Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Associate
I have noticed, when I press play on the widget, I have to wait about 5 seconds for any sound to play. Does everyone have this?

No problems here on my Pixel XL. It's fine on 4g and WiFi. I also don't have the Bluetooth issue some people are reporting. The only issue I have had which left me scratching my head for a while was excessive battery drain. Turns out it was GMD immersive app. Pretty much every time I updated an app, I would get this battery issue. What i do now is uninstall GMD after updating my apps, reinstall, and every thing is hunky dory.

Caporegime
Sad thing is, it will also be priced £600+ :p

If they also go with rounded display corners, hopefully they don't go as aggressive with the rounded display corners like the GS 8, GS 8 rounded corners just don't look right at all.

Soldato
Times have changed. Android is so stable now the flag ships will always charge whatever apple does. It used to be they undercut. But nope not anymore they puff their chests out and say we are equal or better and therefore that's the price :)

Associate
Updated to 7.1.2 already via OTA. But I dont notice any performance difference as the updates are mostly bug fixes.

Anyway, who here take pictures mostly in HDR+? I take my photos only in HDR+ (as they have the best result for just point and shoot purpose) but I see the CPU getting pushed to its limit here.. I usually take pictures of my kids in rapid succession and seems like the phone app cant keep up. It chokes and becomes laggy after taking photos in succession.

Soldato
It has to calculate the final image with every HDR image taken so slowing down after a bunch of photos taken in quick succession doesn't sound that unreasonable.

Soldato
i am already excieted by the pixel 2, just imagine if we get a S8 style display with pure Google snappiness

Considering how much they charged for last one with the looks and build quality of an iPhone 2, whilst I don't say it's not possible, I think we'll be looking at £749 for basic model if that happens. It's still going to have same hardware as the s8 mostly though.

If this was a £300- 400 phone like OP I wouldn't worry about the looks but oh god how did google get away with that I don't know. Or perhaps they didnt, looking at sales, both Samsung and apple sold 20-30x more handsets. Let's see if google has learnt their lesson.

Soldato
Updated to 7.1.2 already via OTA. But I dont notice any performance difference as the updates are mostly bug fixes.

Anyway, who here take pictures mostly in HDR+? I take my photos only in HDR+ (as they have the best result for just point and shoot purpose) but I see the CPU getting pushed to its limit here.. I usually take pictures of my kids in rapid succession and seems like the phone app cant keep up. It chokes and becomes laggy after taking photos in succession.

Have you noticed this problem since 7.1.2? I only ask, as I have the Pixel on 7.1.1 presently, and often rattle off a stack of shots at once, and have never once experienced any lag with the phone...

Soldato
How can people complain about the looks, it just looks like every other phone? :confused:

Given me performance and functionality over aesthetics any day.

I personally can't stand what Samsung do with their Touchwiz skin, Proprietary apps and slow approach to patches / OS updates. However, having tried out one, I feel that the Galaxy S8 (or more specifically the lack of bezel) is a game changer in terms of how people will expect flagship phones to look. It makes other flagship phones look pretty dated in terms of design and the screens very small next to it. I'm sure Google/Apple/etc will catch up soon enough though.

Plus, as much as I love the design, it'll take more than pure hardware alone to convince me to buy a Samsung handset! I currently have a Nexus 5x and a future Apple iPhone or Google Pixel are the only two handsets I'd personally consider buying as an upgrade unless Google revive the Nexus line.

Last edited:
Soldato
How can people complain about the looks, it just looks like every other phone? :confused:

Given me performance and functionality over aesthetics any day.

I really like how the Pixel looks and feels (well maybe a slight aside with the fele as without a case it is a touch on the slippery side) but other than that I'm really enjoying it.
I've also said before I like the chunky bezels and in particular the chin (yes that's right :p), it gives you somewhere to hold the thing! Coming from the S6E+ handling it was a nightmare trying not to trigger a touch on the screen.

Overall I just like how plain and understated it is and yes it looks like an iPhone but I don't mind. Quite frankly I'm happy that when I bring the phone out I don't get a chorus of oh's and ah's and a barrage of questions asking what it is.

Soldato
Well in what some may seem a crazy decision, yesterday I bought a 32gb pixel to replace my 64gb oneplus 3.

The thought of spending double the money on something which on the face of it, is a side-step (in some areas a downgrade storage and ram) did make me wonder if I was doing the right thing.

I've previously had oneplus phones and been annoyed with the amount of bugs, the 3 was no different (blurred photos, I know oneplus say they fixed it 2 versions ago but I'm not convinced, wifi and bluetooth drop outs and so on).

The Pixel is solid. No issues whatsoever. Wifi never dropped out once last night and for the first time in my cars history it paired to the bluetooth and streamed spotify first time!! WOW

Perhaps I should have gone for the 128gb XL model but I fancied a smaller phone this time and the unlimited photo uploads swung me towards the 32gb model. I'm not heavy on apps. That and paying £599 which was already a bitter pill to swallow.

They had the galaxy s8 on display, but I do like vanilla android with fast updates and even the smaller s8 is massive!

It does have an iphone look to it (the front anyway) which is fine by me. The icing on the cake really is having only ONE browser app, ONE gallery app, ONE calendar app (yay for the pixel rom)

Last edited:
Associate
It has to calculate the final image with every HDR image taken so slowing down after a bunch of photos taken in quick succession doesn't sound that unreasonable.

Sounds about right. Lets see if the S8 will have such problems. I have read that its camera will do the same processing but on a hardware level.

Have you noticed this problem since 7.1.2? I only ask, as I have the Pixel on 7.1.1 presently, and often rattle off a stack of shots at once, and have never once experienced any lag with the phone...

Yes this problem has been happening since I got the phone on release day. It probably has to do with processing a large amount of HRD+ photos in the background.

Associate
They had the galaxy s6 on display, but I do like vanilla android with fast updates and even the smaller s6 is massive!

It does have an iphone look to it (the front anyway) which is fine by me. The icing on the cake really is having only ONE browser app, ONE gallery app, ONE calendar app (yay for the pixel rom)

I'm glad you like it, they are expensive, but the quality of the UX is sometimes worth paying for.... I'm a little puzzled that the suggestion of an S6 being massive though, its only 0.1" bigger :D

Soldato
Very tempted by one of these. I'm just struggling in my head to spend the same on a pixel as I would on an s8. I love the stock experience and the size but I just wonder whether I could get more for my money by going for an S8 and putting a stock like them on it.

For basically the same money, what would you say drew you to the Pixel over perhaps the S7e or similar competitor?

Soldato
For basically the same money, what would you say drew you to the Pixel over perhaps the S7e or similar competitor?
Though I have a Nexus 6P rather than a Pixel I flat out refused the buy the S7E due to how poor it was to hold. It's all looks over ergonomics, and though I've not tried it myself yet, the S8 looks far worse and impossible to use one-handed with the silly thin bottom bezel combined with the edge. The utterly retarded position of the fingerprint scanner next to the camera, confirmed in reviews, wouldn't be a complete deal breaker for me, but combined with the screen is enough for me to say no to the S8, irrespective of price.

I don't mind attractive phones of course - on the contrary - but at least consider ergonomics Samsung.

Stock Android would be the other killer (and in keeping the N6P the front-facing speakers). The only thing I'd personally miss that's on the S7/S8 that's not on either my 6P or the Pixels is wireless charging.

Back
Top Bottom