Google Pixel 5

Associate
Law of averages says not, but this is Google

This is the budget model. I expect its a wide and a zoom, no ultra wide.

And if I'm right it will show Google haven't got a scooby.

Quite. If they are that stupid though, then it's getting crossed off the list. I know multiple lenses aren't the be-all but not having an UWA and a telephoto in 2020 would be unforgivable, especially as I no longer subscribe to the belief that Pixels are automatically miles ahead of the opposition for their photography ability nowadays.

Soldato
It was a particularly misguided decision on Pixel 4 seeing how they already had the "Super Res Zoom" that worked surprisingly well on Pixel 3.

You can always zoom in digitally but making something wider isn't possible.

Even if they go midrange, it would still be silly not have the lens trifecta with UWA and telephoto. Only the very budget options nowadays seem to lack that.

Man of Honour
With computational image processing, Google could own the ultra-wide camera quality department as on all other flagships the UWA lens isn't as robust for dynamic range or sharpness compared to the main camera. Google could use the data from the main sensor in conjunction with UWA to build a pristine ultra-wide image on the fly.

If they do have a UWA on Pixel 5 then I'd bet this is the direction things will go.

But this is Google.....

Soldato
Google just don't know what they're doing with hardware and i'm just not interested to wait to see what the Pixel 5 brings. We KNOW hardware spec wise it will be behind the competition.

Associate
I gave up on the pixels even though my entire ecosystem is Google. Good software always being let down by the hardware. Most phones now come with at least 8gb ram as standard and Google will still release a phone with 6gb ram!

Soldato
I think I’m giving up this year too especially if the no XL rumours are true. I’ve already started to move my app subscriptions across to Apple as I’m looking to switch back to iOS now.

Associate
I sat out the last 2 rounds, still using my trusty Pixel 2 but its going to fall off the bottom of the software support list soon so feel like the Pixel 5 may well be my next phone. Crazy really, the 2 still does everything I want it to do, camera is still spot on. I just hope the Pixel 5 battery is reasonable, that's what put me off getting the Pixel 4. I'm not bothered if the 5 is not quite the top spec out there, I just want good screen, decent battery, good camera and 5G for the future, perhaps the 4A(5G) might even do me.

Associate
I sat out the last 2 rounds, still using my trusty Pixel 2 but its going to fall off the bottom of the software support list soon so feel like the Pixel 5 may well be my next phone. Crazy really, the 2 still does everything I want it to do, camera is still spot on. I just hope the Pixel 5 battery is reasonable, that's what put me off getting the Pixel 4. I'm not bothered if the 5 is not quite the top spec out there, I just want good screen, decent battery, good camera and 5G for the future, perhaps the 4A(5G) might even do me.

Same situation here really. It’s done me well, and continues to do me well, but they are showing their age now, I’m already getting an itchy trigger finger, I would consider the Pixel 5 of some variant, but if it doesn’t have an UWA and telephoto lens, then it’s out for me. Amusingly on reddit someone got really upset by that condition. However it is what it is. Even then, the OP8Pro is looking mighty tempting, despite reservations about using Chinese products.

Associate
Same position as the last two posters. I have a pixel 2 that is getting pretty tired. It has ticked every box for me (the camera especially) apart from the battery life, which has been a nightmare at times. I just want an updated pixel 2 with a battery that will last a full day of actual use.

Soldato
also still using my pixel 2. Used everyday for 2.5 years, dropped several hundred times and took thousands of good photos. The issues are it looks dated and battery is on its last leg.

considering i always bought the phones with fastest/latest processors i think ive realised now how unnecessary it is. i really have no use for that processing power.

having tried both extremes of an iphone 11 and a cheap Chinese mid ranger then if they can release a mid range pixel sometime soon i will more than likely buy it. Was ready to buy the 4a in april to be fair !

Associate
:D:D:D:D:D

Oh I've gone full bareback. If you're gonna do it, do it right.

I've got google homes listening to my every word, it knows where I live, where I work, where I park my car.....I'm even thinking of getting a nest camera just to finish it off

I'm with you, I love how google tracks me :D

I think the whole ecosystem works really well. I even have google maps tracking where I go which is handy as it logs when I enter work for my timekeeping, and also lets me know how long I've been driving or where I've been - handy if you wish to go back and remember where you were at a certain point; then I have google fit logging how long I run, bike etc :D

You can either be paranoid of it or embrace the usefulness of it!

Google just don't know what they're doing with hardware and i'm just not interested to wait to see what the Pixel 5 brings. We KNOW hardware spec wise it will be behind the competition.

I'm not looking for a pixel for the hardware, or the speed of one at least. My budget A70 was enough power for me, all I want from an upgrade is a good battery, screen and camera which I'm hoping the pixel fulfills. I don't need the fastest processor to date

Back
Top Bottom