Google Pixel 7/7 Pro & Pixel Watch

Soldato
Expecting a Pixel Mini or for the Pixel to be smaller is probably a bit of a stretch when you consider Apple have just dropped the iPhone Mini after 2 generations because the sales were so poor.

Not enough people want small phones for them to be a worthwhile development path really.

Big phones sell.

Soldato
pixel 5 was the perfect size, I agree.. I went to iphone 13 pro from that but don't want anything bigger. Every company should ALWAYS make 2 sizes.

the small phone for us who want that and the big boy for those that want that. In the case of pixel 6 and now 7 all of them are BIG and even 6 was chunker to handle/pocket/use and I have decent size hands, I just cba fighting the phone constantly which is why I switched.

Soldato
More G2 spec leaks:

Looks like they're keeping the same CPU cores as the first Tensor chip. Was hoping they would at least up the A76 to the A78. X1 I'm completely fine with since the X series are overkill anyway. The A76 is 100MHz faster while the X1 is 50MHz faster, so some peak CPU performance improvement but a tiny one. GPU side it's switching from the Mali-G78 to the G710, which should be a big boost in GPU performance. That combined with using Samsung's 4nm LPE should mean the chip will throttle less (which is the current issue holding Tensor back) which means with long term usage (eg gaming) it might actually perform significantly better overall compared to Tensor.

Other changes is improved TPU, improved video encoding decoding (Tensor currently uses a Google decoder for AV1 and Samsung for older codecs), and improved ISP. And of course, a newer Samsung modem. Whether it will be a big improvement which hopefully matches the Qualcomm alternative we'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
More G2 spec leaks:

Looks like they're keeping the same CPU cores as the first Tensor chip. Was hoping they would at least up the A76 to the A78. X1 I'm completely fine with since the X series are overkill anyway. The A76 is 100MHz faster while the X1 is 50MHz faster, so some peak CPU performance improvement but a tiny one. GPU side it's switching from the Mali-G78 to the G710, which should be a big boost in GPU performance. That combined with using Samsung's 4nm LPE should mean the chip will throttle less (which is the current issue holding Tensor back) which means with long term usage (eg gaming) it might actually perform significantly better overall compared to Tensor.

Other changes is improved TPU, improved video encoding decoding (Tensor currently uses a Google decoder for AV1 and Samsung for older codecs), and improved ISP. And of course, a newer Samsung modem. Whether it will be a big improvement which hopefully matches the Qualcomm alternative we'll have to wait and see.
Thanks for this-very useful.

Soldato
More G2 spec leaks:

So, basically, the phone will be near enough identical in specs to the P6? Apart from it looking slightly different. I'll just stick with my P6 Pro for at least another year.

Soldato
It could do with faster charging. Even a solid 30W PD would do.

It barely does 23W here for long.

Autofocus on the ultrawide would mean it can do macro too. Better sensor on UW.

And Other than the modem I'm good. Oh yeah and goddamn face unlock.

Last edited:
Associate

Rumor | Compact Google Pixel 7 variant with flagship specs could be in the works​

Soldato
Looking like the screen curve has been reduced with the 7pro... That's a good thing at least!
Have to wonder what the other changes will amount to versus the 6 pro though. Not long to wait :)

Soldato
Associate
I am in the need of a new phone, currently running a Huawei P20 Pro thats starting to see better days.

Being honest I have never enjoyed samsung phones and dont fancy jumping to that ship.
So thinking of picking up a 7 Pro when it comes out.

Associate
I am in the need of a new phone, currently running a Huawei P20 Pro thats starting to see better days.

Being honest I have never enjoyed samsung phones and dont fancy jumping to that ship.
So thinking of picking up a 7 Pro when it comes out.

Samsung phones have come a LONG way since touchwiz, which will have been in place as far back as the P20... One UI is pretty great.

Back
Top Bottom