package, no need for a special 5G sim card.

Soldato
I actually went onto EE website and basically got the same as I have now (unlimited for £25), but with 5G (and 6 months of Britbox) thrown in. As you say, I'm assuming they don't need to send a new SIM, just switch me on so to speak.

jWUcQKB.png

It looks like I live in about the only part of London that doesn't have 5G....

Mind you, when I'm at home is the one time I wont need it I guess :)

Associate
I find the new pixel phones disappointing. I'm still using a pixel 2 xl, which has a slight crack in the screen but otherwise works fine.

If anything I would be happy to go up in size, definitely not down.
And I don't want to pay £600 for mid range specs which I could get for half the price on a 2 year old phone ...

I honestly don't understand why people think this is worth considering.

Back to riding out another year...

Associate
Because you can look at it as a £430-£470 phone, once you sell on (or make use of, I guess) the headphones. At that price, it's probably the best you will get. You almost certainly wont get a camera this good for this money elsewhere.
Aren't they pretty much the same camera as previous pixel phones apart from the additional camera being ultrawide instead of telephoto? Most improvements are software related so will probably be on older phones too.

The pixel 3 and even XL are still much cheaper, even if you sold the bundled headphones.

I just don't see the 5 as an upgrade if you own a pixel 2 onwards or a relatively recent high end phone.

Fair enough if you don't own a phone released in the past 3 years and you want to spend a bit more for a smaller punch hole.

EDIT
Reading some non XL comparisons you're getting a slightly bigger and better quality screen. Also a bigger battery.

Last edited:
Soldato
I don't see it from your view. I had the pixel2 XL and my Mrs has it now. It feels very slow compared to the 3xl and the 4xl I have now.

Trust me the 4 or 5 will be a big upgrade to what you have in day to day use.

Back
Top Bottom