Google Pixel 6/6 Pro

Soldato
I said a few days ago that I didn't think Google had the brand recognition to sell a £1000 phone yet but there's also the resale value to consider. Even with 5 years of updates, a new SoC and a potentially better camera, will a Pixel 6 be desirable next year or the year after? Spend £1000 on a Pixel this year, it'll be worth £5-600 or less next year and half that again the year after.

That's the same with any phone. Just buy what you need, and keep it until those needs are no longer met.

Associate
Historically pixel phones come down in price after a couple of months because they don't sell the numbers of a Apple or Samsung device. So should be able to pick one up at a decent prices in a few months after launch.

Soldato
They do indeed, and hats off to them for creating that environment, rightly or wrongly they do hold there value far longer than most. The galaxy S and note do a good job, the naming convention helps with the process
One of the reasons I went back to iPhone after 5 years on android phones. I looked at selling my pixel 4 and it was worth buttons after 18 months.

Soldato
Not true. iPhones hold their value for substantially longer.

Yes, that's true but he said spend £1,000 on a phone and lose £500-£600 a year later. That's not a million miles away from an iPhone. The fact is, phones lose money....some less than other granted. It's just the way things work.

iPhone 11 Pro £1,049 - £460 (Sept 2019) Lost 56%
Pixel 4 (Oct 2019) £669 - £180 Lost 73%

Pixels though lose a hell of a lot in the first two months. I've said a few times during the last three pixels launches not to buy in October. It's always the same. Nov/Dec see big price drops. If you do buy around black friday time, you see a lot less of a drop in the first year, but still a massive drop.

What I'm trying to say is, it shouldn't matter if you buy a phone based on your requirements and only change when those requirements are no longer met.

Caporegime
Another thing to consider with the 5 years of updates is the battery. I'm not up to date with battery tech but I can't remember reading about anyone managing to stop their battery degrading over time so will it even be usable for 5 years?

Soldato
Another thing to consider with the 5 years of updates is the battery. I'm not up to date with battery tech but I can't remember reading about anyone managing to stop their battery degrading over time so will it even be usable for 5 years?

An update for the Pixel 5 introduced adaptive charging which slows down the charging rate during night. My previous Sony had a similar feature and battery life was still very good after a couple of years. Of course 5 years will be different though...

Soldato
iPhone 11 Pro £1,049 - £460 (Sept 2019) Lost 56%
Pixel 4 (Oct 2019) £669 - £180 Lost 73%

That is truly awful depreciation on the Pixel and if you're the sort of person who upgrades regularly, a 73% kick in the nadgers is a significant expense to deal with. The Pixel 4XL is currently worth even less - £150!

Soldato
One of the reasons I went back to iPhone after 5 years on android phones. I looked at selling my pixel 4 and it was worth buttons after 18 months.

I always give mine away, so not enough to make me want to switch. I have a work iPhone. They are good, but all the same hey. Zero customisation which bugs me.

The apple experience works well, but so generic, I can see the appeal for the masses

Soldato
But the loss is exactly the same? The percentage doesn't matter. Both phones went down in value by £500 or so.

This is absolutely true, but I’m sure the majority of people outside the OCUK Android forum would prefer to own an iPhone 11 Pro for 24 months than a Pixel 4.

Soldato
Apart from the looks I`m basically declaring take my money for the P6 Pro, lets hope it doesn't fall short of what's required for a premium device.

Google's custom-made Tensor processor is going to be at the heart of the Pixel 6 and Pixel 6 Pro smartphones, and we now have a pretty major clue about its performance level – as well as just how much Samsung has contributed to the component.

According to some digging done by GalaxyClub, the Whitechapel codename for the Tensor CPU matches up with an unreleased Samsung Exynos chip, the Exynos 9855. It looks like the Tensor chip and the Exynos 9855 could be one and the same.

We'll have to find out to know for sure, but if that is the case then it sounds like Samsung and Google have been working together on the Tensor/Exynos 9855 processor from the very beginning, and that Samsung is much more involved than previously thought.

We've heard about the Exynos 9855 before, but it has never appeared in a device. Based on the information we've got, it looks as though the processor will be mid-way between the CPUs used in the Galaxy S21 and the Galaxy S22 in terms of its speed.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apart from the looks I`m basically declaring take my money for the P6 Pro, lets hope it doesn't fall short of what's required for a premium device.

For once it seems like Google are all-in on the Pixel, rather than “here’s the phone, like yeah, whatever”.

I hope the early impressions are realised this time.

Associate
i'm both excited and nervous about the this phone.
excited because i'm a nexus/pixel fanboy
nervous because google are known for just abandoning tech, leaving users with no update

Associate
I'm probably the only.one but I really hope they still have the sense stuff on the phone I'm constantly using it and it would be difficult to get used to not having it and possibly keep me attached to this phone for even longer

Soldato
Then there's the decision about buy on launch outright, or wait a few months, I've been burnt before buying on launch only to see it drop significantly a few months later.
This time might be different though, apparently they are going to aggressively market it, IF this is true AND it performs very well the price drops probably won't be as brutal as before with some of the underwhelming iterations.

Back
Top Bottom