Google Pixel and Pixel XL

Soldato
Made the jump from N5X to Pixel after I got the bootlooping issue.

What can I do with the pixel over and above the N5X? Pretty much have the same layout, so it's a prettier N5X currently with a nicer camera. But I'm sure there's more to it that I haven't found yet.

Soldato
Just fitted my Concrete dbrand skin. Very nice although I could certainly improve on the finish next time.

Impressed with the Screen on time so far, sitting with 34% battery left and have had 4 and a half hours Screen on time so far. And that's with it having been off charge since 6.30am.

Permabanned
Made the jump from N5X to Pixel after I got the bootlooping issue.

What can I do with the pixel over and above the N5X? Pretty much have the same layout, so it's a prettier N5X currently with a nicer camera. But I'm sure there's more to it that I haven't found yet.

Yes, I agree that the hardware is better looking than the Nexus and has a nicer camera. Battery life I believe is also better and screen display is very nice too.

But the real improvements are to the software, esp the overall responsiveness.

I have found that I spend much more time talking to my Pixel XL than I ever did with any prior Nexus phone. In the past perhaps 10% of my "input" was by voice. Now I find I am getting close to 40-50%: voice to text is amazing---emails, messages, etc.

I also own Chromecast, Nest Thermostat and Nest Protect and Google Home, having recently installed Google WiFi. The amount of "intelligence" built into these devices is extremely impressive. Small example: when I ask Google Home a question with my Pixel nearby, the question is answered by voice from Home with the Pixel knowing Home is nearby and my preferred means of oral response. In other words, Google is getting all its devices to sync with each other extremely well.

I appreciate you can do many of the same things with your Nexus 5 now that Google Assistant is built into the software but I would expect you will find the overall responsiveness and tendency to try new things, many linked to voice, with your Pixel more readily than with your Nexus.

I saw this link earlier today. Seems Google is placing a huge bet on voice technology:

http://fortune.com/2017/04/19/google-opens-up-speech-recognition/

Last edited:
Soldato
Do you guys use a screen protector? I'm using one at the moment but I'm getting the halo effect around the edges. I'm considering using it without one but I'm not sure whether microscratches will happen and then bug me.

Thoughts?

Associate
There's an article on the verge right now about how basically screen protectors on curved screens are a mess nowadays and we're probably better off using naked screens.

Soldato
There's an article on the verge right now about how basically screen protectors on curved screens are a mess nowadays and we're probably better off using naked screens.
That's actually what triggered me to post. I doesn't talk about micro scratches though as I find that I notice them on my tempered glass protector. Maybe I'll just go for it and see what happens...

Soldato
I'm using the G-Color Tempered Glass Screen Protector (got from the rainforest for £5.99 for a pair) and it is top notch. I've never used tempered glass protectors and having witnessed the mess that is a curved screen protector on my previous S6 Edge+ I was very pleasantly surprised with this one.
Admittedly I was onto the second one within about a week of receiving the box. I hadn't the first one on a full day before the phone slipped out of my pocket and down inside of the recliner. It must have hit something hard on the way down because there was a crack on the protector. I lifted the protector ever so slightly to make sure that the screen wasn't also cracked but this then ruined the adhesive and it never sat right again so off it came. The second one has been on now for almost 6 months and it's great, hardly even notice it on and produces no halo or rainbow effects and doesn't suffer from micro scratches - it's almost as good as an actual screen.

Soldato
I'm using the G-Color Tempered Glass Screen Protector (got from the rainforest for £5.99 for a pair) and it is top notch. I've never used tempered glass protectors and having witnessed the mess that is a curved screen protector on my previous S6 Edge+ I was very pleasantly surprised with this one.
Admittedly I was onto the second one within about a week of receiving the box. I hadn't the first one on a full day before the phone slipped out of my pocket and down inside of the recliner. It must have hit something hard on the way down because there was a crack on the protector. I lifted the protector ever so slightly to make sure that the screen wasn't also cracked but this then ruined the adhesive and it never sat right again so off it came. The second one has been on now for almost 6 months and it's great, hardly even notice it on and produces no halo or rainbow effects and doesn't suffer from micro scratches - it's almost as good as an actual screen.
That's the one I had been using, weird as I was getting a halo. Perhaps I should try the second one. Any tips for application?

Associate
Been having worrying problems with my Pixel XL. When I plug the phone into a wall socket it doesn't start charging automatically like normal. I get notification like when it is connected to a computer and when I hit charge this device it starts to charge.

Got in touch with Google Support who have been great so far and they did the usual steps like reset the phone etc. He got me to check in UI Tweaker and turn a setting on and off which I did. But now nothing seems to work I don't even get that notification like before. Just emailed them back to let them know. So shall see where we go from here.

Soldato
That's the one I had been using, weird as I was getting a halo. Perhaps I should try the second one. Any tips for application?

What I found really useful was the fact that everything you need comes in the pack which helps a lot. The only tip I have for fitting screen protectors is good old steamy bathroom ;)

It works like a treat to keep dust and other particles down and a little bit of steam or water vapour on the screen or protector won't do any harm.

Soldato
Screen protectors suck. Cheap bit of plastic over a crafted engineeried screen.

I use mine naked and run the risk. I have 3 or 4 cases in a draw and use them if I am wearing shorts or playing sport / bike rides.

After all you don't wear a condom all the time. Just when you need it.

Soldato
Tempered glass screen protectors are fantastic, if you do suffer the odd scratch, take it off and replace, then it's like having a whole new screen installed but it only cost a fiver and took 2 minutes to install :p I miss not being able to get a decent one for my S8 to be honest.

Plastic ones are the devil and ruin the entire experience of having a decent phone.

Back
Top Bottom