Google Pixel 8/8 Pro & Pixel Watch 2

I see (from HUKD) that the Pixel 8 can now be had for £506. I was really tempted by the slightly smaller device (than current Pixel 6) and brighter screen, but tbh I was kinda after the new photo features, which I think are Pro only, right? I think I'll sit tight on my 6 for now :( There's just not enough new to tempt me.
Jesus there's cheap. You think I can return my Pixel 8 to Google store?

Soldato
I was really tempted by the slightly smaller device (than current Pixel 6) and brighter screen
So I caved. Yesterday I was sat at a cafe and trying to use my Pixel 6 in the bright sunlight and I realised I was struggling to see the screen. "That's it! I'm buying the 8!"

Three didn't make it easy. Went online and it was sold out, but that's fine as I was going away to family last night and would prefer to go into a shop and grab it. Called Three and the guy was an idiot. Me simply wanting to know if the local shop had stock, him... I don't know what he was doing. "I have to set you up a profile", "Yes, but we need to setup a purchase, then I can see where has them", "Next I can tell you what you will pay monthly"... "What?! I just want to know if Edgware store has them in stock?!" After 17 minutes, I thanked him for his efforts buy politely let him know he had failed in a very simply request and had provided poor customer service to me.

I drove to the store and explained I just wanted to buy the phone, I could see there was a £10 one-off option online - "I can't, I'd get in a lot of trouble if I sell you one without a contract!" But actually the guy was actually really helpful. In the end, I bought one on contract, then an hour later the guy canceled the contract for me. I paid £250 upfront with 12 monthly payments of £20.25 to come. Kind of ideal actually. £493 all in.

So, the questions -

I'm on EE, should I/can I switch to an eSIM? (If so, how?)

I've setup Face Unlock, but now I lose notification info on the lock screen. Is there a way around this.

I'm enjoying the smaller form factor, but wonder if I should get a case. Is there a go to 'slim/barely there' case that is being recommended?

Thanks!

Associate
@AndyCr15 Re notification , I was the same I wondered why the notifcation wouldnt be on the lock screen with face unlock (there are little icons to say when you have stuff) then you realise that the face unlock is so good at unlocking when you try to look at the phone you would never see the notification before the phone unlocks so it makes sense.

Re eSim, on O2 it was as simple as getting the eSIM code from O2 and putting it in.

Last edited:
Soldato
@AndyCr15 Re notification , I was the same I wondered why the notifcation wouldnt be on the lock screen with face unlock (there are little icons to say when you have stuff) then you realise that the face unlock is so good at unlocking when you try to look at the phone you would never see the notification before the phone unlocks so it makes sense.

Re eSim, on O2 it was as simple as getting the eSIM code from O2 and putting it in.
I have mine set to keep the locks screen page as I like to see my notifications. Plus if you keep your finger on the sensor it takes you to the home-screen anyway.

Associate
Thanks. Actually, I should check, how simple is it if I try/test a different phone for a week? Should I keep the physical SIM for this?
If you might not keep the P8 then I would just hold onto your physical SIM, it would be dead simple then to swap back and forth (I have never done this with an eSIM, it might be just as easy but I have never tried)

Soldato
So I caved. Yesterday I was sat at a cafe and trying to use my Pixel 6 in the bright sunlight and I realised I was struggling to see the screen. "That's it! I'm buying the 8!"

Three didn't make it easy. Went online and it was sold out, but that's fine as I was going away to family last night and would prefer to go into a shop and grab it. Called Three and the guy was an idiot. Me simply wanting to know if the local shop had stock, him... I don't know what he was doing. "I have to set you up a profile", "Yes, but we need to setup a purchase, then I can see where has them", "Next I can tell you what you will pay monthly"... "What?! I just want to know if Edgware store has them in stock?!" After 17 minutes, I thanked him for his efforts buy politely let him know he had failed in a very simply request and had provided poor customer service to me.

I drove to the store and explained I just wanted to buy the phone, I could see there was a £10 one-off option online - "I can't, I'd get in a lot of trouble if I sell you one without a contract!" But actually the guy was actually really helpful. In the end, I bought one on contract, then an hour later the guy canceled the contract for me. I paid £250 upfront with 12 monthly payments of £20.25 to come. Kind of ideal actually. £493 all in.

So, the questions -

I'm on EE, should I/can I switch to an eSIM? (If so, how?)

I've setup Face Unlock, but now I lose notification info on the lock screen. Is there a way around this.

I'm enjoying the smaller form factor, but wonder if I should get a case. Is there a go to 'slim/barely there' case that is being recommended?

Thanks!
Just been to my local Three shop to see if i could get the offer instore, but no joy.

Never got offered any other deal, the guy asked his manager and was told they are under strict instuctions not to sell at that offer price.

Was expecting a hard sell on a contract deal, but he just walked away and so i left.

Soldato
That's odd given you can buy at that price on their website right now (well, technically it's out of stock) -

MBZiGWq.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Just been to my local Three shop to see if i could get the offer instore, but no joy.

Never got offered any other deal, the guy asked his manager and was told they are under strict instuctions not to sell at that offer price.

Was expecting a hard sell on a contract deal, but he just walked away and so i left.
2 other options

£475 PIXEL 8 via token trade in

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/go...6gb-ps659-ps534-after-trade-in-w-code-4244026

Or a bargain P7 256GB

Soldato
TBH it was more a impulse purchase so not that bothered.

Sold a phone for £170 and can get £90 for the one i have now, so with the offer price it would have been £243 for the pixel 8.

Soldato
I went for the Pixel 8 at £503 from three on payg, ordered Sat 18th for store collection, went in, no record at all of the order number, so i left .

I then placed an order online for delivery on Wednesday, all good, happy with it.

I then ring three and try and cancel the store order, they cant find it on the system.

I then fire off an email to the chairman, get an email back from him, then a call today from the exec office, they say the order is missing, even though the funds have gone from my account.

I mention to him that i even havent got an invoice from three for my order, just an order number not staing what ive bought, he says he will sort it out and compensate me for my troubles.

He's calling me back on Monday.

Associate
Good lord... I mean it's good that the chairman is communicating with you, but that's absurd.

I left Three after they reneged on their promise not to bring back roaming charges. Guy in the callcentre sent me a copy and pasted spiel about why they had to do it because of Brexit, and that other companies would do it too.
I told him a) Brexit did not force them to bring back charges, they did it because they wanted to and b) so what if other companies *might* do it, they hadn't all yet.
Screw 'em!

Soldato
Should have grabbed that deal from 3 last weekend but was too slow, my fault. Hoping for another such great deal today or this weekend. If not then I guess I will wait a bit longer for another great deal to show up.

Back
Top Bottom