Google Pixel 7/7 Pro & Pixel Watch

Soldato
I do find the google offering very mundane, especially in the hardware department. Used to be a big fan back when they have the Nexus branding but even then it was mainly for the software. Now Samsung has caught up and personally think surpassed Google in that area.

Soldato
I'd been umming and aahing over Pixel 6 Pro / S22 / S22U a while back and eventually just stuck with my old S10 - I was particularly keen on a half decent telephoto camera so the S22 ended up off the list (70mm from 52mm wasn't enough of a jump for me), the S22U was just too expensive to justify and the Pixel 6 Pro didn't quite inspire me enough to pull the trigger.

The 7 Pro improving slightly on the 6 Pro with the 120mm telephoto camera and a 'free' watch thrown in that I may yet either sell or use to replace a Garmin watch has tipped the balance enough to have me place a pre-order :p

Soldato
Yeah that’s what I’m thinking as well.

Like that’s not me saying that I don’t want the watch to succeed-we need viable competitors to the Apple Watch, but you don’t see Apple saying “Buy an 14 Pro, get a Series 8 for free” do you…

Just doesn’t fill me with confidence. But then again, it took until the Series 3 for Apple to get going with their watches so hopefully if they stick with it they can get to that point as well.

What this guy said
Or they're trying to get people to buy back into the Wear OS ecosystem and what better way to build a big user base quickly and cheaply.

Based on previous Google attempts at anything new you're probably closer to the mark, but you never know :D

First Pixel watch so let's help saturate the market with a phone/watch combo and get people into the Google ecosystem.

I looked at upgrading my Pixel 6 but they'd only offer me £250-ish as a trade in so not worth it.

Soldato
Setting the heating from the watch seems great from a lazy point of view, although I have Hive and it'll probably only work with Nest I'd imagine?

Associate
Thought this was a 6PM event like usual :(

What's the major bug for their products going to be this year? A watch that can't tell the time accurately?

It uses an eSIM.

Yes I get that.. But was wondering how it works - does it clone the Sim in my phone - and is the phone provider happy with this? Or will I need a new subscription with an eSim issued? (then paying for a subscriptions).. The answer from Google seems to indicate that I can use my existing mobile subscription in 2 places?

Soldato
After a bit of faffing about cancelling orders and placing them again I managed to save £189.80 with codes.

Some more faff to come when the phones arrive! I think I'll make a new Google account, it's about time I updated things.

Associate
Desperately searching to see if it's an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor or a naff optical like the P6/P6P.

Nothing online yet, gsmarena says optical but I'm guessing that's speculation as it was published before release.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Desperately searching to see if it's an ultrasonic fingerprint sensor or a naff optical like the P6/P6P.

Nothing online yet, gsmarena says optical but I'm guessing that's speculation as it was published before release.
They would have banged on about it if they had improved it with an ultrasonic.

Soldato
Upgrading to the Pixel 7
Currently using the 6 Pro, but would rather something slightly smaller

The 7 pro offers nothing over the 7 that I feel I would use, at least not enough to justify the price difference and added size/weight

Soldato

GSM Arena list it as optical, though not sure what they've based that on.

Edit - spectacular reading fail from me there, you've obviously already seen GSM Arena :o

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be ordering the 7 Pro at the weekend I expect to replace my Pixel 4XL. Considering the larger display, the actual physical size is almost the same!
I was going to grab the watch to sell it, but seems a lot of people will do the same which may drop the prices too low to make it worth the hassle. The earbuds I'd maybe use - will look for reviews.

Associate
I caved, I said I wouldn't but I did.

7 Pro with 6 Pro Trade In & the pixel watch thrown in. It's a ne brainer.

Hope the FPS is better on the 7 Pro than on the 6 Pro. That was utter pants.

Thought this was a 6PM event like usual

I swear it's usually around 4pm but could be wrong.

Setting the heating from the watch seems great from a lazy point of view, although I have Hive and it'll probably only work with Nest I'd imagine?
It'll be a Google home thing, so any device connected to that, hive, nest, wiserheater

Back
Top Bottom