Google Pixel 7/7 Pro & Pixel Watch

Soldato
Just received mine, P7P and set it up at lunch. Initial impression is very good. Seems slick and a step up from my 7T. I'm missing that silence slider on the side though!

Soldato
Just ordered a Pixel 7, haven't had a new phone in about 6 years and current phone is a 5 year old one which I took from my partner after she upgraded.

Purchased outright as it it seemed to be overly expensive getting via a mobile contact. Direct from Google with a nice discount as I have a Google One membership.

Last edited:
Soldato
You'll also miss the fast charging!

Other than that I'd say the pixel is a great phone.
Yes that was a consideration but as I'm not a mobile gamer and mostly WFH I think it shouldn't be too much of an issue. The fast charging must be detrimental to the battery capacity over time? We just need someone to invent a much higher density battery but that's obviously not that easy or we'd have one by now. Must be billions in it for whoever can even double the life let alone get a week's worth out of a battery.

I think this thread shows that no phone will suit anyone 100%, it's just down to what compromises are you prepared to make. Luckily there are lots of choices out there.

Soldato
Just ordered a Pixel 7, haven't had a new phone in about 6 years and current phone is a 5 year old one which I took from my partner after she upgraded.

Purchased outright as it it seemed to be overly expensive getting via a mobile contact. Direct from Google with a nice discount as I have a Google One membership.
Nice. I found a contract, via USwitch, that worked out cheapest for me, sadly no discounts available. I usually buy outright.

Soldato
Yes that was a consideration but as I'm not a mobile gamer and mostly WFH I think it shouldn't be too much of an issue. The fast charging must be detrimental to the battery capacity over time? We just need someone to invent a much higher density battery but that's obviously not that easy or we'd have one by now. Must be billions in it for whoever can even double the life let alone get a week's worth out of a battery.

I think this thread shows that no phone will suit anyone 100%, it's just down to what compromises are you prepared to make. Luckily there are lots of choices out there.

I should have said the 'option' of fast charging.

It's there when you need it and not all the time.

Soldato
Just ordered a pixel 7 to replace my pixel 3xl, hopefully proves to be just as good.

Good deal as well 22 quid ,2 year contract 100gig data rest unlimited on three, no upfront cost either.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you go into settings>system>rules then you can set your phone to go into silent/vibrate when it gets to a certain location or connects to a certain wifi.
Useful function. I tend to use the slider to just mute the radio or use it at night. There are probably other options on the P7P I can use to replace it though.

Have to say the call quality on the P7P is amazing compared with my 7T, cuts out the background noise to nothing, even in windy conditions.

Last edited:
Soldato
Any obvious tricks for battery life on a 7A? Was away with work last week and it was atrocious, might have lasted a whole day but would have been touch and go, had to charge in the afternoon.

Seems OK with screen off. Streaming Tidal to Bluetooth headphones seems to rinse the battery more than I'd like, and any screen on time drains it fast.

Turned off 90hz, 5g, animations, face unlock, always OK screen etc, which has improved it, but still a bit crap.

Soldato
@mid_gen

What phone are you comparing battery life to. It was never going to be a battery champion the first place as the Tensor chip is a bit of a dog.
Pixel 3xl was a lot better. Nokia X30 much better.

I think turning off 5g has improved things....on the train journey home the phone got noticeably warm when passing through cities where it picked up 5g signal.

Soldato
Soldato

The chips twice as powerful.

Even endurance test shows its never going to be as good. The data is there.
It's not doing any different workloads, it's not rendering web pages any faster, I'm not running games or mining Bitcoin on the damn thing.

The fact it gets warm doing relatively little work tells me there's a software issue. A modern phone shouldn't get warm unless it's fast charging or running games.

The difference in real world battery life is striking, like half the battery, Nokia could go two days no problem, the 7a is dead in less than 12 hours if you use it on and off during the day.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's not doing any different workloads, it's not rendering web pages any faster, I'm not running games or mining Bitcoin on the damn thing.

The fact it gets warm doing relatively little work tells me there's a software issue. A modern phone shouldn't get warm unless it's fast charging or running games.

Like I said the tensor is a dog. I have it in my pixel 6 pro and it's terrible. Maybe it doesn't sleep well or the modem is power hungry.

I'm hoping for a big improvement in gen 3.

Last edited:
Associate
Anyone using a 7 pro with EE who has figured out how to turn off 5g?
EE disables the option for you to turn off 5G. Therefore need to use hidden settings page:

- Dial *#*#4636#*#*
- Default network option is: NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA
- Change to: LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA
- This excludes NR (NR is what they refer to 5G)

Soldato
EE disables the option for you to turn off 5G. Therefore need to use hidden settings page:

- Dial *#*#4636#*#*
- Default network option is: NR/LTE/GSM/WCDMA
- Change to: LTE/TDSCDMA/GSM/WCDMA
- This excludes NR (NR is what they refer to 5G)
Amazing thank you!

Back
Top Bottom